Vegan Butternut Squash Bread Recipe

This is one of those recipes that I’ve had in my mind for several years but haven’t actually brought it to fruition until just recently. I really wasn’t sure how well this would actually work out but the fact that I’m here, sharing it with you, means that it was AMAZING!

In case you haven’t already heard me mention it 100 times, I grew butternut squash for the first this summer and honestly, I had NO idea how many squashes I would end up with from 2 butternut squash plants. I would say those 2 plants produced roughly 40 butternut squash (but maybe more??) and I’ve had to find new ways to eat it besides just roasting it (not that that’s not DELICIOSO!).

Brown

As you’ll see from the photos, I made the executive decision to NOT overly puree the butternut squash. The bread ended up with small little bites of squash in them and I LOVE IT! This is optional of course. If you want a more traditional squash bread bread, simply puree the butternut squash until it is creamy and SMOOTH.

Vegan Butternut Squash Soup

The other great thing about this bread (aside from it being SUPER TASTY!) is that it’s ridiculously easy to make. The whole thing can be thrown together in one big ole’ bowl.

Now that Autumn is in full swing, I hope you’re prepared for a ridiculous amount of pumpkin, squash, and SOUPS! I also have lots of recipe ideas for using up the 20 something butternut squash that are currently chilling on a table in our backyard. If you lived closer, rest assured that I would be pawning off a few squash on you :)

To make your own butternut squash puree, cut the squash in half and simply roast it in the oven at 400 degrees for 40-50 minutes or until a fork can be easily pierced into the skin. Let cool slightly and then blend up the flesh in a food processor until fully creamy and smooth. I left some small chunks in mine but this is optional.I’ve just returned from a trip to Florida and realized it’s already time to start giving you guys some recipes for fall! Even though Arizona doesn’t cool down until October, it’s beginning to look a lot like fall for the rest of you.  My favorite time of year.  This Brown Sugar Butternut Squash Bread was an experiment of sorts, but can I just tell you…my house smells A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.

Butternut Squash Bread {recipe}

This bread is not unlike a pumpkin bread, but instead of pumpkin, I used roasted butternut squash that I seasoned with my homemade pumpkin pie spice blend.  I added a pinch of black pepper for added spice and of course, brown sugar.  Applesauce is our egg-replacer in this recipe and also adds moisture.

The first step is made easier by a good vegetable peeler.  I’ve mentioned this one before, but a good vegetable peeler not only eases peeling oddly shaped produce, but also reduces waste.  I found mine on Amazon and I absolutely love it.   Cut off both ends of the butternut squash and peel until you get to the darker orange color.  I then halve the squash and remove the seeds.

Cut into cubes and sprinkle with the seasoning mixture.  I tossed with 1 teaspoon of oil and baked at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes.  I then added a few tablespoons of water to the pan, tossed and baked until they were just fork-tender.  The squash is cooled for a few minutes and transferred to the mixing bowl.  Beat until you get a smooth puree and add the remaining ingredients.  Spoon into desired loaf pan(s) and bake at 325 degrees until a toothpick inserted comes clean.

Classic Vegan Pumpkin Bread

This recipe makes 1 standard loaf or 6 mini loaves as I’ve done here today.  If you’ve followed me for awhile, you know I am obsessed with this Wilton pan (found on Amazon).  I wrap the individual loaves in foil and freeze.

These cakes are very moist, so cool for only about 10-15 minutes in the pan and immediately remove to finish cooling on a rack.

These were  difficult to resist biting into when warm.  I don’t know why, but I prefer to refrigerate my breads.  I like them cold with a dab of vegan margarine.  Soooo good!

Butternut Squash Bread

Before you go, why not check out some of our recent videos and be sure to subscribe to the YouTube Channel! 🙂Got left over butternut squash but have no idea what to do with it? Try this easy maple coconut vegan butternut squash bread.

As someone born and bred in Trinidad, where there are really only two seasons – rainy and dry, I missed out on the joys of fall for most of my life.

