Bread Recipe With A Starter

Use this Amish Friendship Bread Starter Recipe as a base for many sweet breads, dinner rolls, muffins and other baked goods. Hints for storing and using up the sourdough starter.

It’s one of those recipes that people seem to either love or hate. On one hand, you make a sweet sourdough that you have to keep dividing and using up, or passing out to your friends….or throw away. If you keep the starter going, it just…well…

Homemade

On the other hand, you make a sweet sourdough that is versatile and makes an amazing cinnamon quick bread. Quick bread that is so addicting that you can eat 6 loaves in a matter of 3 days.

Easy Sourdough Bread Recipe For Beginners

Whether you make it this bread weekly, haven’t seen it in years, or are completely new to Amish Friendship Bread, my goal is to convince you to at least give easy sourdough recipea try. I’m going to make it easy for you with hints! The recipe for the bread itself is coming soon, but first you need the starter.

You don’thave to feel like this is a never-ending recipe. Although it may seem that way, you can easily freeze the 1-cup sourdough portions at the end of the 10 days to make multiple recipes (that we’ll be sharing on our site soon!).

But this Amish cinnamon friendship bread? You’ll be wanting to make it. It’s the best in served warm with a slather of butter.

Easy Sourdough Bread Recipe With Starter (prozimi)

Although this sweet sourdough starter is very easy, you may have questions! Please comment below with your questions and I’ll update this articleto answer your questions as you have them.

**Calorie count shown above is for the friendship bread starter only and measures the calories in an entire cup. You use 1 cup of starter per two loaves of bread.

I'm Julie Clark, CEO and recipe developer of Tastes of Lizzy T. With my B.A. in Education and over 30 years of cooking and baking, I want to teach YOU the best of our family recipes.My first several attempts at learning how to start and use sourdough weren’t disastrous so much as they were uneventful and deflating. I had been so excited to use sourdough, and by the time I finally got a great starter, I really had no idea how to use it. My many attempts at making sourdough bread producedlumps of hardened, bitter cardboard that the rest of the family refused to eat, and I only ate them after loading them with butter and jam because I was convinced that there had to be SOME nutritional value left in them. Finally I found a site calledFig Jam and Lime Cordial, that explained the process very well. After reading it and following its steps I was able to make my first amazing sourdough loaf (that my entire family devoured-by the way) And I’ve been hooked ever since!

Simple Sourdough Starter (video)

If you don’t have a sourdough starter you can ask someone you know who has one to give you some of their’s (this is the quickest way to start because you can begin using it right away). You can also purchase one like this one

Simple

This post is a combination of what I’ve learned from that site as well as other things I’ve learned from friends and my own experience. Learning to use sourdough can be a bit of a process, but once you understand it, it’s SO simple! Now we make itat least2-3 timesa week.

To start, I’d like to share how I prep my sourdough starter before I use it, since that’s what finally opened my eyes on how it’s all suppose to work, and hopefully, if anyone else is a little unsure on what to do, this will help.

No Starter (starter Free) Amish Friendship Bread

(Tips: Always use glass or plastic bowls, jars, and utensils when storing and mixing your starter. Don’t use metal unless it’s stainless steel. Also, use filtered water when feeding it. The chlorine and other chemicals in tap water can cause problems with you starter. I like to keep my fridge starter in a wide-mouth canning jar.)

This is our refrigerator starter. His name is Reuben, and he is our main starter. Ifeed him once or twice a week depending on how much I use him. When you feed your starter you are giving it equal parts flour and water, so once or twice a week I’ll feed him 1/4 cup flour and 1/4 cup water and mix it in. If I use it more often and deplete most of what is in the jar then I’ll feed him in larger amounts, so maybe 1/2 cup or 1 full cup of both flour and water, and that gives me more starter to work with later. If you use up all the starter one day don’t fret, just feed it again and the remnants from the inside of the jar will continue to produce the sourdough-just DON’T wash out the jar until you’ve given it a chance to develop! You can however transfer your established starter to a clean jar so as to clean out the other jar.

Amish

You will notice that liquid often forms on top of the starter. This is called “Hooch” (I know it sounds funny, my husband thinks it sounds like a dirty word, but I promise that’s what it’s called). Some people like to drain this liquid off before they feed their starters because they say that by stirring it back in, it makes the starter more sour. I used to do this but found that the hydration of my starter would get way out of balance. Your starter should have the consistency of a muffin mix, but mine was getting the consistency of bread dough and it kept getting thicker every time I drained the hooch off the top. So instead, I started to stir it back in and just fed it again like normal, and I was eventually able to get my starter back to the proper consistency. I also didn’t notice a difference with it being too sour-it always tasted great with a very light flavor. If you notice that your starter seems too thick or too thin, just give it a few more feedings (closer together-maybe once a day or once every other day if you’re keeping it in the fridge), until you feel it’s back to the right consistency, then you can return to feeding it once or twice a week.

Sourdough Starter Discard Recipes

If a recipe calls for “unfed” starter, then you can just pull some of your starter out of the fridge and use that in your recipe (don’t forget to feed your fridge starter again!). Otherwise, you need to prep your starterbefore you use it. Don’t worry, it takes some time but it’s a simple process and well worth it!

To prep your starter, pull out 1/2 cup of starter from your jar in the fridge. Put that 1/2 cup in a plastic or glass bowl and feed it with 1/4 cup flour and 1/4 cup water (mix it in).

After you’ve mixed it in, cover it with a lid or plastic wrap and let it sit for 2-4 hours. It should start to bubble like in this third picture (if it doesn’t, don’t worry, just feed it again once or twice until it does.). You’ll want to feed it every 2-4 hours until it starts to bubble. Sometimes if your starter is really active it’ll be ready after 1-2 feedings. If it’s a bit more dormant, you may want to feed it every few hours for a full day to make sure it’s ready before you use it.

-

Sourdough Bread Starter Recipe

If I need more starter than usual I’ll feed it in larger amounts, so instead of 1/4 cup of flour and 1/4 cup of water, I might feed it 1/2 cup of flour and 1/2 cup of water, but keep in mind that it will take longer for your starter to eat through the extra flour and water. This is why if you’re leaving your active (or counter) starter longer without feeding it (overnight-for instance), you’d want to feed it more so that it has more to eat. At night I’ll feed my counter starter 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of flour instead of 1/4 cup.

Note: After making your bread recipe, you’ll notice that you have extra counter starter left. Many people will use this left over starter to make things like waffles, muffins, donuts, cakes, cookies, tortillas, pasta, pizza dough, etc. You can use up the rest of your counter starter by making other things like these or continue to feed your starter every day if you’re planning on using it again soon. Just be aware that you will start to get a lot of counter starter that you’ll need to use up, give away, or discard.

Now, some people do this and some don’t, but let me share a quick story about this from a friend who shared it with me. This friend was an avid bread baker and used sourdough often. Her fridge starter was great and she had named it Sally. Her counter starter was struggling however. It

Sourdough Starter Recipe For Friendship Bread