Sourdough Bread Recipe Vanilla And Bean

New to homemade sourdough bread or simply improving your craft? Everyday Sourdough from Emilie Raffa’s book Artisan Sourdough Made Simpleis a fabulous starting point for new sourdough bakers or simply to hone your sourdough skills. DIY a Sourdough Bread Starter to create a beautiful wild yeast sourdough loaf!

DISCLOSURE: I received a copy of Emilie’s new book and am thrilled to be able to share her fabulous book in this space (with permission). All opinions are my own.

Seeded

Prior to going to pastry school, I’d never tried making homemade sourdough bread, although I had read books about it. Intimidated by the terminology, flours, feeding schedules, shaping techniques and knowing, I never took the time or had the courage to dive in.

Gluten Free Sourdough Bread (and Starter)

During pastry school I worked with yeasted bread until I could make it in my sleep. But it was naturally leavened sourdough that continued to mystify me. Only having a few opportunities in school to work with it, I never really gained the hands on knowledge I’d anticipated. So, I continued to read about it, gleaning little nuggets that would some day make me the bread baker I wanted to be.

A friend of a friend offered some sourdoughstarter, knowing my interest. I promptlykilled it after attempting sourdough again. Then, I carried some of my mom’s starter back to Whidbey with me after a visit to Texas.

I couldn’t quite get the dough to its fluffy pillowy softness, the crumb to its tender-chewy texture, or the crust to its crusty bliss as I had tasted, seen in books, on Emilie’s blog and bakeries.

Orange Vanilla Sourdough Bread

Enter Emilie Raffa’s new book Artisan Sourdough Made Simple. When I heard she was publishing a book on her sourdough method, I knew it would be my best chance yet to finally learn how to make the perfect loaf. I’ve been following Emilie’s blog, The Clever Carrot, for a while now. You may remember Iintroduced a cauliflower bolognese recipe from her first cookbook on the blog last year (I know, right?).

Her recipes, writing and photography draw me in, making me feel as if I’m in the kitchen with her. Practical, and not fussy, her writing nudges and encourages me along in the process.

After diving into sourdough again using Emilie’s through and approachable new book and in a short period of time, I can confidently say,

Vanilla Bean Pound Cake

I’ve baked three everyday sourdough loaves, and a cheddar-jalapeño chive loaf (omgeeee!), and made gruyere-chive crackers and waffles with leftover sourdough starter. I love them all and can’t wait to try her basic no-knead focaccia, mighty multigrain, and cinnamon raisin swirl among so many others. I’m just getting started!

Emilie’s book is for the beginner or more advanced sourdough baker. So if you’re just starting sourdough, intrigued or have been baking for a while, this book is for you. Her recipes are approachable, creative, completely mouthwatering and clearly written for success. Her photography and gentle nudges will inform and inspire you.

Looking for a fabulous Multigrain Sourdough Bread recipe to challenge your bread baking prowess? Check out my Seeded Multigrain Sourdough Bread or my Maple Oat Sourdough Sandwich Bread recipe.

How To Make Sourdough French Toast (easy Recipe)

New to sourdough or simply improving your craft? Emilie's Everyday Sourdough from her book Artisan Sourdough Made Simple is a fabulous starting point for new sourdough bakers or simply to hone your sourdough skills. This recipe is vegan friendly. (Recipe reprinted with permission). 

Total time below does not include the amount of time for fermentation and proofing which takes between 8-14 hours, depending on ambient temperature. 

-

1. Thursday-Saturday: Feed your starter until bubbly and active. 2. Saturday Evening: Make the dough and let rise overnight. 3. Sunday Morning: Shape the dough, let rise again, score and bake. 

Gluten Free Sourdough

**Too Dark Bottom Crust Update: I've received several notes regarding a too dark bottom crust. I’ve read about this before, and it seems it's not an uncommon problem. I find the bottom crust gets darker for me when I use my Staub DO vs my Lodge double cast iron set up, but it's still too dark. I imagine different materials can yield different results.

PROBLEM SOLVED: Taking a que from Kelly, who made this recipe and commented below, she “started putting a tin pan like you would make lasagna in under my dutch oven. Sit the dutch oven right on the tin pan. This allows more air flow under the dutch oven and it also takes the direct heat off the bottom of the dutch oven.”

