Vegan Gluten Free Sprouted Bread Recipe

This is the best homemade bread that’s completely vegan and made with sprouted flour! Plus, it’s so easy to do on a Sunday morning!

If you’ve ever made homemade bread before and failed, fear not because I now have THE BEST homemade bread you will ever taste! Yes, I’m that sure of it!

Sprouted

Now that’s quite a title to claim. Let me explain why I think this sprouted homemade bread is truly the best (and hint: it’s vegan too!).

Vegan Gluten Free Sourdough Sandwich Bread • Cultured Guru

So my bread journey actually began not too long ago, and let me tell you: there were many failed attempts. I wouldn’t wait for the yeast to actually prove (I think that’s the right bread terminology…I’m kinda new here!) or I wouldn’t give the bread enough time to rise…there are many ways that I easily failed at making the best homemade bread before. The steps are so key here!

To me, this vegan homemade bread reminds me of the bread my host mom would serve when I lived in Florence. It’s not quite salty, but just enough to give it flavor.

It’s also quite doughy, sort of like the brown bread baguette slices you would get from Panera (oh my goodness, did I LOVE that in high school! Tbt! Except if you’re not reading this on a Thursday! Lol. Okay I’m really dating myself here, I’m not that millennial, I swear!).

Lime Infused Mung Bean Bread, Vegan & Grain Free!

But I swear, the doughiness makes for the best homemade bread in my opinion. I think it has something to do with the flour being sprouted (oh, I haven’t mentioned that part yet! Yes, this is sprouted bread!) so it acts a little differently than un-sprouted wheat bread.

Sprouted Wheat Flour: now, sprouted flour acts a little differently than regular wheat flour. I’m guessing this is because by sprouting it, you’re actually reducing the gluten sensitivity, and since yeast needs gluten (and sugar) in order to react, you don’t need to punch the bread down after it’s risen (I’ll get to that later). But I like using sprouted flour, I really enjoy the taste of it! Definitely different than wheat flour, but if all you have is regular flour, you’ll still have the best homemade bread 😉 Trust me!

Warm Water: you definitely want to make sure the water here is warm and not scalding hot- if it’s hotter than 107F, then it will most likely kill the yeast before it has time to properly activate and help the bread rise. Then you won’t exactly get bread, but more of a doughy focaccia haha! Still good, I imagine, but we’re going for the best homemade BREAD here! Let’s do focaccia another time!

Finally! Delicious Sprouted Gluten Free Egg Free Bread! Recipe

Activated Yeast: make sure that you have activated yeast and not instant yeast! There is a difference! I have not tried this vegan homemade bread with instant yeast, so I cannot vouch for any results. Activated yeast obviously does take more time than instant yeast, but trust me, it’s worth the wait!

Sea Salt: you won’t be using as much sea salt in here as a regular bread, but just enough to give it a good flavor! I think that’s why it tastes so much like Florentine bread to me. Centuries ago, there was a salt shortage in Florence, Italy because it was too expensive, and so the Florentines decided to make their bread without salt. When salt became affordable again, they still decided not to add it because they had become known for their salt-less bread! It won’t taste as salt-free as Florentine bread, but I think less salt actually tastes good! If you like your sprouted bread on the salty side, feel free to add more- this is all up to taste!

Maple Syrup: now, what’s not up to taste is using maple syrup. You do need some sort of sugar in here (I know, my sugar haters are not going to like to hear this, but sugar is nothing to fear! Want to know why? Because all carbohydrates are made up of the same molecules: just a differing ratio of oxygen, carbon, and hydrogen. SO then what do we have to fear? This really helped me get over my fear and demonization of sugar!). Yeast needs sugar in order to kickstart the activation process. Skip the sugar part, and your bread won’t rise! I used to hate on companies that added sugar to their bread thinking why do we need to sweeten savory items?! But it wasn’t because they just like to use a lot of sugar. It’s actually for the chemical reaction needed to get your bread to rise!

