Baking Powder Rye Bread Recipes

Although rye bread inherently has gluten, since rye is a gluten-containing grain, we recreate it’s key flavors with this Gluten-Free Rye Bread! This rye-style bread is made with buckwheat flour, caraway seeds, and cocoa powder to mimic the flavors and textures you love – all without the gluten.

Hello to all my rye bread lovers!! When I started making gluten-free sourdough bread back in 2020 and sharing it with my gluten-free family members, my dad immediately started making one request, over and over again: gluten-free rye bread. After explaining to him that rye bread is inherently

-

Gluten-free, since rye is a grain that contains gluten, I told him I would try to create a rye-style gluten-free bread that would satisfy the same cravings.

Rye Bread Recipe (baking With Rye Flour Explained)

My great grandparents owned a bakery in New York that was famous for their rye bread when my grandpa was growing up, so I knew I had to nail this recipe. It’s in my BLOOD! I had to get approval from grandpa, and this recipe has gotten two VERY big thumbs up from him. My dad and grandpa are requesting loaves of this gluten-free rye weekly!

This recipe has been in the works for over two years and has undergone a number of iterations. I hope you love it as much as my family does. If you’re missing rye bread too, I hope it satisfies all your cravings.

This was the key. It needed to not just look like rye bread, with that rich, golden brown color, but it also needed to taste and feel like rye bread. These are the ingredients that get it done:

Homemade Rye Bread

Make the psyllium gel by combining the psyllium husk, date syrup (or other sweetener) and hot water. Whisk to combine, and let it set for a few minutes while you mix up the dry ingredients. It will thicken and gel during this time.

Add the wet to the dry ingredients and use a dough hook or a danish dough whisk to mix it together well, until all the dry ingredients are incorporated and hydrated.

Knead the dough just enough to shape it into a dough round. Add sesame seeds or other seeds to garnish at this time, if desired. Place it in a floured banneton or cloth-lined bowl to rise.

Easy No Knead Rye Bread Joy The Baker

Bake in the preheated over with a lid on for 1 hour, and then remove the lid to bake for the remaining 20-ish minutes, until golden brown.

Cool completely before cutting into the loaf! This is super important – cutting in too early will release steam and make for a gummy loaf. Slice and enjoy!!

To bake your gluten-free rye bread in aloaf pan, follow the same instructions up until you’re placing the dough in the banneton. Instead, shape the dough to a longer oval shape and place the dough seam side down in themetal loaf pan you’ll be baking in. Metal will help conduct the heat more efficiently to help your bread bake through – I don’t recommend using another material.

Classic Irish Rye Soda Bread

Cover with a tea towel or plastic wrap, and allow the dough to rise in the pan until puffy, about an hour. When you’re ready to bake, bake for an hour. Check on the loaf and if it’s firm enough, remove it from the pan and bake directly on the oven racks for another 20 minutes or so, until golden all around and hollow-sounding when you knock on the sides or bottom.

Since you’re baking without steam when baking a loaf, the crust will be a bit crustier. To prevent this, you can brush the top with oil before and after baking, and/or wrap the warm loaf in a towel as it cools to help soften the crust with the bread’s own steam.

To store this bread, I recommend keeping it in a bread bag or box for 2 to 3 days at room temperature. It’s best to use it fresh if you plan on eating it untoasted, for things like sandwiches.

Easiest Ever No Knead Rye Bread Recipe

You can also slice the loaf, and keep it in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for up to a week, or in the freezer for up to 2 months.

-

A classic Gluten-Free Bread boule, made with yeast and ready in just a few hours! It’s light, fluffy, and perfect for sandwiches, toast, and anything else you’d use bread for. This gluten-free loaf is also vegan and free of the top 8 food allergens.

You can make this Gluten-Free Flatbread Recipe quickly with just seven ingredients! This recipe works well as a replacement for gluten-free naan bread, gluten-free pita bread, or any other kind of flatbread.

Porcini Soda Bread

This Easy Gluten-Free Focaccia Bread Recipe has just eight ingredients and the dough comes together quickly and easily! This fluffy focaccia can be made with a wide variety of toppings and is ready in under two hours, including the rise time. Vegan & Top-8 allergen-free.It's part love letter, but really, I want to let you know which cookbooks I use in my kitchen several times a week. If you reach for a cookbook on a weeknight, or if you reach for a cookbook more than once a week, it's a good sign.

I have a coffee nook in my kitchen, well, I'm a tea drinker, so I should call it a tea nook, but it was clearly designed as a coffee station. Anyway, since I have no need for a coffee maker, espresso machine, or any of those other coffee tools in my nook, I keep a small selection of cookbooks on the counter.

It's well-thought-out; it's the books I love the most and use the most. Not just beautiful books that inspire me, it's incredible books that make me want to get in the kitchen and cook that very instant. Often, the pages have food splatters and can be a bit sticky, but that's even better for me.

How To Make Homemade Rye Bread

The cookbooks that I use the most are written by Heidi Swanson from 101cookbooks.com . I first discovered her when I moved to California, and upon first meeting, I believe I told her that she taught me everything I know about California cuisine.

Heidi taught me how to shop at and how to love farmer's markets, and she taught me about Deborah Madison and all the other great chefs in California that are paving/had paved the way for eating REAL food. Because of Heidi, my top factor when choosing food is where was it produced and how was it produced.

Gluten

I reach for her cookbooks after every farmer's market haul. Her stuff is vegetarian, yes, but it's the most flavorful, unique vegetarian food I've ever had that makes you never miss the meat, honest!

Quick Rye Soda Bread Recipe + Video (irish Soda Bread Without Yeast)

In full disclosure, my husband and I are part-time vegetarians. While most people do 'meatless Monday' and take one day off each week from meat, we actually only eat meat one day a week or so. It's not uncommon for us to call instant pot mac and cheese with a salad a Monday night dinner, and enjoy a my orzo pasta salad with feta or my pesto tortellini salad later in the week. Our one meat day might include my honey garlic chicken thighs .

Heidi's recipes are inventive and far from your standard vegetarian recipes. I own all of her books, and I cook from them often.

Super Natural Every Day is the one I grab the most, though I am working my way through the very beautiful Near & Far .

Baking Powder Bread

Her dish called Otsu is something I make for company, especially company that has food allergies. Plus, it's my belief that she invented baked oatmeal , and the world is a much better place for it.

Today, I'm sharing with you her recipe for rye bread. It doesn't have any yeast, and is technically a rye soda bread. It bakes up so crunchy, crusty, and beautiful that it took my breath away the first time I made it years ago.

As I baked this rye bread recipe for possibly the one-hundredth time to photograph this for you, it still took my breath away when it emerged from the oven.

Easy

Wheat And Rye Sourdough Bread

Honestly, I can't believe I get to count Heidi as one of my friends. She inspires me so much. A woman who can make bread with just 4 ingredients that tastes this good is an angel.

I keep rye flour in my house now to make this rye bread whenever I have soup or stew on the stove. It comes together so quickly, and serving homemade bread with a meal makes me feel like I've got my life together.

For some strange reason, my daughter isn't that into carbs, unless gnocchi is involved, and she frequently licks the butter off bread and leaves the bread.

Easy Overnight Danish Rye Bread (rugbrød)

However, she loves this rye bread. The dark color scared her at first, so I served it with the dill butter that Heidi recommends in the book, and it sold her. Most commonly, I serve it with salted European-style butter.

It's important to me that Camille learns to love bread and carbs, because there are so many B vitamins in whole grains. I am so grateful this rye bread recipe helps me accomplish that goal.

Rye

Dark Rye Bread (no Knead, Overnight Recipe)