Pain D'Epi Bread Recipe

Pain d'Epi, or wheat stalk bread, is a classic French bread shape. You shape the dough into a baguette, let it rise, and then snip it with scissors to create the wheat stalk look.

Making epi bread is one of those methods that is so easy, but looks so professional. As a friend recently said, you even look at them afterward and think did I do that?

Pain

While I can make a pretty delicious baguette, I still have trouble achieving the beautiful slashes that open up symmetrically to create a beautiful pattern. Enter a pair of scissors! It's so easy!

Pizza Bacon Pain D'epi & Sausage Pain D'epi Recipe By Cookpad.japan

You can create these long stalks, with the sections going left and right, or you can angle all of the cuts to one side, and form the loaf into a wreath.

This bread takes two days to make. That doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I find baking bread to be so therapeutic. When life hands me lemons, I bake bread. Homemade bread, made with the long, slow rising methods of traditional artisan bakers, is worth the wait.

This month, the Fantastical Food Fight is celebrating Julia Child's birthday. We are all making one of her recipes, or a dish inspired by one of her recipes. I can't wait to see what everyone made.

-

Good Food, Shared: Lorraine Pascale's Pain D'epi Bread Recipe

Last year on this day I posted these Petit Pains (French bread rolls) in honor of the 20 (that's twenty!) page bread recipe in the book, Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume 2.

My proudest early blogging moment inspired by Julia was this boeuf bourguignon from 2013. It was definitely a marathon, but totally delicious. P.S. I later made this Instant Pot Beef Burgundy with much success, but, I must say, the marathon version is better.

-

This recipe was adapted from the book Baking with Julia: Savor the Joys of Baking with America's Best Bakers - - In Classic Julia Style, written by Dorie Greenspan, and published in 1996. The book chronicles the recipes from the PBS series of the same name. In this episode, Steve Sullivan of Acme Bread shows Julia how he makes and shapes bread with mixed starters. I definitely recommend binge watching old episodes of this show. Happy birthday dear Julia.

Pain D'epi Archives

This bread is crusty, deeply flavored, and full of uneven holes. I'm not going to lie, this dough takes some practice, but it's really worth it. Each time you try it, you will be so happy with the flavor.

Pain

To start this bread, you will need a small piece of dough from previously baked bread. This time, I used a small bit of my sourdough starter, and it worked out perfectly. If you don't have a starter, just refrigerate a portion of dough from any lean bread you've made recently for up to two weeks.

This bread is crusty, deeply flavored, and full of uneven holes. I'm not going to lie, this dough takes some practice, but it's really worth it. Each time you try it, you will be so happy with the flavor.

Pain

To start this bread, you will need a small piece of dough from previously baked bread. This time, I used a small bit of my sourdough starter, and it worked out perfectly. If you don't have a starter, just refrigerate a portion of dough from any lean bread you've made recently for up to two weeks.