Bowl

We have no need for layers or boots and our food doesn’t really change with the seasons. So intrinsically ‘fall’ things like pumpkin, squash, gingerbread and the like weren’t really on my radar till I moved to Canada.

Easy Vegan Pumpkin Bread

And even then, I didn’t really get all the hype till I started cooking and baking for myself. But now that I have, fall foods have become some of my favourites and I can’t stop myself from experimenting with them.

I’m a huge fan of banana bread and I recently tried a pumpkin loaf that rocked my world. So I decided to try my hand at making butternut squash bread with the squash I had leftover from last week’s soup. And boy am I glad I did.

Unlike the banana and pumpkin breads, this butternut squash bread has an almost cake-like consistency that I can’t get enough of. Add in the pumpkin pie spice and the maple coconut drizzle and you’ve got a combo that’s to die for. Bonus points cuz there’s no added refined sugars and you can throw this loaf together in just one bowl.

Butternut Squash Hash With Tofu And Brussels Sprouts

If you make this butternut squash bread, I’d love to hear what you think. Leave a comment and rate the recipe or take a pic and tag me @ on Instagram.

This maple-coconut butternut squash bread is flavourful and cakey, with no added refined sugars and an easy 3 ingredient maple coconut butter drizzle.

-

*If you don't have spelt flour you can use 1½ cups white or all purpose flour or 1¼ cups whole wheat flour. Check out my flour substitutions post for more options.This is seriously the best vegan pumpkin bread you’ll ever eat! It’s perfectly spiced, moist and easy to make in 1 bowl. Better than Starbucks, this will become one of your favorite Fall recipes!

Butternut Squash Bread Recipe (no Sugar, Paleo)

This is one of those recipes that took me quite a few tries to get it just right. Even once I did, I tested again to make absolutely sure! Yep, this is the best pumpkin bread ever. And better yet, it’s vegan!

No one would ever guess this pumpkin bread is vegan. It’s so moist, fluffy, sweet and perfectly spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. The bread slices beautifully once cooled, and it tastes better than the popular Starbucks pumpkin bread. I’m not kidding on that one, I had several people tell me it was better than Starbucks when they ate it!

Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F and greasing a standard loaf pan. Then, in a small bowl combine a tablespoon of ground flaxseeds with 2.5 tablespoons water. Set aside to thicken.

Vegan Stuffed Butternut Squash Recipe

In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, brown sugar, canola oil, flax egg and soy milk until well combined and smooth. Now add the flour, then sprinkle the baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves on top of the flour. Mix gently until just combined, being careful not to over mix.

Pour into the prepared loaf pan, sprinkle with pepitas and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the loaf cool for a few minutes in the pan, then carefully transfer the loaf to a cooling rack.

Vegan

The loaf will slice best when it’s given some time to cool, at least 30 minutes. But it will still taste good if you must eat a slice immediately!

Easy Butternut Squash Bread Recipe

I love this bread as is, topped with pepitas, but you can also get creative! Try adding chocolate chips, currants, raisins, cranberries, chopped walnuts, pecans or even some grated coconut.

Yes, this bread like most quick breads freezes very well. To freeze, cool completely first. Then, wrap it in plastic wrap, then wrap tightly in foil and freeze. You can also freeze slices of it, wrapped well and placed in a large freezer bag. Make sure to label it so you don’t forgot what it is!

This is seriously the best vegan pumpkin bread you'll ever eat! It's perfectly spiced, moist and easy to make in 1 bowl. Better than Starbucks, this will become one of your favorite Fall recipes!

Ultra Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Soup

Serving: 1 serving | Calories: 323 kcal | Carbohydrates: 48 g | Protein: 4 g | Fat: 14 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Sodium: 240 mg | Potassium: 208 mg | Fiber: 2 g | Sugar: 28 g | Vitamin A: 6641 IU | Vitamin C: 2 mg | Calcium: 61 mg | Iron: 2 mg

We are a participant in

Sweet