Tapioca Flour Bread Recipe

This recipe for homemade Against the Grain-style gluten free rolls is just like the original. Stop paying too much for packaged gluten free bread!

A few years ago, in a pinch, I bought a package of Against the Grain original rolls. They were so expensive (nearly $9 for 4 rolls!) that it was really really (really) hard to pull the trigger. But my family loved them. So I did the only thing that seemed reasonable to me. I made my own copycat version asap.

Cooking

This is not a bread recipe, though, like any other. It's made of just tapioca starch/flour, eggs, milk, cheese, and oil. These rolls are chewy and cheesy, and almost remind me of popovers in texture but with a delightfully crisp and almost flaky crust.

Tapioca Flour Recipes & Menu Ideas

I originally wrote about these rolls in 2013. Along the way, I've made these gluten free rolls so many timesthat I've modified the method a bit, both to simplify the process and to handle the issues that sometimes come up.

I never post a recipe unless I make it successfully and can repeat my own success multiple times. But over the years, I have seen some issues pop up that I didn't anticipate years ago.

You do need a food processor to make this recipe.I've tried making it in a blender, and I'm afraid I've failed. If you only have one of the mini prep food processors, don't despair! Just split the entire recipe in half and make it in two parts.

Paleo Sandwich Bread (grain Free)

If you have issues with your food processor stalling during preparation, it is likely that the tapioca flour has clumped at the bottom of the bowl and the blade has become stuck. Opening the top and stirring the dough to loosen it will get it working again. Do make sure you add the tapioca flour after you add the cheese, eggs and oil.

Right after preparation, the dough will be very sticky. Wrapping the dough in plastic wrap and chilling it will allow you to divide it into portions.

When I first made this recipe, I cooked part of it on the stovetop before processing everything together. Over time, I realized that step wasn't necessary—and that the recipe worked better when the ingredients began at room temperature, or even chilled.Processing the dough in the food processor with add heat, which is part of why we will have to chill it before shaping no matter what the temperature of your ingredients at the start.

Cassava Bread (grain Free, Nut Free)

The amount of milk that it makes sense to add to this dough is perhaps the most important variable in the recipe. Depending upon how much moisture is in your ingredients, the quality of your tapioca starch, and even your food processor, you may need more or less milk.

You will always need less than 1 full cup (8 fluid ounces) of milk. You may even find that you prefer to make the recipe with a bit less than 5 fluid ounces (which is itself less than 2/3 cup).

If you want the dough to be very easy to handle, use a bit less than 5 fluid ounces of milk the first time you make the recipe. The dough will be much easier to handle, especially after chilling, but watch the baking time like a hawk. They will likely be fully baked in less than 20 minutes.

Ingredient Gluten Free Cheese Bread

If the raw dough in the food processor falls too easily off a spatula, you've probably added too much liquid. Try adding more tapioca starch/flour and processing until smooth.

If you've gone too far in adding liquid, even after adding a bit more flour, rather than truly shaping the dough you may have to scoop it onto the baking sheets with an ice cream scoop and baking it for a bit longer.

You're not kneading the dough in the traditional sense, anyway. You're just coaxing it into a roll shape. The oven does the rest.

Easy Tapioca Flour Recipes

Like other simple recipes, each ingredient is crucial to the success of this recipe. It does not take substitutions well. Here are the details:

Easy

Dairy-free: If you can't have regular cheese, I'm afraid you simply cannot make this recipe. I have tried making it with homemade Miyoko's Kitchen recipe cheese, and it failed. I have tried making with all different brands of dairy-free packaged shredded cheese, and it failed.

I had developed a recipe for a copycat of the dairy-free Against The Grain rollsand posted it on the blog years ago. The post disappeared somehow in a redesign years ago, and I have no other record of it. It's gone for good. ?

Vegan Gluten Free Yeast Free Bread Recipe

The cheese: This recipe works best with pre-grated low moisture mozzarella cheese. It contains anti-caking ingredients, often starch, that prevent thedough from becoming too sticky and not holding its shape during shaping and baking. I know it's less than ideal to use an ingredient with additives, but there are certainly more additives in the packaged rolls. I do not stress such things, but it's a personal decision.

