Rye Bread Recipe Video

Elise founded Simply Recipes in 2003 and led the site until 2019. She has an MA in Food Research from Stanford University.

For as long as I knew my friend George he was an enthusiastic bread maker. Often when I visited his home in Carlisle, Massachusetts, he had a freshly baked loaf of rye bread for us to enjoy.

How

One time when George came to visit my family in Carmichael, I put him to work, showing me the way he makes his rye bread.

High Fiber Seeded Sourdough Bread Recipe

Rye bread is simply bread that is made with rye flour. Rye has an earthy flavor, and using more or less of it in combination with other flours a loaf will give it more or less of that flavor. Rye bread is often made with additions like molasses and cocoa powder, which add color and flavor. Caraway seeds can be added as well, for an even more distinctive flavor.

While you can make a loaf that is made 100% rye, those tend to be quite dense and heavy. For a lighter loaf that still has good rye flavor, mix rye flour with bread flour, which helps form a better gluten structure within the dough.

As for this particular bread from George? It was wonderful. Lightly flavored, soft inside, with a crusty crust. My father doesn't like caraway seeds so they were kept out. I love them so the next time I make this bread they're going in.

Rye Sandwich Bread

It really helps to get your hands in it and learn directly from someone who can say, See? This is the right consistency for the dough. Bread making is something that you just have to practice. The more bread you make, the better you get at it.

Rye is, of course, essential for a good reuben sandwich or a classic liverwurst sandwich with pickled onions. It makes the perfect bread for a grilled cheese sandwich.

Have leftover rye bread that's going stale? Make them into bread crumbs and freeze them to use later. You can sprinkle them over salads, casseroles, or this Hot Reuben Dip.

Old World Rye Bread Machine Recipe

Rye bread will keep for several days at room temperature if kept in a paper bag. To extend its life another few days, wrap it in a plastic bag instead.

Rye bread also freezes very well. Wrap it in plastic wrap and aluminum foil, then store in a freezer bag for up to three months. Thaw at room temperature and reheat in the oven if desired.

*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2, 000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.

Rye And Ground Linseed Bread

Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. In cases where multiple ingredient alternatives are given, the first listed is calculated for nutrition. Garnishes and optional ingredients are not included.

We and our 1609 partners store and/or access information on a device, such as unique IDs in cookies to process personal data. You may accept or manage your choices by clicking below, including your right to object where legitimate interest is used, or at any time in the privacy policy page. These choices will be signaled to our partners and will not affect browsing data.

Homemade

Store and/or access information on a device. Use limited data to select advertising. Create profiles for personalised advertising. Use profiles to select personalised advertising. Create profiles to personalise content. Use profiles to select personalised content. Measure advertising performance. Measure content performance. Understand audiences through statistics or combinations of data from different sources. Develop and improve services. Use limited data to select content.Made with a mixture of bread and rye flours, a small amount of honey, and a few teaspoons of caraway seeds, this simple no-knead rye bread tastes beautifully tangy with a hearty, chewy texture perfect for sandwiches or toast. It comes together in no time and bakes in a single loaf pan, but the recipe can be doubled, and the baked bread freezes very well.

Homemade Rye Bread

Rye bread has a reputation of being dense and heavy as well as aggressively sour in flavor. While some people love these qualities, others, understandably, do not. I love a rye bread with a subtle tang and a hearty but not leaden texture.

This no-knead rye bread is just that: made with a mixture of bread and rye flours, the texture of the finished loaf is light enough for a sandwich but makes excellent toast as well. A small amount of honey balances out the sourness and lends a nice chew, while caraway seeds, which can be left out, impart subtle notes of citrus and anise.

This recipe calls for 1 cup of rye flour and 3 cups of bread flour, and while you could play around with increasing the proportion of rye in this recipe (which is roughly 20% by weight), keep in mind that the more rye flour you use, the denser your bread will be. Why? Because rye flour is different than wheat flour in a number of ways, namely:

Deli Rye Bread

, which is a great resource if you like to understand the science behind bread baking. I have to confess I have never made a recipe from the book, and I pull it out seldomly but when I do, I always find the answer I am looking for (and more!).

I was curious as to how much 1 cup of this particular rye flour would weigh, so I set my measuring cup on the scale and spooned in as much flour as I could without it spilling out.

Seeded

… which brought the flour down to just below the rim of the measuring cup. This is an example of why it is so important to use a scale. Depending on how we measure, 1 cup of flour can vary dramatically in weight.

Sourdough Rye Bread (with 100% Rye Flour) ⋆ My German Recipes

Let cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing. I like to slice it, then freeze it in bundles of 3 to 4 slices.

Salt: I always use Diamond Crystal kosher salt. If you are using Morton’s kosher salt or fine sea salt use half the amount by volume or the same amount by weight.

Yeast: If using active dry yeast, sprinkle the yeast over the lukewarm water-honey mixture and let stand for 10 minutes; then proceed with the recipe.

Easy And Delicious 50% Rye Sourdough

Caraway: If you don’t like the flavor of caraway, simply omit the seeds or use less: 1 to 2 teaspoons or to taste.Enjoying every bite of wholesome, homemade, naturally leavened bread is the only stage I want to stay in. It’s good for my soul and my body  — no self-induced deprivation, no indigestion and migraines from commercial hybridized high gluten wheat.

Since I just can’t settle on one thing, I don’t stop experimenting. I make breads with all kinds of grains and seeds – barley, millet, buckwheat, einkorn and spelt, emmer and kamut. When I find a recipe or combination I really enjoy, I record it on this blog and come back to it repeatedly.

Paul

Rye is one of my favorite grains. It might be because of my Russian heritage — you know how supposedly our bodies perform at their best on foods of our ancestors? Or maybe because it’s just plain delicious.

Danish Rye Bread

Rye breads are moist and sweet, perfect both with salty salmon roe and fruit jams. Whenever I have excess sourdough rye bread, I cut it up into small bites and toast them in the oven.  My kids eat it them as snacks, and I use them for making traditional Russian kvass.

There is plenty of recipes for sourdough rye bread out there.  A lot of them are a combination of rye and wheat, including one of my own here. The traditional all-rye breads can be quite time consuming taking several days to put together (like Swedish and German breads).

This recipe is very simple and uses 100% rye flour made from whole ground rye berries. I grind my own using this Victorio mill (the motor is sold separately), but you can also buy already made rye flour.

Easiest Ever No Knead Rye Bread Recipe

I started using KoMo Mio Grain Mill and never looked back – it transformed my milling experience for the better = faster + quieter + finer grind + prettier 🙂 . If you are familiar with rye flour, it’s darker than wheat but by itself it produces a light gray color, instead of what most people think of as rye color – darker brown.

Traditional pumpernickel breads rely on Maillard reaction – with deep browning occurring during very long (16-24 hours) low temperature baking. To get a pretty brown look, I add a little raw cacao powder. It gives a beautiful color without changing the taste. Plus it kicks in extra nutrients. Extra nutrients is the reason I add sprouted rye flour. I see this brand at some Whole Foods. I make my own following the same steps as in this post. If you cannot source it or make it, just omit it and use more rye flour.

Easy

In the old Russia (by old I don’t mean Soviet times, but any time between the 11th and 19th century), it was common for peasants and craftsmen to have

How To Make Homemade Rye Bread