Soda Bread Recipe Using White Flour

You can have this delicious Traditional Irish White Soda Bread on the table in no time. Easy to make, with no kneading or proving

Or with some good Irish cheese. I love all of those, but, to truly enjoy this bread I love it simply with some good Irish butter.

Traditional

I don't make a lot of bread. I just don't have the patience for all that kneading and proving. Soda bread is the only bread I make myself, maybe because it's in my DNA. For me, no bread can come close to a freshly baked soda. Be it plain white soda or a more traditional brown soda.

Vegan Soda Bread

We call it soda bread due to the bicarbonate of soda used in the bread. The bicarbonate of soda or bread soda is used to help the dough rise. Years ago yeast would not have been readily available. Bread soda was a great substitute for making bread.

I can't find buttermilk what can I use instead?If you can't find buttermilk then you could use sour milk. Traditionally, soured milk was used to make soda bread. If you don't have sour milk you can make your own. Add a tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar to plain full-fat milk, stir then leave it for about 30 minutes. The milk won't be as thick and creamy as the buttermilk but it will do the same job. You could also use natural plain yoghurt in the place of buttermilk too. If you use this method the amount you need will vary, add a smaller amount to the flour first, then add more as you need. Any leftovers can be used to make pancakes.

Can I use baking powder instead of bicarbonate of soda? No, bicarb of soda is a leavening agent, it makes the dough rise, it reacts with an acid (the buttermilk) and then produces small gaseous carbon dioxide bubbles, which gives the bread its rise. Baking powder already has acids present and reacts differently. This will also affect the flavour of your soda bread and possibly the texture of the crumb and the rise.

Amazingly Easy Irish Soda Bread Recipe

How Long Does White Soda Bread Last?This bread is best eaten on the day you bake it. If you do have any leftover, it's best to toast it, which is really good too! You can keep it wrapped, for about 3 days.

Can I Freeze Soda Bread?Yes, you can. Bake the bread then leave it to cool. Double wrap the bread tightly, then freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw the bread overnight. You can reheat the bread in the oven if you want it warm. Pop it in a preheated oven at 150C/300F for about 10 minutes.

Have you made this White Soda Bread Recipe?Rate it and leave me a comment below to let me know what you think!

Traditional Irish Soda Bread

With just four ingredients you can have this delicious Traditional Irish White Soda Bread on the table in no time. Easy to make, with no kneading or proving anyone can make this bread!

Calories: 233 kcal | Carbohydrates: 46.3 g | Protein: 8.2 g | Fat: 1.2 g | Saturated Fat: 0.5 g | Cholesterol: 3 mg | Sodium: 525 mg | Potassium: 168 mg | Fiber: 1.5 g | Sugar: 3.6 g | Calcium: 91 mg | Iron: 3 mg

Join my free email list to receive my 'Little Book of Curries' and 'Quick & Easy Dinners' ebooks. You'll also never miss a recipe!TRADITIONAL IRISH SODA BREAD — This Traditional Irish soda bread is made with just a few simple ingredients but bakes up into a beautiful, bakery quality loaf.

Traditional White Soda Bread Recipe

I’ve tried several recipes for Irish soda bread, and this Traditional Irish Soda Bread is by far my favorite. It bakes up into such a beautiful loaf that I can hardly believe it isn’t a yeast bread.

Even better, it’s so incredibly easy to make, especially if you’re impatient like me and don’t want to wait around forthe dough to rise.

I was totally shocked at how good this was. Made this yesterday for St. Patrick’s day and was a little nervous by the short ingredient list. No butter? But it was amazing & everyone had more than one piece! ~ Lindsey

World's Best No Yeast Bread

The trick (or at least I’m assuming it’s the trick) is baking the bread with an inverted cake pan on top. I don’t know what kind of scientific baking magic that inverted pan creates.

Traditional

I just know this recipe never fails me and I get a beautiful, bakery quality loaf of Irish soda bread every time.

