Christmas Fruit Bread Recipe

Christmas Fruit Bread, make it as loaves or make it as a wreath. This sweet bread dough braid, formed into a wreath makes the perfect centrepiece for a Christmas Brunc h.

One ofmy holiday traditionsis a wonderfully sweet-smelling traditional Christmas Fruit Bread wreath. I have been making it for years and it is very similar to the one that I so enjoyed as a child, usually as a loaf.

Christmas

Back then we made it in loaf pans and I mostly remember devouring it as thick slices of toast with great gobs of melting butter.

Cranberry Fruit Bread

Today, around the Holidays, we enjoy it as a braided wreath, fresh from the oven at a Christmas brunch. The leftovers make a great base for a Christmas Bread Pudding.

Many will indeed prefer to make this as loves, as it is more commonly done here in Newfoundland. Toasted, it makes a taste of Christmas every morning of the season.

Here’s wishing our many loyal readers as well asthose new to this little corner of the web, a very happy and safe holiday season.

Nigel Slater's Small Rich Christmas Fruitcake Recipe

If you are looking for more Christmas baking inspiration, we have gathered a collection of our Most Popular Christmas Recipes of the past 12 years

It’s easy to keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes. Be sure to follow Rock Recipes Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram .

You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!

Happier Than A Pig In Mud: Christmas Panettone A Bread Machine Recipe

Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.

Christmas Fruit Bread Wreath, or make it as loaves. A sweet bread dough braid and formed into a Christmas wreath. The perfect centrepiece for a Christmas Brunch.

This recipe will make about 3 small loaves of Fruit Bread if you choose not to make it as a braided wreath. Recipe time does not include rising time.

Christmas Fruit And Nut Cake (low Fodmap)

The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.

Do you love our Real food recipes for real people'? Share the recipe on Facebook to let your friends know about us. They'll thank you for it.

Can you tell me why the first rise is only 15 min. if you are going to make this into loaves should the first rise be 45 min as it is in your cherry bread? ThanksIf there is one thing each year I look forward to around Christmas time, it is Christmas bread – Dutch nuts and dried fruit bread with an almond paste stuffing.

Vegan Gluten Free Christmas Cake

Dutch Christmas bread AKA ‘kerststol’ is an iconic Dutch holiday bread that dates back to the 13th century. It has a sweet almond paste filling and is packed with nuts, dried fruit and often candied citrus peel (called succade). It is mostly found on a Christmas morning’s breakfast table.

Christmas

Originally made with all purpose flour, lots of butter, refined sugar and heavily dusted with powdered sugar, I made sure mine was on the healthier side so we can indulge on it over the holidays. I used almond and white whole wheat flour, vegan butter, coconut sugar and powdered xylitol instead of powdered sugar.

When using dates in my almond paste, I start by chopping up the dates in a high speed blender (or using a food processor would work really well also). Once it becomes a paste I transfer it to a mixing bowl and add almond meal and lemon zest. I knead it until everything is combined and roll it out into a sausage a little shorter than the length of your Christmas bread (approx. 10-11 inches/ 25-27 cm). I roll it in plastic wrap and leave it overnight in the refrigerator. It will actually keep for over a week and the taste will develop so making it ahead of time is not a bad thing at all!

Christmas Stollen Recipe

When using honey, Stevia or (coconut) sugar instead of dates, you can skip the food processor step and immediately add the sweetener, almond meal and zest to a mixing bowl.

I usually make this at the same time I make the almond paste. It is nothing more that combine sugar and zest and storing it in a container in the refrigerator where the flavors can develop. When pressed for time (or if you forgot) you can skip this step and just use sugar and zest.

To soften the dried fruit a bit, I soak them in warm water for 15 minutes. I either do this the night before and leave them in the sieve over a glass to catch the water or I drain the water and dry them off with a towel. If you are pressed for time, you can skip this step.

Christmas Fruit Loaf (bread Machine Recipe) Recipe

To develop the yeast, I combine half of the flour, yeast, egg yolk and the milk in a mixing bowl using a large wooden spoon. I let it rest for 20 minutes.

Now I add the rest of the ingredients except for the dried fruit and nuts. So I mix in the rest of the flour, salt, cinnamon (or gingerbread spice), butter and sugar. I knead the dough by repeatedly stretching it out until it is smooth and velvety. It is ok if it is still a bit sticky. I put it back into the mixing bowl and cover it with a tea towel for 20 minutes.

-

This time I add the cranberries and pecans to the dough. I punch down the dough and make it flat. I place the dried fruit and nuts on top and roll up the dough. By doing this I make sure the add-ins are enclosed in the dough and will mostly be on the inside and not sticking out (too much) on the outside.

Panettone Recipe (bauducco Copycat)

I try to keep as much of the pecans and cranberries on the inside of the dough, but it doesn’t always work out that way….

I put the dough back into the mixing bowl, cover it with the tea towel and let it rise for another 20 minutes.

With a rolling pin I roll out the dough or I first divide it into 12 dough balls (when I make mini buns) and then roll them all out. The dough will have a dimension of approximately 14×10 inches/ 35×25 cm (big loaf).

How To Make Christmas Fruit Cake (recipe With Video)

Ok, now it is time to incorporate the almond paste. Here we go: I always make sure the edges of my rolled out dough are slightly thicker than the center. I will tell you why in a second. First I place the almond paste sausage in the middle of the dough:

Fold over the dough and make sure the 2 thicker sides are touching each other (so don’t place them on top of each other):

I already place the bread/buns on a greased and lightly floured baking tray so I don’t have to move or touch it/them anymore. I cover it/them with a tea towel and let it rise for 45-60 minutes. You can check if the dough has risen enough by making a light dent in the dough with your finger. If the dent disappears your dough isn’t ready yet and you will have to give it another 15 minutes.

Heat

Cream Cheese Dried Fruit Bread Recipe

I slide my Christmas bread in the oven and bake it for 32-35 minutes for a big loaf or 25-27 minutes for mini buns. If I see it is getting too dark, I lower the heat after 25 minutes to 160C (big loaf) or 15 minutes (mini buns).

I let the Christmas bread cool off for a few minutes before I brush some melted butter on it (this is optional and often I forget) to let it shine. When it is cooled off completely, you can dust it with powdered sugar/xylitol for a snowy effect.

No Christmas breakfast without this Christmas bread here in this household! We all love it! And I hope you will too. It is

The Best Holiday Fruitcake Recipe

Festive – packed with nuts and dried fruit – subtly sweet – a healthier option to a traditional Dutch Christmas bread – and oh so delicious!

We love everything bread! This Christmas bread, my holiday banana bread, these cute little pumpkin buns, my nuts and seeds bread or this carrot coconut bread.

A traditional Dutch nuts and fruit bread filled with an almond paste eaten around the holidays. A dusting of powdered sugar makes it even more festive. This bread is always on our Christmas (and Easter) morning breakfast table!

Christmas Fruit Bread Wreath. Make It As A Bread Wreath Or Loaves!

The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.

Fruit

If you like this recipe, please consider rating it