Greek Whole Wheat Bread Recipe

“What? Another Greek pita bread recipe? One of the zillions floating around the web? No thanks!” Before you walk away, THINK for a second. This is a food blog specializing in traditional Greek food. In Greece, we take pita bread very seriously, and, believe me, I am not going to share another boring, bland pita bread recipe but the best traditional Greek whole-wheat pita bread you have ever made. Simple ingredients, perfect texture, supreme flavor, and a healthier version.

From this day on, you will have the right to call yourself a Greek pita bread expert. It’s such an easy and almost fool-proof recipe that everyone -and I mean EVERYONE – can make. Invite your kids to join you because it is fun too especially the rolling part and all this messy play with flour (don’t freak out, you will clean later).

Whole

I have to warn you though. You won’t enjoy store-bought pitas anymore and maybe you will be somehow disappointed with pita bread from your favorite Greek restaurant. Because you are so going to LOVE all about your homemade Greek pita bread.

Whole Wheat Beetroot Bread

…first thing first. I am talking about the traditional Greek pita bread meaning THE ONE WITHOUT the big pocket but the one with charred little cute air pockets instead.

For sure, souvlaki is the most popular way to use up the traditional Greek pita bread but this is an entirely new post, guys.

In Greek, we love pita bread and we use it as a wrap or torn into pieces for dipping either in hummus or whipped feta. or tzatziki or eggplant dip (melitzanosalata) or served with ladera (vegetables simmered in a luscious tomato-olive oil sauce) like briami (roasted vegetables), cabbage stew (lahanorizo), stuffed vegetables (gemista) or …. ok somebody stop me, please. In a few words, pita bread is served EVERYWHERE and paired with EVERYTHING. I keep my mouth shut and talk no more.

Greek Cake: Vasilopita Recipe

The Mediterranean way of eating features grains consumed in whole meaning in minimally-processed form. You know, the way our ancestors used to enjoy their bread made from scratch with 100% natural ingredients. Making this simple swap from refined to whole-grain foods can have huge benefits for your health! Consequently, this whole wheat pita is a highly nutritious bread, an excellent source of protein, and fiber while containing minimal fat.

However, in order to get a perfect chewy texture, we are going to use hard flour (also called bread flour and strong flour) as well. Higher amounts of protein from this flour will produce gluten that will give the dough elasticity and the characteristic soft and chewy texture. That’s why this recipe calls for half whole heat and half hard/bread/strong flour.

Durum or semolina flour for rolling the dough is perfect for one very important reason. This flour’s texture is heavier and coarser than most milled flours. It won’t absorb the moisture of the dough for sure and won’t make the dough hard enough to roll. That’s how our pitas remain soft and chewy as the traditional Greek pita bread should be. I highly recommend this step, especially for whole-wheat pita bread. It makes all the difference.

Greek Ceremonial Bread Recipe (artos)

We simply need a smooth but hard dough. Follow the instructions and add little water ONLY if the dough is too sticky. Don’t over-knead the dough. If it is smooth enough, let it double its size and gluten will do the rest for you.

Follow my instructions and don’t skip any ingredient. For example, if you don’t add vinegar, you won’t get the perfect elasticity I have already promised. Then, don’t put the blame on the poor blogger, please.

If you don’t want to use the dough right away, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and keep it overnight in the fridge. The following day, the dough is ready for rolling.

-

A Perfect & Easy Whole Wheat Bread Recipe

It’s important to roll your pita bread dough out thin because a thick dough will result in dense and heavy pita bread. Unless you like thick pitas and you want them to look puffy. Totally fine by me. It’s your game.

You got two choices here. Either you simply roll out your pitas and throw them into the skillet or you shape them using a round cutter, a plate, etc. I usually make 2 different sizes that cover all my needs: mini bread pitas about 6 inches (15cm) and large 8 inches (20cm).

