Bread Recipe With Sourdough Discard

I developed this pan bread recipe for my teenage kids so that they can bake tasty and flavorful bread easily, quickly, and fail-proof when I don't have the time for baking.  We ended up liking it so much that this has become our new favorite bread. It's very flavorful, soft, and airy inside, with big holes, and a nice golden brown, thin, and crispy crust.

There are so many fantastic bread recipes out there but many require skill, experience, and time commitment. On the other hand, this pan bread recipe is simple, straightforward, and quick to make. You really don't need much baking experience to be successful with it. It's a cross between my No-Knead Bread and No-Knead Sourdough Bread; it's as quick to make as the no-knead bread but with the robust flavor of the sourdough bread.

The

Baking this bread in a 9 x 5 bread pan eliminated the stress associated with dough shaping, scoring, and transferring to the oven for novice bakers. There is also no need to own or deal with baking stones, cloches, or hot cast iron cookers. This recipe is as easy as it gets for the big flavor your get from this bread and let me tell you, this bread is extraordinarily good.

Easy Sourdough Discard Orange Quick Bread On This Baking Life

I think its taste rivals my favorite French baguettes. The crumb is very similar - open, airy, and with big beautiful holes.

While the shape of the bread is different, the crust has similar wonderful qualities - thin and crispy. It has outstanding texture when straight from the oven. Since we bake this bread in well-buttered pans, the crust absorbs all that butter, making it exceptionally crisp and flavorful.

I can eat this bread like I do baguettes - without anything, or with just a little bit of butter or cream cheese, or with some homemade strawberry jam... It's just as addictive as my baguettes. Even without adding honey to the dough as I do with baguettes. I may try that though... or add a little bit of liquid malt extract for a touch of sweetness and nuttiness.

Sourdough Discard Flatbread

When this bread cools down the crust softens up while the crumb remains soft and moist. It has very good keeping qualities and stays soft, fresh, and very tasty for a few days. It makes excellent sandwich bread. Toast it or grill it, tear it into pieces, and make Panzanella (bread salad) with it. Now is the best time to make it. Delicious!

Another great thing about this recipe is that it uses sourdough starter discard. Rather than throwing my sourdough starter away, I use it to make delicious baked goodies like cinnamon rolls, English muffins, biscuits, and this bread. It's used in this recipe for flavor, not for leavening but the bread tastes like very mild sourdough bread anyway.

The process is very simple and takes about 5-6 hours from start to finish. This is another strong point of this bread. We often start making this bead around noon and have it ready for dinner.

Quick And Easy Soft Sourdough Discard Dinner Rolls

Combine the ingredients together by hand in a large bowl. When adding yeast and salt, put them on the opposite sides to minimize their contact. Make sure to use warm water to expedite fermentation. We use 85F (29C) water.

Country

Let the flour hydrate for 3o minutes. There is no need to use a stand mixer to make bread. Mixing bread dough in a stand mixer ruins gluten structure, creating a crumbly structure with tiny holes. It will look like grocery store bread.

Next, perform three 'stretch and folds' (I go into detail on how to do that in my Artisan Sourdough Bread post) to give the dough strength and wait until it doubles in size. For this bread, space stretch and folds about 20 minutes apart.

Sourdough Discard Banana Bread

After that, divide the dough into two equal pieces, shape it into logs, and place the logs seam side down into well-buttered bread pans. Wait until the dough about doubles in size again.

Next, place in the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes with a pan filled with hot water and 25-30 minutes without a water pan. The baking temperature for this bread is 425F (220C) for the first 20 minutes and 400F (205C) for the rest of the baking. To make sure that enough steam is produced during the first 20 minutes of baking, place the water pan on the bottom of the oven, closest to the heat source.

Easy

It's often recommended to let bread rest for an hour before slicing. Not with this one. While this bread is very good cooled down, it's even better hot out of the oven. Don't worry, it won't be gummy like some bread tends to be when hot.

Simple Sourdough Starter Discard Coffee Cake Recipe

I like slicing this bread right after it comes out of the oven,   just like my French baguettes, smearing some butter on it, and spending the next 15-20 minutes in heaven. It will be hot so handle it with oven mitts and use a good sharp bread knife to make nice cuts.

This bread has very good keeping qualities. Let it cool completely, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap. It will stay fresh and soft for a few days.

Calories: 128 kcal | Carbohydrates: 26 g | Protein: 4 g | Fat: 1 g | Saturated Fat: 0.1 g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.2 g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.1 g | Sodium: 260 mg | Potassium: 35 mg | Fiber: 1 g | Sugar: 0.1 g | Vitamin A: 1 IU | Vitamin C: 0 mg | Calcium: 6 mg | Iron: 0.3 mgThis is not a post for people who have never made sourdough bread before. If that’s you, and you’re interested in learning to make sourdough bread, I recommend Tartine Bread, which is the book that really got me started on my sourdough adventure. Indeed, the method and instructions described below are based on the Basic Country Loaf recipe in Tartine Bread. (I created my starter using the instructions on the King Arthur Flour website, which is also a great resource if you’re new to sourdough baking.) If you already have some familiarity with sourdough baking, though, you at some point have probably wondered what to do with your excess starter–the starter that is “discarded” with each feeding. If you work outside your home, perhaps you’ve also wondered if there is a way to bake sourdough bread during the work week. Those two dilemmas–the inevitable accumulation of discard starter and the quest to find a way to bake sourdough during the week–inspired me to experiment a bit. Ultimately, I discovered that if I dramatically reduced the inoculation percentage (i.e., the amount of starter), and dramatically extended the bulk fermentation time, I could make delicious bread using only discard starter for leavening. And, because fermentation is slower with this method, I could allow the dough to rise while I was at work, and thus make bread during the week.

The

Homemade Sourdough Bread, Step By Step

The method below can basically be reduced to three changes to the Tartine recipe: (1) replace the leaven with a much smaller percentage of discard starter, (2) use fridge-cold water in the dough, and (3) after 2-3 stretch-and-folds, allow the dough to finish its bulk rise undisturbed for 10 hours or more.

There are a couple of reasons for reducing the inoculation percentage: First, discard sourdough starter is seriously sour. To keep the bread from being overly sour, you need to use a smaller amount of discard than you would of levain–I never go above 10% inoculation when I’m making a discard loaf. Second, a smaller inoculation percentage means that it will take longer for the dough to rise. Often, people have the opposite goal–they want the dough to rise faster. Here, though, the slower rise is your friend, because it means that you can leave the dough at home, undisturbed all day while you are at work.

The reason for this change is simple — it’s just another way to slow down the bulk fermentation. I use bottled spring water straight from the fridge. (I use bottled water because the tap water where I live is heavily chlorinated. You may be able to use tap water where you live.)

Sourdough French Bread (with Starter Or Discard)

This change naturally follows from the previous two adjustments. I want to slow the dough’s rise because I can’t come home in the middle of the day to shape my loaves if the bulk fermentation is done in 4-6 hours. For me, 10-12 hours (from the time I transfer the dough to a clear container for the bulk rise) is what I’m going for.

Sourdough

Admittedly, I have not yet reduced my method to a science. Sometimes the dough rises less than I expect, sometimes more. I suspect this results from changes in room temperature, and/or from my discard starter having been “refreshed” more or less recently. I’ve also found that the greater the quantity of dough I am making, the longer the bulk fermentation takes. This is likely because it takes the larger amount of dough longer to warm to room temperature.

That all said, I’ve also discovered that there’s a lot of flexibility in how long

Sourdough Banana Bread