Whole Wheat Turkish Bread Recipe

Turkey has the highest per capita bread consumption in the world, and pide is one of the country’s traditional stone-baked flatbreads. Usually the center of a pide is topped with deliciously seasoned minced meat, cheese, or vegetables, and it looks similar to pizza or khachapuri. However, during the month of Ramadan (

The dough is coated in a yogurt-egg mixture or grape molasses, beautifully quilted with wet fingertips, and sprinkled with nigella seeds and sesame seeds. The pide are then baked on a stone in a hot oven, and the result is a pillowy soft, flavorful bread that you can tear apart along the grooves, dip in stew or olive oil, eat with cheese and olives, or even slice on the horizontal to make a sandwich. The bread is a little like focaccia but not as oily, and the toasted seeds on top add a distinctive flavor and texture.

Turkish

Ramadan pide breads are so delicious that I’m eager to share the recipe with the munity even though it’s not the customary time of year to bake them. The bread is available year round in some Turkish bakeries, and I began learning how to make a sourdough version of it from a baker on Instagram after Ramadan ended. The formula and process outlined below were inspired by @dishesfromafar who also pointed me toward the videos of @yusufozgurintepe.

Savory Sourdough Flatbread

@dishesfromafar used 15% whole grain rye flour in her formula, which I found utterly delicious — earthy and tangy. In subsequent test bakes, I substituted the rye flour with whole grain einkorn flour, which was also delicious and a touch sweeter, and warthog hard red winter wheat flour, which had a wonderful wheat aroma and flavor.

You can’t go wrong trying the recipe with any wheat variety or even only refined flour. If you use einkorn or warthog flours, you may want to lower the water in the dough by 20 grams. I didn’t adjust the water myself, and those two doughs were more soupy feeling than the rye, but they turned out great.

I made some other changes to the recipe that I learned: I didn’t have grape molasses so I used pomegranate molasses (diluted) to coat the dough. I went with an all-in approach to mixing, rather than holding back the salt for two hours, and I used less sourdough starter for a slower ferment. Perhaps in the winter when my kitchen is colder, I’ll double the starter and reduce that flour and water from the recipe totals. I also plan to try this gorgeous Kiymali Pide recipe (minced meat) soon, using the sourdough dough below.

Easy Pita Bread

Turkish pide for Ramadan is a delicious airy bread with crackling toasted seeds covering the beautiful quilt-like crust. This recipe is particularly flavorful due to the addition of whole grain flour and because of the extended sourdough fermentation. The process itself is also quite enjoyable with a free-form final proof and hands-on creation of the beautiful crust pattern.

Every couple weeks or so, we send out a little roundup of new recipes, techniques, and tutorials that we’ve recently posted on the site. Occasionally we announce exclusive giveaways to newsletter subscribers as well. We won’t spam you with ads or share or sell your email address. Every email we send has a 1-click unsubscribe link if you decide it’s not for you.This Turkish bread recipe is an easy yeasted pita bread perfect for dipping into hummus, garlic olive oil, herbed dipping oil, or splitting open for sandwiches.

Pita breads are an easy yeasted bread to start with, if you're new to baking yeasted breads. They're a flat bread, so there's not forming into baguettes or other shapes, and the need only 1 rising. I've made other pita breads, but this one is a little different. It's a fluffy Turkish bread, that's thicker than other pitas I've made.

Turkish Pogaca Feta And Dill Bread Rolls Recipe

Turkish bread is a flatbread similar to the more familiar pita bread. But there are some difference (see the next section). Turkish bread is an essential part of the Turkish meal and is eaten daily. When served in this form of bread rounds, it's often referred to as pide.

Sourdough

Like a pita bread, the dough separates horizontally during baking, allowing the top to puff up. Once cooled, this separation makes these bread rounds perfect pockets for filling, like these Moroccan Chickpea Pockets.

