Multigrain Bread Recipe America'S Test Kitchen

This recipe is truly the Bests Homemade Multigrain Bread I’ve ever baked. After years of searching for a multigrain bread that I can bake at home, I found “the one”. The flavor is perfect, and the texture bakes up light yet chewy, without being tough The not-so-secret ingredient is using a packaged 7-Grain hot cereal. I bake this every other Sunday, because I freeze one loaf for later while enjoy one loaf with our morning toast. This makes perfect toast, grilled cheese sandwiches– or any kind of sandwich.

I don’t think that anyone would argue that fresh baked bread is hard to beat. Baking homemade bread does take a little bit of practice, I know. For some, the thought of working with yeast makes them nervous. I was once of of “them”. Past loaves I’ve baked in past years, were best used as paper weights or a door stop. I’ve made loaves that didn’t rise, or were underbaked inside. At last, I have conquered my fear of working with yeast and I have come to love it! Bread baking is a science, but if you read the directions a few times– follow them without making any kind of deviations– the odds are in your favor that you will have success!

Seeded

I stopped eating white bread a long time ago– once I reached adulthood and no longer had PBJ’s in my lunch box. I switched over to eating whole wheat bread — preferably a multigrain bread. But, finding a commercially made one hasn’t been easy. The cost of quality bread is sky rocketing! My favorite brand of bread has becoming harder to find, as well.

No Knead Multigrain Bread

At last, I found the bread recipe that is exactly what I am looking for in a multigrain bread– flavorful, a little chewy but not tasting like wood and it’s perfect for my morning toast. This is it, my readers! I have made this four times, since I took these photos– and, as I am typing this post, I have two more loaves proofing before being baked. That’s how much I love this recipe!

I’m a big fan of Bob’s Red Mill products– and the vital ingredient for this bread is the 7-Grain Hot Cereal. I couldn’t find it at any of my grocery stores, but I managed to order mine on Amazon. NOTE: I did find the 10-Grain Hot Cereal at one of my grocery stores, and I’ve used it for this recipe with good results as well. (You can also use Arrowhead Mills brand, as well.) Using this hot cereal is pure genius, because it contains wheat, rye, triticale, oats, oat bran, barley, brown rice and flaxseed.

Once cooled, honey, melted butter add yeast (Preferred brand is SAF Instant Yeast, but Fleischmann’s Active Dry Yeast works as well) and stirred a bit.

Multigrain Loaf Bread Recipe

Using the low setting of my stand mixer, I let the machine mix this until it formed a ball– then covered it with plastic. I learned a new term called “autolyse” where I let this dough rest for 20 minutes. Cook’s Illustrated describes this term as:

Autolyse, a resting period just after the initial mixing of water and flour that gives flour time to hydrate. This combination also made the dough less tacky and therefore easier to work with. The result was a loaf that baked up light yet chewy, without being tough.

There are three ways to knead dough– with your hands and some elbow grease, with a bread machine or (my favorite) with a stand mixer. For Christmas, my husband encouraged me to upgrade my Kitchen Aid Tilt Model Stand Mixer for Bowl-Lift Kitchen Aid Pro Stand Mixer. I have to say that this machine is amazing for bread baking! I love the “pig-tail” attachment that kneads dough better than I imagined was possible. WARNING: You will be seeing a lot more bread dough recipes in the coming weeks, because I’ve been baking a lot of them! The dough is ready for it’s first “proof” (rise).

Gluten Free Classic Sandwich Bread

At this point, you can add either pumpkin or sunflower seeds. I’ve tried it both ways– and our personal preference is sunflower seeds.

The

Then, rolled it and shaped it into a loaf — then sprayed a little oil and rolled the loaves into some oatmeal flakes, then set it into my bread pans.

Perfect! A light touch of my finger has the dough feeling tender and proofed enough to bake. Preheat the oven to 375F.

Gluten Free Whole Grain Bread: Artisan Bread With Video

Carefully remove the loaves from the pan, and set on a cooling rack. As tempting as it seems, I resist slicing into the bread before it has cooled. For one, slicing into hot bread can have the potential of “smooshing” the loaf.