So, after testing several other methods to prevent a too dark bottom, I found Kelly's method the most effective. I place a sheet pan on the rack just under the rack I'm baking on. No more too-dark bottom! 

No Knead Dutch Oven Bread Recipe (with Seeds)

I used to put a layer of cornmeal down on or under the parchment paper before baking - although after using the sheet pan method, I no longer do this.  When all else fails, I've use a serrated knife to skim off the bottom. The Perfect Loaf has an article about this problem (it’s not uncommon – scroll about 1/2 way down). 

Nutrition is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate. If this information is important to you, please have it verified independently.

Rustic

Serving: 1 loaf | Calories: 1862 kcal | Carbohydrates: 375 g | Protein: 62 g | Fat: 8 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Sodium: 2354 mg | Potassium: 500 mg | Fiber: 12 g | Sugar: 2 g | Calcium: 86 mg | Iron: 4.5 mg

Whole Wheat Vanilla Bread

Made It? Leave a comment below! The most helpful comment may include recipe rating, feedback, any modifications and/or helping other commenters. On Instagram? Take a snap of your make and share, tagging @ #!With a crunchy exterior and chewy interior, Seeded Multigrain Sourdough Bread is texture rich with an earthy blend of grains and seeds to make a crave-worthy loaf. Readers share this is a versatile loaf and one of their favorites (see comments below)! Got leftover sourdough bread? This loaf makes fabulous Sourdough Croutons. This sourdough is vegetarian and vegan friendly.

Thrilled to be back on gluten after an eight-month hiatus, seeded multigrain sourdough bread is the first thing I made. I couldn’t believe how resilient the sourdough starter was after having been neglected for far too many months. After all, I was focusing my efforts on a gluten-free sourdough starter and bread recipe, which you can now find here: my gluten free starter and gluten free sourdough bread!

This seeded sourdough bread recipe is an adaptation on my Yeasted Multigrain Sandwich Bread, a bread I made often before learning how to make sourdough bread. Chock full of grains, including a 10 grain cereal, oats, and quinoa, I also add sunflower and flax seeds to create more texture and flavor.

Seeded Multigrain Sourdough Bread

Making sourdough bread isn’t hard, but, it’s a process that takes a little planning and practice. I used to say I think about sourdough longer than it takes me to create a loaf. And while this was the case at one time, now that I know how to make it, manipulate the rise time through retardation if needed, shape and proof the dough, and bake sourdough, the process doesn’t seem so daunting anymore. Its become closer to second nature, and I don’t think about it as much. A little more brain space is always good!

The process is pretty straightforward but it takes a bit of planning. I typically mix the night before and bake early on a weekend morning because I have a bit more flexibility then. While you sleep, your little dough baby is growing! Here’s how to make it (see recipe card below for full details):

Seeded

The aroma wafting through the house is so warm and inviting, you’ll want to rip into the bread as soon as it comes out of the oven.

Sourdough Cream Filled Doughnuts

To complete the cooking process, sourdough bread needs at least an hour to an hour and a half to rest at room temperature. The crust will continue to develop as the sourdough cools as well.

I use two vessels to bake sourdough bread. One is a 10″ cast iron skillet with deep dish skillet for a lid and the other, a 7 quart Staub Dutch oven. I recommend either or both, but I’ve noticed the Staub bakes the bottom of the bread darker than the cast iron, sometimes it’s burnt. This may have to do with the vessels’ differing materials.

UPDATE (5/20) Burnt Sourdough Bottom: After testing various methods to remedy the too dark bottom problem, as commenters have mentioned on this sourdough recipe (and on many other non V&B recipes – this is not uncommon in the sourdough world), I’ve finally found the simplest solution ever (duh!). Simply place a sheet pan on the oven rack under the rack your baking vessel is setting on. This helps protect the vessel from the most intense heat of the oven. The two images below show one of the boules I baked using this method.

How To Make Higher Protein Sourdough Bread

Prior to doing this, I used a method I learned from The Perfect Loaf who suggests using a double layer parchment or a dusting of course cornmeal alone or under the parchment. Doing this offers a bit