The

Dietary Needs Finder

That’s it, folks! Only five ingredients! How easy is that? And the maple syrup I think really does help to make this the best homemade bread. Something about maple syrup, I don’t know man…it really works!

You’ll start by combining some warm water, maple syrup, and yeast in a large bowl. Please please give it time to activate- about 10 minutes!

Then we knead. Kneading is key here! I’ve read from a few people that it’s good to knead about 75-100 times. So that works out to about 15 minutes or so. Not bad!

Gluten Free Buckwheat Millet Bread

Next, we let the bread rise in a greased bowl so that the dough doesn’t stick to the sides of the bowl! Let the bread rise for about 4 hours- because it’s sprouted and it’s wheat (I actually learned this tip from one of my readers on Instagram!), it actually needs more time to rise. So if you have more than 4 hours, please give this vegan homemade bread the amount of time it needs! However, 4 hours is the bare minimum. So don’t skip!

Once it has risen, we place it in a parchment lined loaf pan and let it bake for about 35-45 minutes, depending on your oven. You can check the doneness by how hard the crust on top is. If you’re still unsure, cut into the side on the end to see if it’s still doughy.

-

Now for how to eat this bread 🙂 My personal preference is one of these toast options! I just love my homemade vegan Nutella on top or with a little bit of hummus and avocado!

Flourless Sprouted Whole Wheat Bread

Now, if you’re wondering how I find time to make this bread when I have a packed schedule, it’s easy 🙂 All about planning! You can find out more by downloading my FREE meal prep guide below! Cannot wait to see your toast creations with the best homemade bread!

Just one more shot of this toast for the win! Which one is your favorite? I honestly just loved the almond butter and banana one, but also the Nutella one because who doesn’t love Nutella?! I’m a sweets person, if you couldn’t tell haha!This Vegan Sprouted Wheat Bread Recipe makes a great sandwich bread. It has sprouted wheat and Sprouted Millet for a nutty flavor. Dairy-free

Finally getting around to posting a bread. There was a year when 80% of the recipes were bread or bread related on the blog :). Things have changed since then and hopefully will continue to evolve.

The Best Vegan Gluten Free Zucchini Bread

There are very few times that I buy bread from the store. I love a balanced bread with a decent amount of whole grain, seeds and other things, but I also do not want it to taste like cardboard or have random ingredients in it. Most breads from the stores are just that, either they are white, soft, tasty and pretty much no whole grain or they are full of grains and many many grains, usually whole or broken grains, that can break my teeth with every bite. Most also do not taste that good. I don’t know what is the problem with the breads tasting like that. What can you do wrong with wheat flour, a little white flour to keep it airy, and some whole grains. I make them all the time. Go figure.

Vegan

This bread has sprouted wheat and sprouted millet which is blended up and added to the dough. It bakes up perfectly soft and airy with a hint of nuttyness from the millet. You can use other sprouted grains like Spelt, Barley, Rye, Sorghum or even sprouted beans. The key to keeping the breads soft, add a fruit/veggie puree or some non dairy yogurt or full fat coconut milk. Add flavors to either make them slightly sweet or savory with herbs if you prefer. Make some PBJ sammies with this bread!

I usually crave something savory and light in the evening and a good wrap or a sandwich works out well for me. My current favorite sandwich is a hummus Sriracha sandwich sometimes with vegan cheese slices and with my whole grain or multi grain bread slices. Easy, savory, spicy and delicious.

Sprouted Buckwheat Bread Without Yeast

Sprouted wheat. I sprouted the wheat and millet together. This picture is from a different time when I sprouted wheat for a longer sprout.

Sprouted grains in this loaf. Why sprout? Sprouting makes the whole grains much more digestible. Adding a bit of sprouts here and there to a meal bowl or a bread adds more whole grains to the daily diet.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ If

Sprouted

The Best Homemade Bread {vegan, Sprouted}