Onion Kulcha Indian Bread Recipe

Kulcha is yet another popular bread from northern parts of India. This bread is similar to “naan” which is of course more popular in the western world. The difference between kulcha and naan is that kulcha is leavened with baking powder and soda whereas yeast is used in making naan. Also naans traditionally have an oval, like a tear-drop shape while kulchas are round. Both are made using all purpose flour and both can be stuffed with almost anything that you can think of!

During our visit to India this time, we went to Amritsar in Punjab. For those who do not know, Amritsar is famous for it’s kulcha and chole (chickpeas). In fact all over India you will find food stalls selling “kulchas from Amritsar”, they are that popular. However one strange thing that I noticed was that the kulchas in Amritsar were actually very different from my interpretation. Living in Delhi, we always ate these soft “Amritsari kulchas” but I actually ate very crispy and flaky kulchas in Amritsar and my friends who belongs to the city told me that this is actually how the REAL kulchas from Amritsar are supposed to be. Very interesting I thought! I will definitely give these flaky stuffed kulchas a try one day, for now this is the basic kulcha that we all grew up eating. The only difference? this is a healthier version! The texture might not be exactly like the one you ate in restaurants since it’s whole wheat but it’s soft, delicious and healthy!

Onion

This is not 100% whole wheat but out of the 1.5 cups of flour that is used in the recipe, 1.25 cups is whole wheat and only 0.25 cups is all purpose flour, so more than 80% of it is whole wheat which in my opinion is pretty healthy compared to the kulchas you get in restaurants.

Indian Bread: Onion Kulcha Recipe

To make these onion kulchas, you first prepare the dough my mixing together flour, sugar, yogurt, salt, baking soda, baking powder and oil. You then let the dough rest for 2-3 hours. While the dough is resting you can make the filling, I added minimal spices but you can go ahead and add whatever spices you like. You then roll them round like parathas, stuff them and cook them on a heated tawa/skillet. They are supposed to be made in tandoor, that’s how they are made in restaurants but since most of us don’t have tandoors at home, a pan or an oven is our next best option.

I do think I made them slightly thinner than they should have been. I should have made 4 kulchas out of this dough rather than 5!

Slowly start adding warm milk and knead to form a smooth and soft dough. Apply some oil on the dough from all sides, cover and keep in a warm place for 2 hours.

Kulcha Shock: How To Make Indian Pizza

Add cumin seeds, ajwain seeds (carom seeds), red chilli powder, salt and anardana powder (pomegranate seeds powder) and mix till well combined.

Heat a tawa or a skillet on medium heat. When the tawa is hot place the rolled kulcha on top. With in a minute you will bubbles popping up on the surface, flip the kulcha and cook from the other side.

Flip again and cook. You have to cook till kulcha has brown spots all over on both sides and looks well cooked.

Brilliant Gluten Free Naan Recipe

* The kulchas can me also made in the oven. Set the setting of your oven to broiler and than place the rolled kulcha inside the oven. Cook till you have these brown spots on one side, 2-3 minutes and then flip to cook the other side as well.

* You can make this recipe using 100% whole wheat flour, I added a small amount of  all purpose flour to make the kulchas a little lighter.

* Like I mentioned before, don’t roll the kulchas too thin or too thick. I do think I rolled them a little on the thinner side.

Wheat Kulcha Recipe (yeast And Without Yeast Recipe)

Calories: 198 kcal , Carbohydrates: 31 g , Protein: 6 g , Fat: 6 g , Saturated Fat: 1 g , Cholesterol: 3 mg , Sodium: 373 mg , Potassium: 243 mg , Fiber: 3 g , Sugar: 3 g , Vitamin A: 80 IU , Vitamin C: 3.9 mg , Calcium: 75 mg , Iron: 1.7 mg

Your feedback is valuable! Please share your comments, ratings, and any suggestions or adaptations below to help us improve and make our recipes more successful.

