Naan Bread Recipe Using Fresh Yeast

Naan is one of the simplest bread recipes you could make. There is no kneading, which allows the dough to come together very quickly, and after a short rise, you simply divide, roll, and griddle. The dough is so soft and tender thanks to yogurt, and a brush of melted butter out of the skillet makes them completely irresistible!

My friend Deb messaged me last week with a few questions about making naan. I hadn’t made it in ages, and having recently revisited and loved making homemade tortillas, I felt up for a little project.

Naan

As you might imagine, if you search the internet for “naan”, you will find all sorts of recipes, nearly all of which include yogurt, some of which include oil, and others that include eggs.

Easy Naan Bread Recipe (yeast Free)

Though I knew in my heart I would likely go with a yeast-only naan, I felt the need to explore a little bit. Would there be any reason to include a chemical leaven (baking soda or powder) with yeast? Any reason to use all three leavening agents? Any reason to forgo yeast altogether?

Before I share my results, shall we quickly review the difference between baking soda and baking powder? This is something I will never ever commit to memory, but I enjoyed the recent refresher. This Bob’s Red Mill article was particularly helpful and interesting.

Friends, making naan is SO much fun. The dough takes no time to whisk together, rises relatively quickly (just over an hour), and each naan cooks for a minute and 30 seconds stovetop.

No Yeast Naan Bread Recipe

I would be happy eating naan and naan alone — sprinkled with sea salt it is irresistible — but it is an especially nice accompaniment to many a stewy dish, namely lentils and curries. Here are a few ideas:

Here’s the play-by-play: Combine 2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon instant yeast, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt in a large bowl. As always, a digital scale is best for measuring. (Weight measurements included in the recipe)

Pour the liquid into the dry ingredients, and stir with a spatula to form a ball. You’ll likely need to knead with your hands for about a minute to get the dough to come together (see video for guidance.)

Naan Bread (the Best Recipe!)

Cover the bowl and let it rise in a warm spot for about an hour and 15 minutes, or until the dough looks slightly puffed.

Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat till it’s very, very hot. Place one round in, cover, and cook for 1 minute. Uncover, flip, and cook for 30 seconds.This easy homemade Naan Bread Recipe is perfectly soft, chewy, and pillowy, just like you get at your favorite Indian restaurant. No electric mixer required – just your hands, a bowl, and cast iron skillet. So delicious and completely irresistible!

Fresh homemade flatbread right off the griddle and slathered in garlic butter has got to be one of life’s best things. Or at least it is for me! My sister and I used to dine at a local Indian restaurant just for their naan, eating our weight in it, barely having room for anything else. I make naan bread at home now pretty regularly since it’s so easy and my kids absolutely love it, too.

How To Make Naan Recipe

Naan is a traditional Indian flatbread, which is soft and pillowy, full of neat little air pockets. Authentic naan is baked in a blazing-hot Tandoor clay oven, but you can get great results simply by using a hot cast iron skillet.

These are both classic Indian flatbreads, but their origins, ingredients, and cooking methods are different. Pita bread is from the Middle East and just includes flour, salt, yeast, and olive oil and forms one huge air pocket. Naan hails from India and includes yogurt and egg in the dough, which causes several little bubbles to form, making it nice and fluffy.

As mentioned above, traditional naan bread is made in a tandoor/clay oven. Not many people have one of those, though! Luckily, it’s super easy to make this flatbread recipe in a cast iron skillet (or on a griddle) while maintaining all the authentic ingredients. Here are some tips to get as close to the real deal as possible:

Homemade Garlic Naan Bread (indian Flatbread)

I hope you love this delicious and easy recipe – be sure to give it a review below! Also don’t forget to follow Belly Full on

Naan

This easy homemade Naan Bread recipe is perfectly soft, chewy, and pillowy, just like you get at your favorite Indian restaurant. No electric mixer required – just your hands, a bowl, and cast iron skillet. So delicious and completely irresistible!