It has to be super extra hot because that’s how you will watch little pockets of air puffing instantly as soon as the dough touches the skillet. Plus, you will get the toasted spots that I adore and that’s an indication of a well-cooked pita bread. At least for my cooking standards. I have used both an iron cast skillet and a nonstick one and I got to tell you the iron cast skillet gives tastier and crunchier toasted bottoms. However, whatever skillet you use, it has to be really really (have I said really?) hot.

Ancient Greek Pelanos Bread

As I have already posted, I make 2 loaves of whole wheat homemade bread once per week, I freeze one loaf and that’s how the bread served in my home is always fresh, delicious, and healthy.

I do the same for my pita bread. Once or twice per month, along with my bread, I prepare my pitas. I keep some fresh pitas in the fridge and I freeze the rest of them. Simply toss in freezer bags the quantity you usually serve. For example, I freeze and serve 2 large pitas or 4 mini pitas which is the portion I serve for one day. Leave the freezer bag as it is on the countertop until thawed and in a few minutes you are going to have delicious, homemade pita bread whenever you want.

Whole

I should definitely mention here that this dough for pita bread is excellent for pies as well. In case I have plenty of vegetables and cheese in the fridge, I make variations of this mini pies recipe. It is so easy to make and delicious that it is worth every single step. I prepare my mini pies while my pita dough is proofing and I bake the mini pies while I finish my pitas on the stovetop. Does it sound complicated? Well, it may be a little bit at the beginning but it will be getting easier each time. Promise!

Recipe For Flavorful Bread With Trahana, Yogurt And Herbs

Do your thing. You deserve it. Eat your pita straight out from the skillet as I do (what? No? Come on, why not?). It is so tempting. So hard to wait until they’ve reached the table!

Serve alongside your favorite Greek dishes, with grilled meats, salads, with dips like hummus, whipped feta. Season with herbs and spices and serve the perfect substitute for bread that will amaze everyone. I have to warn you again, guys! Your clan is going to ask for more and you have to be a step ahead.

, I would be super grateful to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating or take a photo and tag me on Instagramwith # andFacebookwith @! Above all, I absolutely love your feedback. This is a huge motivation for me and it keeps ’s kitchen alive. Thank you so much!!!

Whole Wheat Bread Baked At Home, Bio Ingredients, Very Healthy With Seed, Bowl Of Cream Cheese And Traditional Greek Italian Appetizer Dried Olives On Stock Photo

Credits:The pita bread recipe is not mine. I have to thankmamangelic one of the best Greek food bloggers, nutritionists, and an excellent photographer. Thank you, mamangelic, for this wonderful recipe amongst many others. We have enjoyed countless meals with this homemade pita bread thanks to you.

Part

This luscious Mediterranean ham and cheese frittata is perfect for a delightful all-day meal. With a combination of ham, cheese, eggs, and vegetables, this one-skillet meal is not only satisfying but also an excellent option for meal prepping.What’s not to love about a bread with Feta cheese, olive oil, rosemary, and chopped olives? Oh my goodness, this Whole Wheat Greek Bread is marvelous! It has a rich, savory, delectable texture. On top of that, it’s quite wonderful used as a dipping bread with olive oil, cracked black pepper, and parsley or other dipping spices.

It’s also fantastic served with my Marinated Squash and Tomato Salad or alongside my Creamy Ham, Veggies, and Noodle Bake. In fact, I would recommend this bread to serve with any Greekish-type meal or salad. I actually toasted it and served it with hummus, as well. Boy, was that ever good.

Greek Bread (horiatiko Psomi)

I love it when a new recipe turns out fantastic. Especially when at the last moment you realize you don’t have all the ingredients and you have to improvise! This delicious bread is not normally a whole wheat bread. When I was in the middle of making the recipe I realized I only had 3/4 cup of regular bread flour. (I never use all purpose flour for making bread. It doesn’t have high enough amounts of gluten. So the bread doesn’t adhere quite as well and can become crumbly and dried out a lot more quickly).

So I looked through my freezer where I store all my flour. I had the choice of spelt, rye, or whole wheat along with a lot of gluten free flours. But since this bread was going to have