Moist Banana Bread Recipe Made With Sour Cream

This one-bowl sour cream banana bread recipe is amazingly popular for good reason! Super moist and fluffy, it is crazy delicious and so easy to make!

As with all good quick bread recipes, one important key to this recipe is to mix just until the dry ingredients are incorporated.

Moist

In fact, I often buy several bunches of bananas just to let them ripen in destruction on my kitchen counter to prepare for this amazing recipe.

Best Ever Sour Cream Banana Bread Recipe

I’ve done a lot of reading and testing (I’m telling you, NERD, and proud of it) to figure out why some banana bread loaves have a light-colored crumb and other recipes produce the dark speckles like you see in these pictures.

Banana bread recipes that have a larger amount of baking soda and less baking powder usually have a darker, more speckled crumb. This sour cream banana bread has a full teaspoon of baking soda and no baking powder…and it clearly results in darker speckles.

If you take a quick glance through the comments, you’ll easily see that many, many, many of you have fallen in love with this banana bread over the years. This recipe has over 500 5-star reviews!

Sour Cream Banana Nut Bread

Many readers over the years have done just that. They’ve reported back with good results. The recipe will yield about 17-20 muffins (bake them at the same temp in the recipe and check them around 17-18 minutes).

Buttermilk can be used in place of the sour cream (the batter will be thinner, but that’s ok). Subbing in dairy milk or non-dairy milk for the sour cream may affect the texture and overall end result of the bread because the recipe needs the acidity of the sour cream (or buttermilk) to turn out correctly.

Variations: I often sub applesauce for part of the oil (up to half) and sometimes use melted butter in place of the oil), use 50% whole wheat flour, decrease the sugar to 3/4 cup (especially if using very ripe bananas), and very often, I double the recipe and make two loaves because it freezes great. 

Delicious Sour Cream Banana Bread

Serving: 1 slice , Calories: 245 kcal , Carbohydrates: 32 g , Protein: 3 g , Fat: 12 g , Saturated Fat: 2 g , Cholesterol: 32 mg , Sodium: 207 mg , Fiber: 1 g , Sugar: 19 g

Follow @ on Instagram and show me the recipes you are making from my blog using the hashtag #. I love seeing all the goodness you are whipping up in your kitchens!

Disclaimer: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.The moist Banana Bread recipe you’ve been searching for! I tested a ton of different recipes so you don’t have to. The result is a bread that is super moist (thank you sour cream) and perfectly fluffy. It’s full of banana flavor without being too dense. It’s my favorite banana nut bread! And it’s easy to make!

Banana

South Your Mouth: Secret Ingredient Super Moist Banana Bread

Charlotte was in the living room the other day and called me over with an accusing look on her face. “Mom, was dad watching TV last night? And eating something? Because I thought I heard something, and there are crumbs on the couch.” Um. Good sleuthing, Sherlock. This is what we do literally every night after you are in bed: eat snacks and watch TV.

I have no idea how it’s taken her 9 years to figure this out! I told her that this is the kind of behavior she can look forward to indulging in when she’s in her 30s. I didn’t mention the mortgage and the job and the lawn to mow; I didn’t want to crush all her dreams of staying-up-late-eating-cookies-bliss.

How was everyone’s Memorial Day weekend? Eric and I celebrated our 12th wedding anniversary! It was so fun, and you guys, we stayed at a place that wasn’t our house! We ate in a restaurant that wasn’t our kitchen! We had a full 30 hours away from our children! (Bless you for taking the kids, Mom.) There is nothing like coming out of quarantine to make the sun shine brighter and food taste even more amazing. Maybe we should always shut ourselves in our houses for 2 months before a vacation. We would enjoy it more!

The Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe Ever

I’m so excited that things are starting to slowly open up! We all did a great job flattening the curve, right?! It’s really cool to see our country come together like that! ‘Merica.

My sister Nikki called me a few years ago, confused that I didn’t have a banana bread recipe on the blog. It’s such a basic, how dare I not have a recipe for it anywhere?? (Good question, Nikki.) I’m finally getting around to it. Everyone needs a great recipe for this classic.

Super

Banana bread has never been my favorite, so I knew it would take me a while of testing tons of different recipes to find out what I like most about banana bread, and then perfect my own version. (Just like I did for cornbread a few months ago.) I’m happy to say I’ve found the moist banana bread that will be my go-to from now on!

Classic Banana Bread Recipe

In anticipation of all the testing, I went to the store and bought over 25 bananas. The store clerks were totally giving me the side eye, because who does that?? I needed to let them sit and ripen so I could get on with the Great Banana Bread Bake-Off of 2020!

Eric’s parents were in town several days later when my bananas were just starting to brown. From the other room one morning I heard my mother-in-law Kris say something about making banana cake, and I came barreling into the kitchen like a psycho person, telling her the precious brown bananas were claimed. Sorry Kris!! Ripe bananas don’t just grow on trees! They take days to get to the perfect level of banana bread perfection!

I ended up making at least 12 batches of bread. Here are the first 8. Props to my in-laws Kris and Chip for helping me narrow down the best features of each one so that we could find the Perfect Banana Bread.

Banana Bread Made With Sour Cream

Almost all recipes for banana bread are basically the same. I’m really not exaggerating when I say this. I looked at dozens and dozens of recipes and only saw minor adjustments to this formula, which I can literally spout off the top of my head after making different versions of this 12 times in one week. This is for one 9×5 inch loaf.

The

Most of the banana bread recipes you find are nearly identical to each other, with one key ingredient making the biggest difference: BANANA. Some recipes call for 2 bananas, some call for 6. This is the difference between about 3/4 cup mashed banana up to 2 and 1/3 cups mashed banana, which is the highest amount I saw in any one recipe.

So after lots of testing, I determined the amounts of the other ingredients I liked best (half white half brown sugar, 1/2 cup of sour cream, tons of vanilla, some oat flour in place of regular flour (more on that later), etc. Then I made 2 batches of my final recipe: the first one with 1 cup of banana (moderate), and the second with 2 cups of banana (tons).

Cream Cheese Banana Bread

This was a surprise to me. I tend to go hog-wild sometimes, especially when it comes to baked goods. See this Coffee Cake with a Ridiculous Amount of Streusel, this Apple Crisp with a Ridiculous Amount of Streusel, or this Death By Chocolate Bundt Cake. I’m not really known for moderation you guys. I am an over-the-top-baker. I was ready to post Banana Bread with a Ridiculous Amount of Bananas. But guys… it’s just not my thing.

Can you tell why from the photo above? Look at the bottom edge of the 2 cup bread. It’s so heavy that the bottom of the bread is a completely different texture from the top half of the bread. Banana bread with too much banana ends up being SUPER dense, cloyingly sweet, and the worst trait: gummy. Nobody wants to eat gummy bread you guys. And it doesn’t hold together well for slicing. Bread is meant to be fluffy and tender, even banana bread. When you take a bite of 2-cup banana bread, it tastes like your taking a bite of a really soft banana with some butter on it. I mean, ugh, right?

Okay okay maybe it’s not that bad. I think some people actually prefer it, there are a TON of recipes out there with 2 cups. But I bet you 10 dollars if you made 1 cup banana bread and 2 cup banana bread and gave people a blind taste test, the 1 cup banana bread would win. All of my friends and family who tried this recipe preferred the 1 cup banana bread. It is still SUPER moist, but also fluffy, just like a quick bread ought to be.

-

Best Banana Bread With Sour Cream

There