Best Low Fat Zucchini Bread Recipe

My dog, Cookie, is wild for zucchini. Also cauliflower, broccoli, kale, and cabbage. You could say that my pup has a healthy appetite. This morning, I left a slice of zucchini bread on my desk where I thought she couldn’t reach. Then I heard some scuffling, followed by some gobbling. She swiped that slice of bread and ate half before I could grab it.

This dog is my soulmate, I tell you. I captured it on video, if you’d like to see it. That was all to say that this zucchini bread recipe is Cookie and Kate approved. It’s fluffy and moist, lightly spiced, and full of confetti-like green flecks of zucchini.

Healthy

If you’ve enjoyed zucchini bread before, let me point out a few differences between my recipe and the standard recipes. Here are five reasons to love this healthier zucchini bread:

Healthy Zucchini Bread With Apple Sauce

If you love this zucchini bread, you’ll also enjoy my banana bread,  apple muffins,  carrot muffins or banana muffins, you’re going to love this one. Don’t miss the maple-sweetened blueberry muffins in my cookbook!

This fluffy zucchini bread recipe is made healthier with whole grains, honey (or maple syrup) and coconut oil instead of butter. It is easily made vegan and/or gluten free (see notes). Recipe yields 1 loaf.

*A note on oils: I love coconut oil here. I used unrefined coconut oil and can hardly taste it in the final product. Olive oil will lend an herbal note to the bread, if you’re into that. Vegetable oil has a neutral flavor, but the average vegetable/canola oil is highly processed, so I recommend using cold-pressed sunflower oil or grapeseed oil if possible.

Irresistibly Moist Vegan Gluten Free Zucchini Bread Recipe (gf)

Make it vegan: Use maple syrup instead of honey, replace the eggs with flax eggs and choose non-dairy milk (I used almond milk) or water.

Make it gluten free: I haven’t tried myself, but I have heard from a reader that Bob’s Red Mill’s all-purpose gluten-free mix worked well here.

Make it lower in fat: I would argue that this bread contains a healthy amount of fat, but you can replace the oil with applesauce if you’re following a low-fat diet.

Paleo Zucchini Bread (gluten Free, Dairy Free)

The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice. See our full nutrition disclosure here.

Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #.

Subscribe to our email newsletter! As a thank you, we'll give you our welcome guide with 5 printable dinner recipes. (It's all free.)

Double Chocolate Protein Zucchini Bread

© Cookie and Kate 2010 - 2023. All rights reserved. Cookie and Kate is a registered trademark of Cookie and Kate LLC.Healthy Zucchini Bread made with applesauce, whole wheat flour and no oil. Enjoy this super delicious, easy and moist recipe with your surplus garden zucchini or anytime of the year for breakfast or snacks.

This recipe is a result of my local farmer’s zucchini season in full swing. Yay! Therefore, super easy recipe and truly healthy zucchini bread.

This recipe has no white flour, no refined sugar and no oil without sacrificing the flavor or moistness. Freshly grated zucchini and applesauce make it moist and low fat. Honey (or maple syrup) and cinnamon add a really nice flavor and keep it low sugar at same time.

Low Calorie Zucchini Bread

If you can find locally sourced zucchini during the summer season, that is the best! Otherwise, look for organic zucchini since you do not peel the zucchini and will be eating the skin.

There is no need to eat dessert for breakfast. This healthy zucchini bread is delicious and perfect as a healthy breakfast idea or to fuel your afternoon.

Combine all ingredients, except zucchini and flour, and whisk well. Mixture will be foamy and bubbly because applesauce reacts with baking soda right away.

-

Best Gluten Free Zucchini Bread

Grate zucchini on large holes or medium size holes of a box grater. The only difference is that coarsely grated zucchini will have more prominent flecks of zucchini in baked bread.

If you would rather “hide the veggies”, use medium holes. I have tried and loved both methods. Also, I do not recommend to grate or “zest” zucchini.

Do not squeeze and do not pat dry. Just pack tightly 2 cups. We want all the juices for moist and healthy whole wheat zucchini bread.

Low Fat Low Calorie Zucchini Bread

Do not salt, squeeze or pat dry your zucchini! For this healthy quick bread with zucchini, the moisture plays a crucial role in the end result.

Add flour and stir until well mixed. I wouldn’t be too concerned with over mixing but folding ingredients into the batter gently is always a good baking practice.

Pour into a loaf pan and bake for 60 mins. Photo shows a longer and skinnier loaf pan because I like to experiment. However, regular sized 9 x 5 inches loaf pan is all you need.

Healthy Zucchini Bread With Pineapple

Please follow the recipe: I can’t stress enough that baking is a science and 99% times deviations from original recipe result in baking fails.

All-purpose flour and gluten-free flour blend may make bread dry. I would reduce to 1 3/4 cups and possibly it will work but I haven’t tried. I think you can get away with half whole wheat and half white flour, for sure.

Recipe:

Oat flour will not work as it will make bread gummy. However, I believe one of the readers tried successfully 50% whole wheat flour and 50% oat flour.

The Best Classic Zucchini Bread

While I have not tested this, some readers have reduced the sweetener to 1/2 cup with good results. The key is to keep the balance of wet to dry ingredients. So possibly, add equal amount of applesauce for reduced amount of liquid sweetener.

Also as I have more experience with baking, you can use dry monk fruit sweetener or erythritol like Lakanto. I would add more, about 1/2 cup, applesauce though. Again, please let me know if you try.

Some readers have used grated apple, mashed banana or pumpkin puree and had great results! Let me know in the comments, if this works for you.

Healthy Zucchini Bread • Fit Mitten Kitchen

Yes. You should be able to make 14 regular sized muffins and bake at 22-25 minutes. Can also just follow this very similar healthy zucchini muffins recipe.

While most of the time, our family enjoys this bread as is fresh from the oven, here are some other fun ways to serve this best zucchini bread recipe!

Store: Quick bread dries out fast if you leave it in the open. I like to place zucchini bread in a resealable Ziploc bag and store in a pantry away from direct sunlight for up to 3 days.

Diabetic Zucchini Bread (low Sugar, Low Calorie, Low Fat ) Recipe

Freeze: Bake zucchini bread and cool completely. I recommend you do not slice bread before freezing. It retains its moisture better this way.

-

Place in a gallon size Ziploc bag, let out as much air as possible and seal. Freeze for up to 3 months.

Thaw: Defrost on a counter. Takes about 3-4 hours. Zucchini bread will taste just like freshly baked. Pop it in a toaster for a minute for that freshly baked bread warmth and aromas.

Low Sugar Zucchini Bread Recipe

Store: Covered or in a resealable bag in a cool dry place for up to 3 days. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Defrost on a counter which takes about 3-4 hours.

Can I use almond flour? No because almond flour is ground up almonds and acts differently. Luckily, I have this foolproof almond flour zucchini bread recipe.

Serving: 1 slice | Calories: 148 kcal | Carbohydrates: 34 g | Protein: 3 g | Fat: 1 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Cholesterol: 14 mg | Sodium: 291 mg | Fiber: 3 g | Sugar: 19 g

The Best Healthy Protein Zucchini Bread (actually!)

Welcome! I grew up in Ukraine watching my grandma cook with simple ingredients. I have spent the last 11 years making it my mission to help you cook quick and easy meals for your family!