Leftover Rice Bread Recipe

Let me clarify, this is not gluten-free bread made with rice or rice flour but regular style bread made with cooked rice! We belong to a predominantly rice eating community like most of South India and even with adaptations of non-traditional dishes into our everyday meals, I cook rice for at least one meal a day. Most of the time, I manage to cook just enough rice so there’s not anything leftover.

I’ve had any number of days when I’ve had leftover rice and I can think of any number of ways to use it up the next day, disguised or converted into something else or the other. However, making bread with leftover rice is something new to me. So I was surprised to come across a recipe for baking bread with leftover rice some time back.

Apparently it is an old-fashioned bread recipe, though I couldn’t find much information on it, I’m sure its once of those recipes that happened in the good old days when some enterprising home baker decided to try baking bread with leftover rice.

Is It Ok To Eat Leftover Rice?

I found this an unusual recipe and a great way to use up leftover cooked rice, and made some changed to the original recipe.

I used 2tbsp oil instead of 3 tbsp margarine, as I don’t use margarine. I also substituted half of the flour with whole wheat flour, used bread flour instead of all-purpose flour (for a comparitively less dense bread) and reduced the yeast a bit. I also chose to add a little roasted and crushed cumin to my dough. Don’t use cumin powder as it won’t give you the flavour, and its better to leave it out altogether if you don’t have cumin on hand.

You can use any variety of leftover rice to make this bread, though using scented rice like basmati or brown rice or wild rice will give your bread a little more flavour. You wouldn’t even know there was rice in it unless you looked very carefully. This recipe is a keeper.

Gluten Free Rice Bread

I’ve seen a couple of instances where bakers have added stuff like corn kernels and cumin, and also used added other flours like rye and barley to enhance the flavour of this bread.

Let me clarify, this is not gluten-free bread made with rice or rice flour but regular style bread made with cooked rice! We belong to a predominantly rice eating community like most of South India and even with adaptations of non-traditional dishes into our everyday meals, I cook rice for at least

(Linda’s recipe says 3 -5 cups flour in all. This depends on the flour. I needed a total of 4 cups and a bit for dusting while kneading the dough. I also find using bread fglour produces a better textured bread than all-purpose flour which also makes a decent bread.)

Crispy Rice Frittata