Like so many delicious breads, Irish Soda Bread is theproduct of a time when fancy ingredients weren’t available or affordable, so it’s made with only the most basic ingredients.

Irish Soda Bread

I have made this recipe three times. I have made it for our card group for a St. Patrick’s Day potluck with and without raisins. It was a big hit. Love the crispy crust. ~ Olivia

For some reason, I tend to only make this breadaround St. Patrick’s Day, but it’s so simple and deliciousI reallyought to make it more often.

I made this bread this evening and it did not disappoint!! It makes a beautiful bread and tastes great!! I will be making this quite a bit! ~ Lori

Sweet Irish Soda Bread

Gorgeous bread – delicious! This is the second time I’ve made it and sent the recipe to a friend who is going to make it this weekend. ~ Tera

I just finished baking this bread. I toasted some dry rosemary and put that with the dry ingredients. Smells amazing and it turned out so pretty. Thank you for the recipe. It was super easy. ~ Jaime

Irish

I added about 1/3 cup sugar because I like it with a bit of sweetness. This came out PERFECT. Thank you!!! I will be using this every time!! ~ Amber

Brown Irish Soda Bread Story

This traditional Middle Eastern yeast bread is grilled then slathered with butter and sprinkled with garlic salt for a savory side dish that is hard to resist.

These soft, tender biscuits are loaded with cheddar cheese, chives and a hint of garlic. So easy to make, they're a perfect addition to almost any meal.

This easy yeast bread is sweetened with honey and loaded with oats. Which makes this no-knead honey oat bread perfect for toast, sandwiches and snacking.Make delicious, crusty white bread in under 40 minutes – with no kneading, or proving! My Easy White Soda Bread is super simple to make and only uses 4 ingredients! Wonderful eaten just as it is or as an accompaniment to soups and stews.

Ingredient Traditional Irish Soda Bread

I am hugely passionate about soda bread – not only does it taste amazing, but it’s also unbelievably quick and easy to make: no kneading, no proving and only 4 simple ingredients!

Regular bread is not hard to make, but it is time consuming… and as I’ve shared before, I’m really not a fan of kneading, or waiting around for bread to prove – I am an impatient soul.

Soda bread, on the other hand, can be done and dusted in under 40 minutes – now that’s my kind of bread!

Irish

White Irish Soda Bread

And I love how simple it is to make – just throw a few basic ingredients into a bowl, mix until you have a ball of dough, place on a baking tray, cut a cross and pop it in the oven.

Most soda bread recipes I’ve come across are for wholemeal soda bread, or contain a mix of wholemeal and white flours. And my previous recipes for soda bread have all been wholemeal.

But there is absolutely no reason why you can’t make soda bread white! When I realised recently that I did not have a white soda bread recipe on my website, I knew I needed to create one!

Gluten Free Soda Bread Recipe (no Yeast!)

I usually use plain flour when making soda bread, but for this recipe, I decided to experiment with using strong white bread flour. I made one loaf using strong white bread flour and one using plain (all purpose) white flour – the result really surprised me!

The loaf made with plain white flour was FAR BETTER than the one made using strong white bread flour. I would never have guessed that to be the case!

So, if you make white soda bread, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND you use plain (all purpose) white flour rather than strong white bread flour.

What Is Irish Soda Bread?

The first was you need to use more salt when making white soda bread (compared to making wholemeal soda bread) – this is because white flour has less flavour than wholemeal flour, so more salt is needed to stop white soda bread tasting bland.

-

Obviously, you can experiment with this to find the right level for your tastes, but I found I needed 1.5 tsp salt per loaf (350g flour) – this works out at less than ¼ of a teaspoon per (generous) portion, so it’s still not excessive (just don’t eat the whole loaf, OK?)

The other was that I needed to lower the oven temperature. I normally cook wholemeal soda bread at 220C (200C fan / gas mark 7 / 425F), but I found at this temperature the white soda bread got burnt on the outside before it was fully

White Spelt Soda Bread