Date Nut Bread Recipe Barefoot Contessa

So I was watching Food Network the other day and I've come to the realization that Ina is absolutely awesome. It seems that others in the food blog world tend to agree. I mean who would not be drawn to her delicious food, her charming personality, and her culinary experience.

And who could argue against her idea that using great vanilla extract and good quality ingredients with a good recipe gives a great product.

-

And the end result was one of pure perfection. This is one of the best recipes that Ina has ever made and I look forward to making it over and over and over and over .... (someone stop me this instant).

Barefoot Contessa Zucchini Bread Recipe

So try it out and let me know how it is. Mine was moist and the flavor of the dates worked beautifully with the nuts and the orange. I cut down on the sugar by half from the recipe I got from Smitten Kitchen, but I feel I can go down even more - the dates do give off enough sweetness.

2. Soak dates in 1/3 cup of the orange juice for 30 minutes. Got to do a quality control check here (not really but who cares - it's dates soaked in orange juice, so taste one) - proclaim that it's delicious and move on.

7. Put it in the oven for 50 minutes - although check it at the 35-40 min mark with a toothpick, since mine essentially got done at this point.

-

Delicious Date Nut Bread

Although Ina recommends her orange cream cheese spread, truthfully, I just prefer the date nut loaf by itself. I tend to appreciate baked goods more without having excessive additions to it. But if you really want orange cream cheese spread to impress people or to indulge, it's basically a ton of orange zest mixed with room temperature cream cheese.I had been dreaming about this bread since the moment I saw Ina Garten mix it up on one of her shows. Quick breads are always a favorite of mine, but combining cold-weather spices with dates, pecans and orange? That was more than a potential favorite; that was heaven. I quickly bookmarked the recipe and plotted for a time to make it. Well, busy minds tend to forget things like the most delicious-looking bread ever. It wasn’t until a few months later when I got Ina’s Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics

Book and saw that the bread was in there that my infatuation with it began to swell again. And now, finally, ANOTHER month or so later, I have made the bread. Hallelujah! Being a good Pittsburgh girl, I know the Heinz ketchup mantra of “good things come to those who wait” but man oh man, this is better than good, this is indeed heavenly.

Bakeology

The episode that this bread was featured on was one in which Ina puts together a breakfast basket for a friend that included this bread, the orange cream cheese, some homemade marmalade, and a few other things. Feeling fully inspired, I am using this bread as the centerpiece of some holiday gift baskets I am planning on making. While the cream cheese spread is fantastic (read:

Date Nut Spice Bread

) and you should definitely not skip it, I am leery about putting it in baskets due to the lack of refrigeration factor. No sicknesses on my watch! So right now I am planning to put together a basket with this bread, a jar of preserves from a local orchard, a nice mug (or two, depending on who the basket is going to), a package of biscotti with complementary flavors, and some good chocolate.

-

Calories: 569 kcal , Carbohydrates: 89 g , Protein: 7 g , Fat: 20 g , Saturated Fat: 8 g , Cholesterol: 58 mg , Sodium: 445 mg , Potassium: 524 mg , Fiber: 5 g , Sugar: 58 g , Vitamin A: 535 IU , Vitamin C: 13.8 mg , Calcium: 117 mg , Iron: 2.5 mg

) and you should definitely not skip it, I am leery about putting it in baskets due to the lack of refrigeration factor. No sicknesses on my watch! So right now I am planning to put together a basket with this bread, a jar of preserves from a local orchard, a nice mug (or two, depending on who the basket is going to), a package of biscotti with complementary flavors, and some good chocolate.

-

Calories: 569 kcal , Carbohydrates: 89 g , Protein: 7 g , Fat: 20 g , Saturated Fat: 8 g , Cholesterol: 58 mg , Sodium: 445 mg , Potassium: 524 mg , Fiber: 5 g , Sugar: 58 g , Vitamin A: 535 IU , Vitamin C: 13.8 mg , Calcium: 117 mg , Iron: 2.5 mg