Country Bread Recipe Without Yeast

There is nothing like the smell of warm homemade bread that has just come out of the oven. It has a happy, cozy feeling attached to it. Which I think we could all use more of.

Traditional homemade bread uses yeast but if you don’t have it or the stores are all sold out, don’t fear! This delicious yeast-free bread is made using baking powder!

Country

This bread is more like a crusty country bread than a light and fluffy sandwich bread. Of course, you can and absolutely should make sandwiches with it! And toast slathered in butter (oh my, so good.)

Homemade Soft Country Bread

Make sure your baking powder is still active! To test it, add a teaspoon of baking powder to a bowl, then pour 1/2 cup of very hot water over it. If it bubbles heavily, the baking powder is good to go! If not, open a new can of baking powder or make a DIY version if you’re in a pinch!

The best part of this bread is how easy it is to make! With no yeast, there is no need to let the bread rise, and there is very little kneading necessary.

If you’d like to prep a few loaves ahead of time, you can freeze this bread dough for up to 3 months. Form into a disc, then wrap the dough in plastic wrap and place in an airtight freezer bag or container.

Dutch Oven No Knead Bread (with Perfect Crusty Crust!)

Because homemade bread does not contain preservatives, it won’t last very long if left on the counter at room temperature. I typically only leave my bread out for a day. After that, store in the fridge or freezer.

Note that the bread won’t be very crusty after the first day. You can stick the loaf back in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 10 minutes to get that crusty top back.

Calories: 137 kcal Carbohydrates: 27 g Protein: 4 g Fat: 1 g Saturated Fat: 1 g Sodium: 210 mg Potassium: 179 mg Fiber: 1 g Sugar: 1 g Vitamin A: 116 IU Vitamin C: 2 mg Calcium: 90 mg Iron: 2 mgThis is not a post for people who have never made sourdough bread before. If that’s you, and you’re interested in learning to make sourdough bread, I recommend Tartine Bread, which is the book that really got me started on my sourdough adventure. Indeed, the method and instructions described below are based on the Basic Country Loaf recipe in Tartine Bread. (I created my starter using the instructions on the King Arthur Flour website, which is also a great resource if you’re new to sourdough baking.) If you already have some familiarity with sourdough baking, though, you at some point have probably wondered what to do with your excess starter–the starter that is “discarded” with each feeding. If you work outside your home, perhaps you’ve also wondered if there is a way to bake sourdough bread during the work week. Those two dilemmas–the inevitable accumulation of discard starter and the quest to find a way to bake sourdough during the week–inspired me to experiment a bit. Ultimately, I discovered that if I dramatically reduced the inoculation percentage (i.e., the amount of starter), and dramatically extended the bulk fermentation time, I could make delicious bread using only discard starter for leavening. And, because fermentation is slower with this method, I could allow the dough to rise while I was at work, and thus make bread during the week.

Pure Levain Country Bread

The method below can basically be reduced to three changes to the Tartine recipe: (1) replace the leaven with a much smaller percentage of discard starter, (2) use fridge-cold water in the dough, and (3) after 2-3 stretch-and-folds, allow the dough to finish its bulk rise undisturbed for 10 hours or more.

There are a couple of reasons for reducing the inoculation percentage: First, discard sourdough starter is seriously sour. To keep the bread from being overly sour, you need to use a smaller amount of discard than you would of levain–I never go above 10% inoculation when I’m making a discard loaf. Second, a smaller inoculation percentage means that it will take longer for the dough to rise. Often, people have the opposite goal–they want the dough to rise faster. Here, though, the slower rise is your friend, because it means that you can leave the dough at home, undisturbed all day while you are at work.

The reason for this change is simple — it’s just another way to slow down the bulk fermentation. I use bottled spring water straight from the fridge. (I use bottled water because the tap water where I live is heavily chlorinated. You may be able to use tap water where you live.)

No Fail Amish White Bread

This change naturally follows from the previous two adjustments. I want to slow the dough’s rise because I can’t come home in the middle of the day to shape my loaves if the bulk fermentation is done in 4-6 hours. For me, 10-12 hours (from the time I transfer the dough to a clear container for the bulk rise) is what I’m going for.

Admittedly, I have not yet reduced my method to a science. Sometimes the dough rises less than I expect, sometimes more. I suspect this results from changes in room temperature, and/or from my discard starter having been “refreshed” more or less recently. I’ve also found that the greater the quantity of dough I am making, the longer the bulk fermentation takes. This is likely because it takes the larger amount of dough longer to warm to room temperature.

Sourdough

That all said, I’ve also discovered that there’s a lot of flexibility in how long I can push the bulk fermentation. For example, while Tartine Bread indicates that you should look for a 30% increase in volume, I’ve made some perfectly nice loaves with dough that had more than doubled in volume by the time I got home from work. Generally, I’ve found that I have good results with a volume increase anywhere from 60% to 90%. I suspect that I’m able to get away with such a large increase in volume during the long bulk rise because the discard starter is not super active.

The Fluffiest Gluten Free Bread Recipe (no Yeast!)

These thoughts are meant to be a rough guide, and to inspire you to experiment on your own. If you have additional insights about baking with discard starter, or extending the bulk rise, please do share them! One of the many things I love about sourdough baking is that it is a constant learning process, and I enjoy every new discovery.The recipe combines whole wheat flour with bread flour for a delicious loaf that you will enjoy in a wide variety of ways.

The dough is mixed, bulk fermented over 5-6 hours at room temperature, shaped and kept in the fridge for a long cold ferment before baking.

This process allows the dough to develop amazing sourdough flavors as well as a bread that has a beautiful even and open crumb.

Classic White Miche Bread (country Bread)

Now that we've had an overview of the steps you will take to put your sourdough country loaf together, let's discuss some of them in more detail.

It's important to note that I test all my recipes with King Arthur brand flour. When recipe testing it allows for consistent results to help you bake better bread!

-

Every brand of flour varies in its protein content, which can cause recipes to turn out differently than what you are expecting.

Homemade Rustic No Yeast Bread Recipe

Use the scoop and level technique to measure your flour if you do not have a kitchen scale. To do this, use a spoon to fluff up the flour in the bag. Use a spoon to scoop the flour into a measuring cup until it is heaped on top. Take a butterknife and level off the top. This should give you the most accurate measurement for flour.

Because flour is measured by weight in these recipes, if the flour is scooped straight out of the bag with the measuring cup, there will be more flour than is called for in the recipe.

Feed your starter anywhere from 6 to 12 hours prior to mixing the dough depending on its maturity and the temperature of your kitchen.

Sourdough Country No Yeast Bread From International Natural Bakery

Autolyse is a resting period of one hour that gives the flour a chance to absorb the water before adding any salt, making the dough easier to work with.

Tip - This phase can last longer than one hour if needed to fit your schedule. If this is the case, do not add the sourdough starter until the salt is added in the next step, in order to prevent over-fermentation.

-

The most important thing to remember is to be gentle with your dough during this step. Do not stretch the dough further that it allows naturally.

Better No Knead Bread Recipe

While the dough is in the bowl, wet your hand to prevent the dough from sticking and gently pull one side of the dough up and over itself.

After you have finished 3 sets, 30 minutes apart, cover the dough and allow to ferment at room temperature for 1-3 more hours.

The dough will rise by about 20-30% and form bubbles around the sides of

Cheddar Jalapeno Country Loaf