Focaccia Garden Bread Recipe

Making focaccia bread art is not only fun but delicious! These edible works of art inspired by the creations of Vineyard Baker on Instagram are fun for the whole family to make. I recommend cutting one batch of focaccia in half to make two smaller pieces of bread and decorate them individually. That's what I did with my daughter and we had a blast!

I have been wanting to try this focaccia bread art trend for a long time. I am obsessed with the magical bread art that I see on vineyard bakers page. My favorite is this sunflower named Vincent Van Dough. I love me a good bread pun! I think we could be best friends.

How

At the time of this blog post, the world was in quarantine so our days are filled with lots of fun projects to keep ourselves and the kids busy. This was the perfect fun project for my five-year-old Avalon and I to do together.

Homemade Focaccia Bread Recipe

Start off with my easy focaccia bread recipe. I mix this dough up the night before I want to bake it. The long proof in the fridge gives it flavor and a lovely chewy interior with a thin and crispy crust.

Day 1 - In the late afternoon or evening, I mix up my focaccia dough and set it aside to bulk ferment (rise) in a warm area (70ºF). This takes anywhere from 2-3 hours because of the large amount of oil in the dough and depending on how warm your room is. The warmer it is, the faster the dough will rise.

After your dough house doubled in size, dump it out onto your work surface. Divide the dough into two pieces if you desire.

How To Make The Latest Bread Trend: Spring Focaccia Gardens

Stretch the dough onto the pan. I got mine all the way to the edges because I made a double batch but if you are using a single batch, just shape it roughly in the center of the pan as much as you can. Here is a beautiful example from Vineyard Baker.

Cover your sheet pan in plastic wrap to keep the dough from drying out and then place it into the fridge overnight for the second proof.

Day 2 - Take your focaccia out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature for about 30 minutes. You want the dough to be nice and bubbly before you start decorating so that the dough doesn't envelop your veggies. I like to prep my toppings while the focaccia is warming up.

Garden Herb Focaccia Bread

Dimple the top of your focaccia as usual, add your olive oil and flakey salt. as directed in the recipe. Now you're ready to decorate! Go crazy! Have fun! Put the art in focaccia bread art!

After you top your focaccia, coat all the herbs with a layer of olive oil to prevent them from burning while you bake.

Now is the time to get creative with your focaccia bread art! Use your imagination! If you search focaccia bread art on Pinterest you will see TONS of inspiration!

Watch Your Garden (focaccia) Grow

Avalon went under the sea themed so she had lots of fish and sea creatures on hers. I especially love how Avalon used the sliced shallots so they looked like octopus swimming. So clever.

If you have any bread leftover, cover it with plastic wrap and store it in the fridge. Bake it for 10 minutes in an oven at 350ºF to refresh it before eating and it will taste good as new!

Garden

This easy focaccia recipe is the best! Just mix, rest, stretch and chill overnight to let all that amazing flavor develop. Perfect for using as a base for those beautiful focaccia bread art projects.

Focaccia Garden Bread

I place my dough near my oven set to 170ºF to help the dough rise. Mine usually only takes about 1 hour if my room is warm.

Serving: 1 serving | Calories: 168 kcal | Carbohydrates: 21 g | Protein: 4 g | Fat: 8 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Sodium: 1 mg | Potassium: 31 mg | Fiber: 1 g | Sugar: 1 g | Vitamin A: 5 IU | Vitamin C: 1 mg | Calcium: 5 mg | Iron: 1 mgMatthew Jones of Bread Ahead bakery and baking school has created this Easy Focaccia Garden – a beautiful and delicious bread made with a clever folding method that helps to avoid the usually hefty kneading process. You could have fun trying out different designs with the tomato, onion, herb and olive toppings to create a pretty garden effect.

Make a well in the flour mixture, pour in 400ml lukewarm water. Bring together to form a loose, wet dough using your hands, a dough scraper or stand mixer with dough hook. Mix for a few mins until evenly combined and glossy.

