Coconut Bread Recipe Bill Granger

Every couple of months 2 men land up at our building and cut the ripe coconuts off the trees. They should really come around more often because we’ve got many dents on our car from falling coconuts. I watched them work the last time they were here. Its incredible how they do it. One of them shimmies up the tree, ties a rope around a bunch of coconuts and then the man standing below lowers it down. It all seems effortless, which it isn’t, it doesn’t take very long and at the end of it there are neat mounds of coconuts all around the compound.

Despite my Punjabi blood I love coconuts – coconut water, the flesh, the milk and the cream. I prefer coconuts in food but I do like them as a dessert as well. I have my favourite macaroons from Defence Bakery in Delhi, packets of which I bring back with me and I absolutely LOVE Baathk, a Goan coconut and semolina cake. I wish someone would give me a good recipe for it ..… HINT !!!

Bill

Inspired by the coconuts I tried a Jamaican recipe for Coconut Bread from Bill Granger’s Bills Sydney Food. Its half way between a bread and a cake and uses baking powder instead of yeast. It was yum.

Toasted Coconut Bread

Sift flour, baking powder and cinnamon together into a bowl, add sugar and coconut, and stir to combine. Make a well in the centre and gradually stir in the egg mixture until just combined. Add melted butter and stir until the mixture is just smooth, being careful not to over mix.

Pour into a greased and floured 21 X 10 cm (8 ½” x 4”) loaf tin and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour, or until bread is cooked when tested with a skewer. Leave in the tin to cool for 5 minutes, and remove to cool further on a wire rack. Serve in thick slices, toasted, buttered, and dusted with icing sugar.

I had to turn my cake around half way through and cover with baking paper. I also reduced the temperature around the same time to 160° C – but that’s just my oven. It took a little less than 1 hour. I tried it with the icing sugar but it’s as nice without.

Bill Granger's Lime And Coconut Dessert Recipe

Bill Granger’s suggestion is to eat it for breakfast with lime marmalade …. Also to cut into slices and keep in the freezer.

As a nice ending to my coconut post, my 7 year old daughter came home today with a present – a baby coconut she found on the ground.One of my little projects this year is going back through fifteen years of blog archives and updating some of my very favourite recipes. I started my blog as a graphic design college student back in 2007. I was just getting into baking, blogging and photography and never imagined that I would still be doing all these things so many years later! Today’s recipe is Bill Granger’s Coconut Bread, which I first made in 2008 and which is still on his cafe menus all around the world.

Bill is Sydney’s King of Breakfast, winning us over with fluffy ricotta pancakes and even fluffier scrambled eggs. Apparently he even created avocado toast, which is a staple on almost every cafe menu in the country. Trust me, I have designed hundreds of menus!

Bill's Jamaican Coconut Bread

Embraces the multicultural melting pot that Australia is now. While the book is beautiful, it would have been great to see some recipes incorporating native ingredients. Think wattleseed, finger lime, lemon myrtle alongside the recipes containing harissa, umeboshi and kimchi. I know I’m oversimplifying this issue, but I hope that in the very near future, true “Australian” food can be a mix of both our wonderful and unique native ingredients AND the rich food history of all cultures who call Australia home today.

This Coconut Bread originally had Sri Lankan origins. This loaf is a nice alternate for the classic banana bread. But it’s arguably even easier to whip up because you don’t need to wait for your bananas to be at the perfect level of ripeness. All the ingredients are things you likely have in your kitchen right now! It’s not *quite* a one-bowl recipe (maybe a bowl + a jug) but it comes together easily with minimal washing up.

It makes a truly great weekend breakfast. Or, you can make it ahead of time! It lasts well in a container for several days and it can also be frozen in slices. I love it simply toasted with lots of butter, but you could get extra fancy as I have here. I whipped some creamy ricotta with maple syrup and vanilla to a smooth consistency. It is delicious slathered it onto the toasted coconut bread. I also loved it topped with mango and berries for ~summer vibes~ but use whatever fruit you love! Fresh peaches, sliced banana, blueberries or caramelised pineapple would also be delish.

