Loaf Egg Bread Recipe

When you have a flock of backyard chickens you are frequently looking for ways to use up fresh eggs. We have German pancakes on repeat over here because they are a great way to put those eggs to use! I’m thinking that egg bagels may be in our future too.

I took our favorite Amish white bread recipe and made a few adaptations to create these delicious egg bread loaves. Rich, buttery, soft, and so so yummy. My family likes this better than Amish white bread!

Egg

Egg bread uses milk instead of water, butter instead of oil, and adds 3 eggs. The egg yolks give the bread a slightly yellow color. You can brush the tops of the loaves with melted butter or an egg wash right out of the oven. I like using melted butter because it adds great flavor. An egg wash would give the loaves a golden, crusty top, and if you’d like to sprinkle the loaves with seeds it gives them something to stick to.

Homemade Challah Bread {step By Step}

Heat milk, sugar, and butter in a microwave-safe bowl (or heat over the stove) until the butter begins to melt. Stir. The milk should be around 115-120 degrees. This should take around 90 seconds.

In a large mixing bowl combine 3 cups of the flour, yeast, and salt. Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients. Add eggs and mix well. Add the remaining 3 cups of flour and mix until soft dough forms. The dough will be soft and slightly stickier than other yeast bread.

Turn dough out on a lightly floured surface and knead for 3 minutes. Place dough in an oiled bowl and cover it with a damp cloth or plastic. Let rise in a warm location for 1 hour.

Nasi Lemak Lover: Egg White Plain Loaf Bread 蛋白土司

Bake loaves for 30 minutes. Brush with butter. Let loaves sit in pans for 5 minutes before transferring them to wire racks to cool.

Wrap bread in plastic and store at room temperature for 3-4 days. Bread freezes well and can also store in the freezer to thaw at a later date.

I have a Kitchenaid stand mixer that I use on a regular basis with the dough hook on low speed, but honestly, most of the time I mix my bread by hand with a Danish dough whisk. Works great!

Simple White Bread, Easy Homemade Bread

I always use bread flour or all-purpose, whichever one I have on hand. My favorite brand is King Arthur. You can use all white flour or a mixture of white and wheat flour. I have not used this recipe for 100% whole wheat bread, but I’m sure you could.

For the most part, I use whatever yeast is available. Most of the time it’s the instant yeast that comes in a large package from Sam’s Club. When I use dry active yeast I add 10-15 minutes to the rise time.

A warm place is a perfect place for yeast to do its thing. I preheat my oven for 60 seconds then shut the heat off. I place my bowl of dough with a damp cloth or plastic wrap (that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray) covering it inside my oven.

Spring Egg Bread Loaf (vegetarian) — Ohcarlene

Use a shower cap to cover your bowl. They come in a pack of 10 on Amazon or at Walmart for a couple of bucks and can be reused over and over!

Welcome! I'm Brandy, mother to 5 darling kiddos and a cute black lab named Toby. My husband is in the Coast Guard so we've lived all over the place, turning each house into a home. I love baking, sewing, making cute things with my kids, and sharing what I've learned with all of you!

Homemade

Disclaimer: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com without any additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.This has popped up on my menu plan a few times here and there and lots of you have asked for the recipe. But it’s taken me FOREVER to get around to posting it.

Egg Bread Loaf — Cristaudo's

This is a soft, slightly sweet white bread. It’s got a more tender crumb than regular white sandwich bread, partly because it’s made with milk, not water, and partly because it has more fat in it, in the form of eggs.

I often use it to make panini because it’s firm enough to hold up to the grill pan but also soft enough to compress the way a panini should.

(IMPORTANT NOTE: Add only enough flour to make the dough soft. The amount of flour necessary will vary depending on the type of flour you use, how you measure your flour, the humidity of your home, and so on. Go by touch, not by the cups of flour.)

The Best Keto Egg White Bread

We’re going for a nice, soft dough here, people! Again, add flour based on feel, not so much on the cup measurements.

You want it to be nice and hot by the time your dough is done rising because loaves that go into a hot oven will rise better and brown better than loaves that go into a cold oven.

Egg

They are so, so, so much better than the rickety ones I use to own, and I love that the cross-hatch design on these means that baked goods don’t sag down between the bars.

Eggless Banana Bread

(By the way, if you’ve been having trouble with your yeast bread and you need some help figuring out what went wrong, read this post all about troubleshooting common yeast bread problems.)

You can make shorter loaves by using larger loaf pans. Or you can halve the recipe and make two loaves in the 8x4 inch loaf pans.

I looked but no one seemed to comment on this. You list active dry yeast, but the treatment and water temp correlates to what other websites say for using rapid rise/instant yeast in place of active dry. I have TONS of rapid rise because in 2020 during covid that's all I could find, and had to find it online. I'm going to try this recipe as the instructions say, but use rapid rise. Hope it works! My bread tummy is starving!

How To Make Homemade Egg Bread

As I understand it, rapid rise is different than instant yeast. I use instant yeast interchangeably with active dry, but I don't use rapid rise.

Thank you for posting this recipe - I was looking for an eggy, more savory, loaf for grilled cheese and this turned out perfectly. I cut in 1/2 and put a loaf in my two 1.5 loaf pans. They puffed perfectly during the second rise and rose like crazy in the oven. I tried 2 different shaping techniques (oblong/roll/roll and stretch/fold/pinch) and the latter actually made for a much higher loaf that was browner on the top - go figure?!

Keto

For anyone in higher elevations looking around the interwebz for weights, here’s what I did: 4 cups (480 grams) APF + 4 tablespoons during the machine knead. After the initial mix of flour and milk, butter, sugar, salt, I kneaded for 4 minutes, let it rest for 3 and kneaded again for 2 at Speed 4 with the dough hook on my Kitchenaid. This made for a perfect loose dough that had no trouble rising. It was oddly humid here - New Mexico - today (33% vs the normal 7 or 8) but I still think the combo would work. Follow the directions for butter/milk/etc..

Bread Machine Challah (jewish Egg Bread)

At any rate, I’ve bookmarked this goodie. Thanks again. As soon as they cool, slices are going into a cast iron pan with cheese. Yummy yum!

I have a question on the proof time. I made this once and it was amazing. Can I let it proof over night? Also, I am wanting taller loafs, would letting it proof longer produce a taller loaf or am I better off making two loaves instead of three? This is my first bread and it was delicious and so much easier than I thought it would be.

So glad this turned out well for you! Overnight proofing would give you way over-risen dough with this recipe; I wouldn't try it. However, you COULD let the loaves rise overnight in the fridge. Just let the loaves come to room temp before baking.

Keto Egg Loaf

You are so detailed! I will try this recipe. Just got chickens and I've been trying to figure out what to do with the eggs! This will do for now.! Thanks so much.

I made this today. I was out of bread and didn't want to go to the store. I halved the heck of and cooked it in a 9 x 4 bread pan. Absolutely will make this again. I have made bread for more years thank i care to say but this will be my new go to recipe

Homemade