Like with any bread, variations proliferate. For example, this Turkish version has a little more flour, olive oil and salt than ones I've made in the past.

Whole Wheat Turkish Ramadan Flat Bread (pide)

Turkish bread is always finished with a tangy egg wash, and then topped with nigella and sesame seeds for a little crunch. I kept the egg wash simple, but a true Turkish bread combines flour, boiling water, and Greek yogurt with the egg.

Turkish bread is more fluffy, and bakes up a little thicker, making them perfect for slicing up and dipping into hummus or a dipping oil.

Whole

I made a couple of changes from the original recipe. I split the white flour with organic ground spelt, and increased the honey just a notch. And I love the result.

Sourdough Turkish Pide (ramazan Pidesi)

The secret to faster and easier meals often lies in the ingredients. For example, store-bought items and ingredients you make ahead and store in the refrigerator (or freezer) can turn a 60-minute recipe into a 30-minutes meal or less.I'm here with a new sourdough recipe. Since I don't like working with whole wheat flour, I haven't shared one in all this time. Sourdough made with white flour has a very special consistency. You can't get enough of the kneading, you don't want to leave it once you start. Whole wheat flour is not like that. It has a more granular structure, so it doesn't come together as well as white flour. This makes the kneading process no more than the pleasure of sautéing onions to make any dish.

On the other hand, it is healthier than white flour in terms of the amount of fiber it contains. But unfortunately it is not true that it makes you lose weight or is 100% healthy as it is known. Again, contrary to popular belief, amount of calories is not lower than white bread, and it doesn't end there, it is even higher in calories than white bread. The amount of protein is around twice the amount of white bread, but the amount of protein in both is very low, so there is no significant protein content in total. Unlike white bread, it contains folic acid and various vitamins and minerals. But these are also very very low in quantity. If you have a deficiency of folic acid or any vitamins or minerals, you should eat a whole bakeshop everyday. Consuming whole wheat flour bread is like eating cakes flavored with dates instead of refined sugar. You get sugar and calories but it is relatively healthier.

The thing you should never do is to eat a loaf of bread every day saying that the whole wheat flour bread is very healthy. If you want to eat healthy, you should consume the least amount of bread with the least additives regardless of the type.This easy pita bread recipe is made with whole wheat flour and sweetened with just a bit of honey. It’s great with a side of hummus, or use it for flat bread sandwiches, pita pockets for a light meal.

Turkish

Turkish Pide Bread Boat Pizza Wholewheat And Healthy

OMG TOO MUCH turkey, and mashed potato, and gravy, and stuffing… My fridge is still filled to the brim, but I’m all turkey-ed out! I need fish, and green smoothie, and some whole grain goodness. I’m so sad my *&%@#! Ninja blender is broken, so I haven’t had my usualbreakfast smoothie for weeks 🙁 . I’m still waiting for the replacement parts in the mail, hope it comes quickly because I need a full month of detox before I start cranking out Christmas cookies and getting ready for Christmas and New Year feast! ‘Tis the season!

Ryan is still using the big pitcher blender for his breakfast smoothie. But I can’t stand it, it doesn’t work as well as the individual blender, it’s too leafy and chunky and … nasty tasting, bleh! The guys over at Ninja are real sports, they have replaced our individual cups already, but they still don’t work, so now they are going to send us a whole new unit. Hopefully it will work this time and last longer than 2 months…

Alrighty, there’s my random rambling for the day, now on to these whole wheat pita bread for some whole grain goodness! I was never really into Mediterranean food that much, but I discovered a really great little restaurant near our house and now I couldn’t get enough. They have hummus with meat! It is sooo good! And their pita bread is so soft and yummy. So naturally, I tell myself that I need to make pita bread!

Sourdough Sandwich Bread

While reading up about pita bread, I came across a lot of articles saying that sometimes the bread doesn’t poof up when baked, or that you may not get the balloon effect on the first try. I didn’t encounter any problem at

Easy