Dave'S Killer Bread Recipes

You can make your own super healthy, nutrition packed bread from scratch with thisCopycat Dave's Killer Bread recipe for the home bread baker!

Here's a reboot from the archives, friends! I originally made this recipe almost 3 years ago when I was pregnant with M. I made it quite a few times, but then a lot of you told me you were having difficulties with the recipe. So, I went back to it and played with it and adjusted it and made (and ate) a

-

Now is it an exact copy of Dave's? No. But is it a pretty delicious, nutritious close enough to make the at home Copycat Dave's Killer Bread to make the home bread maker happy? Yup, I'm pretty sure it is.

Toast With The Most {walnut Pesto Toast With Pears & Gorgonzola Cheese And Strawberry Almond Butter Toast With Chia Seeds & Chocolate}

My deep love for all things gluten is pretty evident by all of thebreadwe make (and eat) in this house. From our Vietnamese Baguette, Dan's Como Bread, No Knead Rosemary Garlic Bread, No Knead NY Deli Rye, and the latest, Whole Wheat Honey Oat Bread, suffice to say we love homemade bread in this house. But we also want to ensure that we're still getting all the same nutrition that I was obsessed with while preggo with both the girls. I'm still nursing our littlest babe and I am a firm believer that what I eat 100% matters to as by way of my milk, I'm setting down fundamental building blocks to good nutrition to this tiny human. Therefore, I want all the nutritional bang for the buck I can get in my food.There's no denying how nutritious Dave's Killer Bread is. The 21 Whole Grains and Seeds is one of my (and M's) favorites. So naturally, I wanted to figure out how to make it from scratch!From scratch, but still packing as much of nutritional punch as possible.

Whole wheat flour. Kamut flour. Amaranth flour. And finally, spelt flour. Ok ok, if you're keeping track, that's only 14 whole grains and seeds. But it gets to a point where if the ingredient list becomes so insane you're going to be spending way more $ on the copycat than the the original.

Now I'm a pretty self proclaimed lazy baker. Hence all of my no knead breads. This bread though, this bread takes some work. Once you've activated your yeast, added your flours and then all of the seeds, you're going to have a super sticky dough. Which is good. It's what you want. It's what you

Dave's Killer Bread Superseed I Think I Have It! Loaf #6

Because of the seeds that will suck out a lot of moisture from the dough, in order to get a nice soft crumb (center) of your loaf, you need two things: good hydration and a well kneaded dough.

It's not easy to work with because it's soooo sticky. Your first thought will be to add more flour - but don't do it! Work through the super stickiness, get it all on your hands (take off your rings and jewelry first unlike me...), and work that dough. A lot. Like 15 solid minutes of kneading. Your arms will get sore. Your hands will be covered in dough. Don't do it on a cutting board, do it on your counter top. And work it. Work it good.

Knead it until it passes the windowpane test. This is when you know the gluten in the dough is well developed enough. Essentially, take a small ball of dough and then slowly spread your fingers apart while holding it, stretching it out until it's like a windowpane that you can see light through, but that it doesn't rip. If it rips, that means that the gluten hasn't been worked enough and you have more kneading to do.

The Best Copycat Dave's Killer Bread Recipe

Now with this bread, because it's mostly made up of whole wheat flour, which has less gluten than a standard white bread flour, you will need to work it longer to activate it. Again, your arms will be tired. You'll want to just call it good. But don't! You'll end up with a super dense loaf!

Then, thanks to Calorie Count I can see exactly how nutritional my copycat is! Sliced nice and thin (I got about 15 thin slices from a loaf), and no, it's not as nutritious Dave's 21 Whole Grains and Seeds, but for a homemade bread, this Copycat Dave's Killer Bread is pretty darn nutritious and delicious.

Enjoy, friends! I hope you all have much more luck with this Copycat Dave's Killer Bread recipe - as always, let me know! I love hearing from you!I am in no way an expert on all things related to bread making. I’m learning as I go and sharing the journey. Case in point: this bread incident.