Calories: 235 kcal | Carbohydrates: 32 g | Protein: 6 g | Fat: 9 g | Saturated Fat: 3 g | Trans Fat: 1 g | Cholesterol: 32 mg | Sodium: 185 mg | Potassium: 75 mg | Fiber: 1 g | Sugar: 1 g | Vitamin A: 131 IU | Vitamin C: 1 mg | Calcium: 22 mg | Iron: 2 mg

Stove Top Naans

Nutritional information given is an automatic calculation and can vary based on the exact products you use and any changes you make to the recipe. If these numbers are very important to you, I would recommend calculating them yourself.

Subscribe for free to receive new weekly recipes and instantly get a week’s worth of family meals that are quick, easy, and inexpensive to make!So many naan recipes are nothing more than a basic flatbread recipe. But this one? Fluffy, bubbly and CHEWY, just like you get at Indian restaurants. It’s so incredible, you’d swear it’s just been pulled from a tandoor! Bonus: It’s mind-bogglingly easy.

, bubbly naan has eluded me for years. Every other recipe I tried – and believe me, I’ve tried so many I’ve lost count – are just basic flatbread recipes with no real crumb integrity and absolutely none of the signature

Naan Recipe No Yeast (with Yogurt)

It’s difficult to capture how chewy and fluffy this naan bread is in a photo – so let me try to show you instead with some live action:

Yerrrrrssss. And the most incredible thing? Naan dough is so easy to make. There is no kneading involved. Really. There is nothing tricky about it at all!

Naan

Here’s what you need to make the puffiest, fluffiest, bubbliest naan of your life. No fiercely hot tandoor required (unless that’s how you roll … )

Homemade Garlic Naan

“No yoghurt?” I used to be an advocate of yoghurt in naan bread, believing it to be the “secret ingredient” that made naan different from “just another flatbread”.

But actually, yogurt weighs the naan down and makes it a bit gummier inside. Added yoghurt is no challenge for the nuclear-level 480°C heat of a tandoor … but in a home kitchen, the naan is better without yogurt. It’s just fluffier!

This section may look lengthy, but I promise this naan recipe is not hard. I’m just breaking down the steps for you and showing thorough process photos so you can have

Easy Naan Bread (from Scratch Recipe)

My dough went further than double in size, probably triple, because it was a very hot day when I made this! It’s still ok if it rises this much.

I’m going to be honest, I’ve no idea whether you can even find Cheese Naan in India (please chime in, in the comments!). But it’s a firm favourite around my neck of the wood. Certainly this Cheese-loving Carb Monster considers Cheese Naan one of the great achievements of modern mankind.

In restaurants, cheese naan is usually made by cooking plain naan first, then cutting a slit and stuffing inside the naan with cheese to melt.

Homemade

Homemade Naan Recipe Without Yeast

That’s quite tedious and involves burnt fingertip agony I’m yet to fall in love with, so I’ve opted for a much simpler method:

Here’s what the inside of the cheese naan looks like – in case you’re wondering if I used enough cheese 😂 Be still my beating heart … ( excitement or cholesterol sirens? I can’t quite distinguish 🤔)

It was handy to discover that the naan recipe can be made ahead, refrigerated overnight and cooked up the next day – and it’s 100% perfect. It’s just as fluffy and soft. With the added bonus of even better flavour in the bread because as with many yeast breads, flavour develops with time!

The Best Buttery Garlic Naan Bread Recipe

I feel like I’m stating the obvious here by saying that the most natural, most obvious way to use naan is to scoop and slop up curries – Butter Chicken, Rogan Josh, Dal, Tikka Masala, to name a few!

Also think uses as a wrap: Stuff them, say, with Tandoori Chicken or Chicken Tikka (use the Chicken Tikka part of Tikka Marsala), along with some fresh Indian Tomato Salad with Mint Sauce for a complete meal in a wrap.

But then I realised: I’ve been devouring an inordinate amount of naan just as it is. Straight out of the skillet, with and without butter, cold, warm, reheated – and loving it like it is.

Soft Naan Bread

The lesson? Naan this good you can have it every which way. It’s 100% incredible. Make it once and I guarantee you’ll be addicted for life! – Nagi x

Homemade

Just to recap, it’s Indian Week here at RecipeTin Eats! A week when I’m sharing 4 brand new recipes to