Coconut

Bills Coconut Bread

I made a few small tweaks to the original recipe, using shredded coconut rather than desiccated. The texture is just wonderful. I also added some coconut extract to really pump up the flavour and reduced the amount of cinnamon. You could also try substituting coconut milk for the regular milk. If I test this, I’ll update the recipe below!

I tested this Coconut Bread twice while preparing this blog post. The first time I made it exactly as I had on the original blog post. The texture was a bit more dense, like a pound cake. I made it a second time, increasing the baking powder and adding a little self-raising flour. It rose up high and beautiful with a lighter, more crumbly texture. I preferred the second loaf, whereas my sister loved the first one. I’ll leave instructions in the notes underneath this recipe so you can tailor it to your own personal preference!

If you make this Coconut Bread recipe, please let me know here in the comments or over on Instagram. Please take a pic and tag me@. I absolutely love to see your photos of the recipes you’ve made!

Melt And Mix Banana Bread

This Coconut Bread comes from Bill Granger's famous cafes. It's a great alternate for classic banana bread – but even easier because you probably have all the ingredients in your pantry right now!

To make a more dense hearty loaf, use 2 1/2 cups (375g) plain flour instead of substituting the self raising flour and 2 tablespoons baking powder.

-

Hello! I'm Lisa... Freelance graphic designer, blogger and photographer from Sydney, Australia. I love doughnuts and polka dots! Here on you'll find simple recipes made from scratch - from cake to kimchi.Recently, Graham O'Loghlin of Yarralumla made a loaf of coconut bread to serve to friends at afternoon tea. He asked if I had ever eaten at bill's cafe in Darlinghurst and, because I had, he gave me a takeaway slice before the guests arrived. The recipe came from a weekend magazine for which Bill Granger was guest chef.

Bill Granger Fig Cake

At a cafe lunch for nine of us a fortnight later, Graham generously brought another loaf sliced for everyone to take home and toast it.

In The Canberra Times on November 19, a news report stated Mr Morrison presented Mr Suga [the Japanese Prime Minister] with a Bill Granger cookbook ... Mr Suga, who enjoys the ricotta pancakes served at Granger's cafe in Tokyo's Ginza district, is understood to have loved the gifts.

The scrumptious recipe for the coconut bread is published in Bill Granger's latest book Australian Food (photography by Mikkel Vang, Murdoch Books, $49.99) and we have been given permission to share it with you. As Granger explains, when they opened in Darlinghurst in 1993 he wanted to bake a daily loaf to serve as a variation on banana bread. This foolproof coconut bread came from one of our cooks, who learnt it from a Sri Lankan chef.

Piece Of Cake: Coconut Bread

1. Grease the sides and line the base of a 21x10cm loaf tin with baking paper. Preheat the oven to 180C (160C fan).

Coconut

2. Mix together the eggs, milk and vanilla. Stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, sugar and coconut in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre, gradually stir in the egg mixture until just combined. Add the melted butter and stir until just smooth, being careful not to overmix.

3. Pour into the loaf tin and bake for one hour, or until a skewer poked into the centre comes out clean. Leave in the tin to cool for five minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool before slicing.

Coconut Bread (and 3 More Uses For Coconut) » The Candida Diet

Tip: The coconut bread is easily frozen. Cut into slices first and slip a piece of baking paper between each slice. Store in an airtight container in the freezer and toast straight from frozen.

Lots of readers sent emails about the food their worms most enjoyed (Kitchen Garden, November 10). Bananas were top but many said rockmelon so a friend gave me a couple of chunks leftover from his fruit salad and I placed them on the compost pile. They disappeared overnight.

It is reported that honeydew melons

-

Coconut Bread And Lime Marmalade « What Rachel Ate