Onion

Bringing you easy, delicious vegetarian & vegan recipes! Eating veggies can be fun, you just need to get creative in the kitchen with the right set of ingredients!Onion kulcha are a soft, pillowy, leavened white flour bread typically cooked in a tandoor, with a mouthwatering onion-masala mix layered on top. Sometimes they are stuffed with the onion mixture, but the most common ones I grew up with at restaurants put the onion on the outside as I have made them here.

Onion Kulcha Recipe

It is really easy to make these at home. To get results similar to what you would get from a tandoor, you can make it either on the stovetop or in the broiler. Making onion kulcha is the same as making plain kulcha, but with the added step in the middle of mixing the onion-masala mixture and adding it to the top of your rolled out kulcha.

Many people make kulcha with a mixture of baking soda and baking powder. I personally prefer the yeast version. Take a look at the video on plain kulcha if you would like to see a demonstration of both versions.

Much like naan, kulcha is mainly a restaurant food that people don’t commonly cook at home. Unleavened flatbreads like roti and paratha are much more common, everyday breads.

Garlic Cheese Kulcha

If you make yourself a pile of onion kulcha, you may find it hard to resists munching down on them on their own. Served warm with a little butter, they are so irresistible.

Yogurt – Gives it a softness and a nice tang. You can use milk and add a little squeeze of lemon to add back the tang. I would definitely do this if using baking soda to activate the soda.

-

Nigella seeds – I always think of nigella seeds when I think of kulcha, but they are optional, and you can sub in cumin or coarsely ground coriander seeds if you like.

Discover Desi Deli: Your Ultimate Source For True Authenticity And Savor The Convenience

You have to add water and push the onion into the kulcha. Or else when you flip it while frying it can fall off. Less of a risk for oven but you still don’t want it falling off easily.

A lot of people like to reheat kulcha with butter. I recommend reheating with ghee or oil then adding some butter at the end. That way you do not get a burned butter taste.

Kulcha freeze well and will last up to 5 months in your freezer. To keep them separate, either place layers of parchment paper between the kulcha, or freeze them separately first, then wrapping them up together once they are frozen.

Sourdough Onion Kulcha Recipe

Onion kulcha are a soft, pillowy, leavened white flour bread typically cooked in a tandoor, with a mouthwatering onion-masala mix layered on top.

Calories: 313 kcal Carbohydrates: 42 g Protein: 7 g Fat: 13 g Saturated Fat: 8 g Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g Monounsaturated Fat: 4 g Cholesterol: 31 mg Sodium: 503 mg Potassium: 126 mg Fiber: 3 g Sugar: 2 g Vitamin A: 12 IU Vitamin C: 3 mg Calcium: 27 mg Iron: 2 mgOnion kulcha recipe over stove top, an easy variation. Learn how to make a perfect one with tips and tricks. Full video, step by step photos.

Onion

As I mentioned in my last post, I tried onion kulcha too. But could not finish shooting the video as well as photos. So I thought I will save it for some other time. However, after finishing some videos for Instant pot, I could not decide in what to post next . As a result, the half shot videos helped me today. I made Aloo gobi gravy and onion kulcha for lunch as Aj is in his holidays.

Aloo Kulcha Recipe (spiced Potato Stuffed Indian Flat Bread) By Archana's Kitchen

Without doubt, he enjoyed the lunch as he too loves North Indian for lunch. When I tried onion kulcha last time, in-spite of how fine I chopped, I could not roll it thin and properly. Especially, it was not the same as we tasted in the restaurant. In fact Aj told, it was like rava dosa flavour. What I noticed in the restaurant was it was white without any addition in it. No coriander, not kalonji seeds or chilli. Just a very little onion.

For that reason, I wanted to try with yellow onion/ white onion and did the same. Also I made sure I did not over stuff the kulcha with lots of onion. Just 1 tablespoon per kulcha was perfect. In addition, I want to try a dash of onion powder as I felt it will give a deep flavor to the kulcha without over stuffing the onion. Equally important, I used a food processor to finely chop onion.

I have shared both ways, as we had in restaurant

Annapurna: Amritsari Aloo Kulcha / Potato Stuffed Indian Flat Bread