Secret Garden Focaccia Bread

Drizzle 2tbsp of the oil around the edge of the bowl, then tease it under the dough to help with sticking. Now wet your hands and put them under one side of the dough, pull it up and stretch it over to the other side. Do this from the two sides and the top and bottom – these four actions are a single fold. Leave to rest for 30 mins at room temperature.

Do these folds 2 more times, resting for 30 mins after each, then scatter over the olives (reserve a few to decorate). Do 1 more fold, then rest in the fridge for 10 mins.

-

Lightly grease a baking tray, about 20 x 30cm, with some oil. Slide the dough onto the tray, fold in half and lightly massage the rest of the oil evenly into the surface. Press wet fingertips into the top of the dough to gently coax it out to fill the tray and create dimples, trying not to deflate the dough or stretch it too much.

Gardenscape Garlic Focaccia Bread

Now add the toppings, such as onions, peppers and cherry tomatoes for flowers, chives and parsley for stems and foliage, and cherry tomatoes for a sun. You could also use some olives and thyme leaves – to look like cute insects! Leave to rest for 30 mins at room temperature (or keep in the fridge for up to 4 hrs). Preheat the oven to 240°C/220°C fan/gas 9.

Sprinkle the focaccia with salt and put in the oven; place a second baking tray with about 4tbsp water in the bottom of the oven. Bake for 15 mins, or until crispy. Remove from the oven, brush with a little more oil; cool and serve.My recipe or process how to make a Sourdough “Focaccia Garden” is a creative and easy way to make and bake a fabulous centrepiece for any social gathering.

My recipe or process how to make a Sourdough “Focaccia Garden” was borne of a slight obsession I have with all the amazingly creative and artistic decorated bread loaves you see on Instagram and other social media platforms. So, one rainy summer day I decided to join the Focaccia Garden trend and make one for myself. Eh voila, as they say down my way, I present my latest sourdough recipe for my Sourdough “Focaccia Garden”.

Express Your Artistic Flair With Garden Focaccia

I used my Classic Sourdough made Easy recipe as the base for this decorated focaccia bread, and then in the manner of a garden elf or fairy, I went foraging for the decoration ingredients from my herb garden and potager, with a brief foray into the pantry for any veggies that we don’t grow. Sourdough is such a great vehicle for focaccia, as this light sand airy Italian bread needs holes in it, which a well-bred sourdough will give you.

All you need to make this stunning Focaccia Garden is 500g of proved bread dough, preferably sourdough, lots of olive oil, herbs, vegetables, spices, salt

Garden

I have shared all the ingredients I used when making this particular Focaccia Garden in the recipe card, but you must let your creative side take over and use any seasonal ingredients that are available locally.

How To Make A Focaccia Garden

This recipe is easily made using what you have to hand, treat the basic bread as a blank canvas, (excuse the pun!) and use any of these other ingredients to make your own Sourdough Art, or Focaccia Art for today’s recipe for Sourdough “Focaccia Garden”.

I have shared my recipe for Sourdough “Focaccia Garden” below, in a printable recipe card, as well as sharing the step-by-step process of making this with helpful photos. I HOPE you will try this recipe, and if you do, PLEASE let me know by leaving a comment below.

Any other comments abut what you think of my recipe for Sourdough “Focaccia Garden” are also welcome, maybe we can have a decorating brainstorm session, where we can all share our ideas for future focaccia art baking! HAVE FUN if you make this, and PLEASE tag me on my social media channels here: Instagram; Twitter; Pinterest; Facebook and LinkedIn Bye for now, Karen

Garden Focaccia Bread Art

You can add meat if you wish, such as Parma ham to make roses, or scatter lardons (chopped bacon) on the base of the focaccia for the earth/ground.

This recipe serves 12 people as an accompaniment or as a light snack. Or, between 4 and 6 people as a main meal with salad and

Garden