-

Deli Style Club Sandwich — Dave's Killer Bread

A few months ago, I had the opportunity to get my fix of the real Dave’s Killer Bread while visiting the Pacific Northwest. Since then, I’ve been tweaking the recipe ever so slightly to try and get it even closer to the original.

I think the hardest thing to mimic is the texture or consistency of commercially baked bread with homemade bread. There are processes and preservatives that we don’t have in our everyday kitchens. Not that it stops me from trying!

Besides, if I don’t keep baking bread, I won’t have anything to eat for breakfast. Or lunch. Okay, sometimes dinner. But, that’s where I draw the line. 🙂

Amazon.com: Dave's Killer Bread, Powerseed, Organic, 27 Oz

1. To make the recipe slightly sweeter, I’ve been using 3 GENEROUS Tablespoons each of molasses and honey. This is an increase of 1 Tablespoon of molasses from what I started out using. If a little extra drips into the bowl, I’m not complaining. And if you run out of one or the other when you are baking, just substitute the other – I’ve done it and it works fine.

2. I’ve increased the vital wheat gluten to 1/2 cup from 1/4 cup. You can make this recipe without it and it will be just fine, but I think it does help texture-wise.

Dave's

3. To try and eliminate the variations in my bread outcomes (rising, not rising, lighter, heavier, etc.), I’ve become more careful about how I have been measuring the flour. Crazy, I know.

Killer French Toast Casserole

I’ve been sifting my flour and then using the spoon method to measure each cup. So, I scoop up the sifted flour with a spoon and empty it into the measuring cup. When the cup is full, I use the back of a butter knife to level it off.

I’m sure in a commercial bakery they are weighing the ingredients to maintain accuracy. I’m not that sophisticated in my kitchen and I have a super humid climate to deal with, so the amount of flour I use varies. The important thing is that you measure the flour the exact same way every time you make the recipe – at least, that’s my current theory!

4. To help deal with the humidity and the extra liquid I’ve added to the recipe, I’ve lowered the water content to 2 cups instead of 2 1/4 cups. Even with the lowered water amount and the increased vital wheat gluten, I still have to add more than 4 cups of flour each time I make the recipe. That’s why there’s an asterisk on the amount of wheat flour to use on the recipe below.

Product Review: Dave's Killer Bread

Well, we are down to 3 slices of bread, so I’m signing off now to get my hands happily goo’d up with bread dough! I hope you like this recipe and I’m super thankful for the original creator who did all of the heavy lifting! Happy baking!

The

Fill large bowl with warm water. Ideally, it will be 115 degrees Fahrenheit. Sprinkle the yeast on top of the water and let set for 5 – 10 minutes so the yeast can start working. I use this time to get out my other ingredients and by then, it should be good to go.

Add coconut oil, honey, molasses and salt to the water/yeast mixture. Give it a quick, gentle stir with a fork to break up the coconut oil (it usually comes as a solid).

Dave's Killer Bread® Vegan Blt On Righteous Rye™

Add in 2 cups of the white flour and 2 cups of the wheat flour. *SET ASIDE THE REMAINING CUP OF WHEAT FLOUR. (You may or may not need it depending on the humidity in your area. Some days I only need a quarter cup extra, some days I need the entire cup of flour.) Stir in the flour with a fork and then begin working the dough with your hands. If the dough remains sticky after you’ve kneaded it several times, start sprinkling a little bit of your reserved cup of flour in the bowl. Work the additional flour in with your hands. I can tell it is done when it has a more play-doh like texture – pliable, but not too sticky. You definitely do not want it goopy, but you don’t want it too dry either. (It might take 5 – 10 minutes of kneading and working in flour before mine is the right consistency.)

When the texture of the dough is ready, form the dough into a ball. Drizzle a little olive oil in the bottom