Egg-free: There are two eggs in this recipe, and they do a lot of heavy-lifting. In fact, they're responsible for the entire rise. I don't think you could make this recipe with an egg replacement at all.

Tapioca flour/starch: Tapioca starch has no equal in the world of gluten free flours, so there is nothing else that will replace it.The quality of the one you use matters a whole lot. I can only recommend purchasing it from nuts.com, Authentic Foods, and Vitacost.com. Bob's Red Mill tapioca starch/flour is of

Cassava Flour Bread

The tapioca starch/flour sold in bulk in Asian food stores is also very inconsistent and frequently contaminated with other ingredients, sometimes gluten-containing ones. I also recommend against using that.

5 ounces low moisture mozzarella cheese, shredded (packaged, shredded cheese works best) 2 eggs (100 g, weighed out of shell) 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt 3 tablespoons (42 g) neutral oil (grapeseed, canola, vegetable all work fine) 2 1/2 cups (300 g) tapioca starch/flour, plus more for sprinkling 5 to 7 fluid ounces low fat or whole milkGrain-free paleo sandwich bread made with almond flour and tapioca flour. This easy to make sliced bread recipe is perfect for those who eat gluten-free or grain-free diet! It has a consistency similar to ciabatta bread and is marvelous for toast or sandwiches. It’s the best thing since sliced bread!

Cassava

Now that school is back in session, I’ve been inspired to live vicariously through students of all ages and strengthen my relationship with sandwiches.

Homemade Gluten Free Bread Recipe

Just thinking about all the kidlets carrying their lunch pails with them, donning their thinking caps to become little knowledge receptacles makes me feel nostalgic and warms my heart. There’s no denying the relationship between nutrition and the ability to learn and retain information, no matter your age. The way I see it, a big filling sandwich for lunch works wonders for keeping our minds fueled throughout the afternoon hours.

SANDWICH BREAD…the maker or breaker of efficient sandwiching bliss. When selecting my sandwich bread, I always select wisely, lest I end up with a broken/torn/squished/unfulfilling lunch. I’m going for three things: 1.) Texture 2.) Durability 3.) Nutrient profile.

After whipping up Almond Flour Pizza Crust a few weeks ago, it dawned on me that the spongy, yet hearty texture and crispy exterior would make the most excellent sandwich bread. Using the same almond flour//tapioca flour//yeast concept, I baked this loaf of grain-free sandwich bread and have been honeymooning with all sorts of sandwiches ever since. I love that the bread is packetwith protein from the almond flour, and slow-burning carbohydratesfrom the tapioca flour. A recipe for digestive happiness!

Gluten Free Sandwich Bread Or Hamburger Bun Recipe

Add the yeast, coconut sugar, and warm water to a large mixing bowl and stir well. Allow mixture to sit 5 minutes to activate the yeast. Whisk the egg, olive oil, and cider vinegar into the yeast mixture.

Just like you would a normal loaf of bread, you activate the yeast in water with (be sure your water is between 95 and 115 degrees F)…

In a separate bowl, stir the almond flour and tapioca flour together until well-combined. Mix in the flours into the water/yeast mixture until combined.

Cassava

Paleo Cassava Bread Recipe

Cover the bowl and put it in a warm spot in your house, and let it rise for 60 to 90 minutes, until the dough has doubled in volume and appears almost bubbly.

Let’s talk bread texture. This bread comes has a ciabatta-like texture rather than soft and fluffy. I like my sandwich breads rustic so that they hold all of my stuffers nice and neatly without getting sogged out.

This is the perfect bread for panini making or grilled cheese sandwiches – it crisps up easily and does a magnificent job of sandwiching your sandwich innerds. WIN!

Soft Homemade Gluten Free Bread

Because I don’t like the ends of the loaves to go to waste, I like to spread almond butter on them, topped with banana and honey…maybe even a spriz of cinnamon if I’m really going to let my hair down.

I’ll be showing you a fresh and funky sandwich recipe tomorrow that will make you go HEY-YO! In the meantime, get ready for healthy sandwich fest by baking up a loaf of this yeasty grain-free bread!

The

Cuñapes/pão De Queijo (south American Cheesy Bread) Recipe