I have owned a Presto Bread Slicing Guide and electric knife for decades. They aren’t made any longer (but I’ve seen them on eBay for around $30.00). I love mine, because I get even and perfect slices every time!

The

Just be sure to use a serrated knife. My favorite bread knife is this one. I like to slice both loaves, wrap them in plastic wrap and then foil. They freeze beautifully!

Nature's Own Perfectly Crafted Multigrain Bread Thick Sliced Non Gmo Sandwich Bread, 22 Oz

TASTING NOTES: Hands down, this bread is a clear winner! The more I make this dough, the more I appreciate the beautiful texture of working with it. I find that the small amount of kneading that I do (to incorporate the sunflower seeds) reminds me of the Play Dough of my youth.

BREAD BAKING SIMPLE TIPS: Here are a few bread baking tips that help me to be more successful. Don’t be discouraged if some of your attempts fail. Learn from them and you will get better and better. My best instructions have been from watching videos on America’s Test Kitchen (I have a paid all-access subscription). King Arthur Flour is one of my favorite recipe sources, plus their Baker’s Hotline is free to call–and the bakers are always super helpful and friendly.

After years of searching for a multigrain bread that I can bake at home, I found the one. The flavor is perfect, with the perfect texture– baked up light yet chewy, without being tough The not-so-secret ingredient is using a packaged 7-Grain hot cereal. I bake this every other Sunday, because I freeze one loaf. This makes perfect toast, grilled cheese sandwiches– or any kind of sandwich.

Easy

Unique Sprouted Wheat Bread Machine Recipe With Honey And Seeds

Don’t confuse 7-grain hot cereal mix with boxed, cold breakfast cereals that may also be labeled “7-grain.” Our favorite brands of 7-grain mix are Bob’s Red Mill and Arrowhead Mills. Leftover bread can be wrapped in a double layer of plastic wrap and stored at room temperature for 3 days; wrap with an additional layer of aluminum foil and the bread can be frozen for up to one month.I love this loaf. I keep coming back to it, time and again, year after year. Sometimes, when I need variety, I switch to something else for a season, but then I’m back. It’s just, simply, terrific. Thanks to ATK for this one. From America’s Test Kitchen Favorite Recipes, 2007.

Place the cereal mix in the bowl of a standing mixer (Kitchen Aid or equivalent) and pour the boiling water over it. Let it stand, stirring occasionally, until the mixture cools to 100 degrees and resembles thick porridge, about one hour. Whisk the flours together in a medium bowl.

Once the grain mixture has cooled, add the honey, melted butter, and yeast and stir to combine. Attach the bowl to a standing mixer fitted with a dough hook. Wither the mixer running on low speed, add the flours, ½ c. at a time, and knead until the dough forms a ball, 1 ½ -2 minutes. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rest 20 minutes. Add the salt and knead on med-low speed until it clears the sides of bowl (3-4 min.). If it doesn’t clear, add 2-3 T flour and continue mixing. Continue to knead the dough for 5 more minutes. Add the seeds and knead for 15 seconds. Transfer to a floured work surface and knead it by hand until the seeds are dispersed evenly and the dough forms a smooth, taut ball. Place the dough into a greased container with a 4-qt. capacity. Cover the container with plastic wrap and let the dough rise until doubled in size, 45-60 minutes.

High Fiber Seeded Sourdough Bread Recipe

Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Spray two 9 x 5 loaf pans with nonstick spray. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and pat it into a 12 x 9 rectangle. Cut the dough in half crosswise with a knife or bench scraper.

Light

Working with one piece of dough, with the short side facing you, roll the dough piece into a log, keeping the roll taut by tucking it under itself as you go. To seal the loaf, pinch the seam gently with your thumb and forefinger. Spray the loaf lightly with water or vegetable oil spray and then roll it in an even coating of oats. Place the loaf seam-side down in one of the prepared loaf pans, pressing the dough gently