German Chocolate Bread Recipe

Some of my favorite posts on the blog come from those moments when I’m cooking or baking and the results are so amazing that I can’t wait to share.  This is one of those posts.  It started with an overflowing basket of bananas on my kitchen counter.  I figured I’d make our favorite Coconut Pecan Banana Bread after a reader recently commented on how much she enjoyed it with my suggestion of chocolate chips.  So…I had to experiment!

I remember loving German chocolate cake as a kid. How can any combination of chocolate, coconut and pecans be bad? But, in all honesty…I can’t tell you the last time I’d even seen a German chocolate cake.  It doesn’t seem to be as popular as it was back then, but its history may surprise you…

German

, a product called for in the original recipe.  It was a sweetened chocolate made especially for baking and developed by Samuel German.  The recipe for the cake specifically, came from a Mrs. George Clay, from Texas, who submitted it to a local newspaper.  Classic to Southern baking, she included coconut and pecans.  Within just one year, that recipe became widely popular and soon after, was printed on the back of baking chocolate packages.

German Chocolate Loaf Cake

I’m more of a bread baker…not so much a cake baker. And really…I can slice off a piece of banana bread any time of the day without having to explain myself.  I mean, calling cake breakfast just doesn’t always fly.  This bread…well, it’s as satisfying as cake, but much less sugary and so much less fat.

This bread is sweet, but not overly so. It’s just enough to satisfy any sweet tooth. Between the sweetened coconut, chocolate chips and banana, you really don’t need a lot of additional sugar. And honestly, my family looked surprised when I told them it had about half the amount of sugar as most banana bread recipes.  I’m fairly certain they liked it anyway…it was gone in one day!

This yummy bread tastes like dessert, with sweet bits of coconut, crunchy and buttery pecans and little bites of chocolate chips. This may become your favorite, lightened up banana bread.

German Chocolate Bread Pudding — Home

I like to use coconut palm sugar in place of granulated sugar. The jury is still out on the nutritional benefit of using coconut palm sugar, but it is certainly minimally refined compared to granulated sugar. Feel free to substitute with granulated sugar in this recipe if you'd like.This Vegan German Chocolate Loaf Cake is a rich and moist chocolate cake baked in a loaf pan, with the traditional nutty pecan and coconut caramel filling running through the middle!

Anytime coconut is involved, any dessert has the potential to turn into one of my favorites!  I LOVE me a slice of classic German Chocolate Cake!  However, I hardly ever get around to making intricate layer cakes! This loaf cake version comes to the rescue! It is easier to put together—no layer cakes to fuss over—and it doesn’t lack one bit in the flavor department. Rich and chocolatey with the classic nutty caramel pecan filling, this easy vegan loaf cake is really hard to resist. I think you’ll love it!

-

Hmmm – what’s not to love about a slice of rich and dense vegan chocolate loaf cake that perfectly sandwiches a caramel-y layer of coconut and pecans? Add a generous drizzle of dark chocolate and we’re in dessert heaven!

German Chocolate Bread Pudding

Soak the dates in hot water for at least 15 minutes, then drain. Blend the soaked dates with the milk, and maple syrup until well blended.

If you haven’t toasted the pecans ,coconut yet, add the pecans to a skillet over medium heat, and toast for 3-4 minutes, and add in the coconut and continue to toast for another 2-3 minutes.

German

Heat the milk until it is hot, then add in all of the rest of the wet ingredients. Add the dry to the wet ingredients, and mix well until you get a somewhat thick batter. If the batter is too thick, add in a tbsp or more of non dairy milk.

Brookshire's Double Layer Round German Chocolate Cake

Add half of the batter to a lined 9×5 inch loaf pan, even it out, then top it with half of the frosting mixture. Add in the rest of the batter, then top it with the rest of the frosting mixture.

Bake at 375 degrees F for 55 minutes. Cover the pan after the first 35 minutes so that the frosting doesn’t get too crusty or burnt.

German

Once the cake has been sitting in the pan for 15 minutes, take it out of the pan. You can additionally add a drizzle of melted chocolate.

German Chocolate Snack Cake With Coconut Pecan Frosting

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ If you Love the Recipe, Please consider rating it using stars in comments! It helps readers and helps more people find the recipe online! I love hearing from you all! ⭐⭐⭐⭐My favorite banana bread recipe gets a nutty chocolate chunk upgrade, making this quick bread a dessert lovers dream. To say I have a fetish with German Chocolate anything and everything is a severe understatement. Proof in the chocolate pudding is right here. I could try and blame it on my German heritage, but let’s just say it like it is: I am a load-it-up-with-all-the-nuts-chocolate lover and I have no willpower when this flavor-bomb combo is in sight. I mean, have you ever had Baskin Robbins German Chocolate Cake ice cream? Has chocolate ever been considered a part of our DNA? Apparently so! Who-da thunk that someone (not me) was likely to investigate? My favorite part of this banana bread is all the additional fixins, but the secret is what lies under the toppings, and proof that beauty is more than skin deep. This banana bread started off where all banana breads get their baking inspiration: from super ripe bananas. For me this happened as I was doing my nearly daily wandering of the produce aisle of my Smiths Marketplace, where I spied a threesome of super ripe bananas bound in “alert! super ripe” tape,  just begging to be bought. Smith’s has a shelf where they display veggies and fruits that are still totally nutritionally sound but maybe just shy of being beauty queens. And I gotta say, I find some fine deals there and once cooked, nobody but me knows they may not be trophy winners in the looks department. Blemished? A bit. Verging on the downward side of attractiveness? Absolutely. But these two physical hallmarks are symbols of sweet mashable magic that may not make them pretty to look at on the outside, but are what make these babies prime in becoming the quick bread dreams are made of. Toasting chopped pecans and extra large chunks of flaked coconut (I find it in the natural ingredients bulk aisle) add a deeper taste to what I adore in German Chocolate flavors that are mixed into the batter and then also sprinkled on top. In this recipe I used my favorite dark chocolate chunks, but you could certainly give semi-sweet regular chips or chunks a mix-in too. I thought about adding a drizzle of the rich, caramelish frosting that is the final step of most German Chocolate desserts but in the end, I decided to keep it simple in its deliciousness. Now look at that. Isn’t she pretty? Just goes to show,  beauty always shines brightest from the inside. If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating on this recipe below and leave a comment, take a photo and tag me on Instagram with #eats.

We send good emails. Subscribe to  and have each post plus exclusive content only for our subscribers delivered straight to your e-mail box.

German

As always, thank you for reading and for supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. All opinions are always my own. 

German Chocolate Cheesecake Cake