Banana Bread Recipe Light And Fluffy

I seem to have a never ending supply of over-ripe bananas, but somehow, I always end up with just two stragglers. I was highly motivated to find a great banana bread recipe that needed only 2 bananas and this is the one that has served me well for years.

While this 2-Banana Banana Bread is light in colour and texture, it is big on banana flavour, even with just 2 bananas. It needs only regular pantry items, too. And best of all, it will fill your house with all the wonderful baking smells! You will have a hard time waiting for this one to cool before grabbing a slice. (It has the loveliest crust, too – lightly crisp and perfect for slicing.)

Banana

This banana bread will keep well for several days, wrapped and stored on the counter or freeze extras for later. I think you’ll also love that this banana bread is fairly light in fat and sugar, too!

Banana Bread Recipe (with Video)

Bananas: Obviously, the more ripe the bananas, the bigger the banana flavour. That said, I have made this bread with bananas that are just starting to form brown spots with success. Unless you have super small bananas, you will only need 2 bananas here. If you have a little less or a little more than 1 cup of mashed bananas, no worries. Just use it all.

Butter: You can use salted or unsalted butter here. I like unsalted myself, if I have it on hand. If using salted butter, reduce the added salt in the flour mixture slightly.

White Sugar: I haven’t tested this recipe with less sugar, but if you are needing to reduce added sugar, you could probably reduce to 1/2 cup. It will, of course, affect the sweetness of the finished loaf, but also possibly reduce the banana flavour, as the sugar works to enhance the banana flavour, as well.

Moist Maple Banana Bread

Eggs: Have your eggs at room temperature before baking, for best results. Removing from the fridge 20-30 minutes ahead should do it. I used free-range eggs here, which are quite a bright yellow. Yours batter may be paler in colour.

All-purpose flour: I am a bread baker, so I always have unbleached flour on hand, so that’s what I used here. I don’t think a bleached all-purpose will change the results at all. I haven’t tested this recipe with alternate flours.

2. Beat the butter/sugar mixture for 2-3 minutes, until it is light in colour. Don’t skimp on time here, as this process is important to the finished texture of your loaf.

Sour Cream Banana Bread Recipe

4. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl well, to catch any bits of butter that haven’t incorporated into the mixture.

6. Add the flour mixture (whisked together with the baking soda, baking powder and salt) to the batter, alternating with the mashed banana. That means adding 1/3 of the flour, then 1/2 of the bananas, then the second 1/3 of flour, the remaining bananas and finally the remaining flour. Mix until well combined.

7. Grab your loaf pan, prepared with a sheet of parchment paper that covers the bottom and long sides of the pan. I find spraying the loaf pan first helps the parchment to stick to the sides and not fall into the pan when adding the batter. I don’t feel you generally need to line the ends of the pans, unless the loaf is super sticky.

Light Banana Bread

Be sure your oven is preheated and bake. Every time I bake this loaf it takes a different amount of time, anywhere from 45 minutes to 55 minutes. Start looking at the loaf at about the 40 minute mark. If the loaf is still pale, let it bake longer, before opening the oven and testing. The loaf is approaching done when the top is turning quite golden and cracked. When it starts to look like that, use a tester to test it. The loaf is done when a tester comes out clean when inserted in the centre of the loaf.

Can I use a different size loaf pan? An 8×4-inch loaf pan is recommended, for best results. While it seems it should be possible to use the larger 9×5-loaf pan and make a shorter/wider loaf, some people have had issues with the loaf not baking all the way through when using the larger pan size. I haven’t tested this, so I can’t say if it always happens or not. You may be able to manage it by covering the top loosely with aluminum foil to stop it from over-browning, while continuing to let it cook longer so it will cook through completely.

Soft

Loaf will keep well, tightly wrapped and stored at room temperature for several days. The loaf can also be frozen up to 2 months.

Janet's Rich Banana Bread Recipe

Be sure to read the “Ingredient and Cook's Notes (above the recipe card!), where I share more detailed  tips, variations and substitution suggestions for this recipe!

Serving: 1 serving , Calories: 180 kcal , Carbohydrates: 28 g , Protein: 3 g , Fat: 6 g , Saturated Fat: 4 g , Cholesterol: 49 mg , Sodium: 179 mg , Potassium: 145 mg , Fiber: 1 g , Sugar: 13 g , Vitamin A: 217 IU , Vitamin C: 1 mg , Calcium: 38 mg , Iron: 1 mg

Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!This is hands down the most AMAZING Banana Bread I've ever tasted! It's moist, fluffy and the addition of chopped walnuts give a nice crunch in each bite!

Perfect Healthy Banana Bread

I had some overripe bananas leftover from my Banana Caramel Layer Cake recipe, and I just couldn't bare letting them go to waste. So what's the best thing to do when you have overripe bananas? Make banana bread, of course!

Before we begin, I'm not saying this is the most amazing banana bread recipe of all time. You can't really say that without tasting every single one. However, out of all the banana bread I've tasted in my days, this one is my absolute FAVOURITE!

Simply

What makes this banana bread so amazing? To begin, instead of using melted butter, I creamed the butter and sugar together to give the bread its light and fluffy texture.

Simply Perfect 2 Banana Banana Bread

The butter needs to be at room temperature, not too soft and not too hard. It should be firm enough for your finger to leave an imprint when you press down on it. I recommend taking your butter out of the fridge at least 30 minutes before you begin to let it come to room temperature.

For the sugar, I used regular white sugar instead of brown sugar, but you can go ahead and use brown sugar if you prefer. I heard it does amazing things for quick breads, so the next time I make this, I'll try to use brown sugar instead. Either way, it will still taste absolutely delicious!

I remade this recipe using brown sugar and I can definitely say this banana bread is still incredible no matter what type of sugar you use!

Easy Banana Bread (no Mixer!) Recipe [video]

This recipe also uses 3 large overripe bananas (duh). To ripen them, I put the bunched bananas into a paper bag and placed them on top of the fridge so the heat could speed up the ripening. Doing this caused them to get overripe in about a week, but it may take longer for you, so check the bananas occasionally to see if they're ready.

Now if you don't have the time or patience for all of that, you can quickly ripen the bananas in the oven on a baking sheet at 300℉ for about 20 minutes, until the peels are blackened.

Light

I added buttermilk to give this bread its moist and soft texture. Then I added cinnamon because it really boosts the flavour of the bread, and it goes perfectly with banana desserts!

Healthy Banana Bread Recipe

I then tossed in some chopped walnuts because they add even more flavour, and I just LOVE the crunchy texture of the nuts blended with the softness of the bread. You can substitute the walnuts for any other type of nuts, chocolate chips or chunks, raisins, raspberries, blueberries or whatever your heart desires.

You can also omit the add-ins all together if you prefer to be one with the banana bread without anything getting in your way. Don't worry, I completely understand.

I don't think there's anything better than the smell of banana bread baking in the oven. I spent the entire time in the kitchen inhaling the banana fumes coming from the oven, then spent even more time in a banana daze while the bread was cooling. I really hope someone haas created a banana bread candle so I can order a lifetime supply.

Moist Banana Bread Recipe

And there you have it! The most amazing banana bread I'VE ever tasted (which says a lot, as I've previously mentioned, I hate bananas on their own and rebuke them in the name of Jesus. Amen.)

Pretty much the

Super