Savoury Bread Recipes Uk

A savoury take on a light babka bread recipe, but using garlic and leek as the delicious filling. The idea is the bread is served like a pull apart bread served with soups, stews or for dipping in hummus. The twist method is really simple to recreate which I’ve shared on another twist bread recipe here.

Leek- When leeks are in season, this recipe is perfect. You can swap them out for a thick pesto instead. If you dice the leeks into small chunks it makes it easier to fold into the bread. You can give the leeks a steam to release a little flavour before adding to the twist bread, or simply add them raw.

Garlic

Butter- I refer to vegan butter as butter out of habit but you can use any dairy free spread or margarine whether it’s coconut based, soy based or oil based.

Savoury Cornbread Recipe

Sugar- If you’re sugar free, even just adding a little pinch will just help feed the yeast when activating. I’ve written caster sugar but you can use golden caster, cane sugar or even muscovado.

Garlic Powder- Using a garlic powder helps prevent the flavour from ‘burnt’ so by using fresh garlic it can sometimes catch and slightly burn. If you prefer to use fresh garlic or don’t have garlic powder, simply mince 1 garlic clove instead.

Kneading- Careful not to over knead the dough, it should only take around 5-7 minutes. It should have a bit of an elastic feel, so if you stretch the dough out it will slowly ping back. If you prod a finger onto the dough it should create a dint but then spring back.

Kids' Bread Recipes

Rolling out- You want to roll out the dough to around 1cm thick to create a beautiful base to create multiple layers to the twist.

Yeast- By letting the yeast react with the warm water and sugar first it allows it to activate and wake it up. This step can be skipped if you’re in a rush however it does work a little better if following this step at the beginning.

Delicious fluffy and light babka twist savoury bread with a leek and garlic butter filling. All vegan friendly, perfect to serve with soups, stews or to dip in hummus.Filled with layers of sun-dried tomatoes, cheese, basil, salami, roasted onions and garlic plus fennel seeds, you won’t be able to resist pulling off a piece and eating it warm from the oven.

Savoury Seeded Crackers

Although I make virtually all the bread we eat at home, I don’t usually go in for fancy shaped breads. I’ve always thought flavour should come first and that’s what I tend to concentrate on.

But I’ve been making bread for years now and am pretty happy with my no knead methods for crusty bread and sourdough loaves .

I was also spurred on by seeing the creations from the wonderful community of bakers who take part in the weekly #TwitterBakeAlong . Headed by Rob Allen and The Baking Nanna , when

Roasted Bell Pepper Savory Loaf Easy Recipe

Is on air the sharing of bakes turns into #GBBOTwitterBakeAlong . Even though I haven’t taken part that often, I love seeing what other people have produced based around that week’s challenges.

So, for bread week 2019 I chose the tear and share challenge. On the show, I was particularly impressed by Michael’s Keralan Star Bread .

Obviously I wasn’t expecting to create anything as beautiful as that. But I did think, however it turned out, my mixture of melting cheese, salami and other good things snuggled in freshly baked bread was going to taste very, very good.

Sun Dried Tomato And Olive Bread Recipe

I decided that the base of my Star Bread would be my usual no-knead, overnight dough. Leaving the dough overnight not only gives you better flavour, but time does the work of developing the gluten (a protein which allows bread to rise) so there’s no-need-to-knead.

Besides my usual flour, salt, instant yeast and water I added an egg and some olive oil to make the dough a little richer.

Because I make my own yogurt and strain some of it to make thick, Greek-style, I had some whey in the fridge. I use this in bread doughs so substituted this for some of the water. If you like, you can use all water, all milk or a mixture of the two.

Savoury

Herbed Savoury Monkey Bread

To make the dough, all you do is stir the ingredients together. It’s quite a wet dough, so don’t even think about trying to knead it. You’ll get into a right old mess. When the dough’s come together, just cover it with a damp tea towel or cling film and leave it overnight.

For my Star Bread, I wanted some classic Mediterranean flavours. Not quite pizza, but heading that way. I chose three different fillings.

My first layer was chopped sun-dried tomatoes sprinkled with some torn fresh basil leaves. On top of that I sprinkled some grated Parmesan and little cubes of Cheddar.

Savoury Bread Nests

I used these cheeses as they happened to be what I had in the fridge, but use any you fancy. I think mozzarella and goats cheese would be particularly good.

My second filling was salami. You could leave the slices whole, but I thought roughly chopping them would making cutting the bread easier.

My final layer was roasted chopped onion and garlic. To make sure they were nice and cold before putting them on the dough, I’d roasted them in a little olive oil the night before.

Savoury Tear & Share Star Bread

I included a few fennel seeds with the seasoning too as they’re one of my favourite spices. On top went more cheese.

As I hope you can see from the images above, you make this Star Bread by layering four circles of dough with the three fillings in between them. I did this on a round baking tray with a piece of baking paper on it so the cooked bread was easier to remove later.

Spicy

On top of the third filling went the fourth and last round of dough. Unless you’re an absolute expert at rolling out perfect circles of dough (clearly, I’m not), you’ll need to put a big plate, saucepan lid or similar over the stack of dough and cut around it to make a neat shape.

Everyday Low Carb Bread Recipe

Next, you put a pastry cutter, glass or similar in the centre of your dough. This acts as a temporary guide to help you make the cuts needed to form the star or flower.

Use a sharp knife as you need to cut through all the layers. I cut my dough into 12 sections, but might try 16 next time for a more intricate final bread.

For the next stage, you lift up two adjacent sections at a time and twist them in opposite directions, turning over twice. It’s a bit nerve wracking at first as the dough stretches and the fillings start to peep out. But that’s what’s supposed to happen and when you’ve done a couple, you’ll be fine.

Savory Keto Veggie Loaf

And that’s it. Now your Star Bread can be left to prove for another thirty or forty minutes while you preheat the oven.

Just before you bake the Star Bread, give it a brush with some beaten egg mixed with a little water. This will give it a nice gloss.

Then it’s into the oven for around 20-25 minutes. I’d check after about 15 minutes and lower the temperature a smidgen if you think the bread’s browning too quickly before it’s cooked through.

Easy Savory Bread Recipes

If you can bear it, cool the finished bread on a rack for a few minutes before tearing off a piece and eating.

Happiness

I loved the combination of melting cheese, sweet roasted onion, meaty salami and slightly smoky tasting sun-dried tomatoes. But I’m already thinking up flavours, sweet as well as savoury, for my next Star Bread.

I hate waste. So, having some dough trimmings from when I cut around my stacked layers, I made them into dough sticks while the Star Bread was proving.

Vegan Savoury Bread Pudding Aka Strata

All I did was bring together the scraps, roll them out thinly and cut into strips. I gave them a bit of a twist from both ends then put them on greaseproof paper on a baking tray.

A quick brush with the egg and water glaze, a sprinkle of Parmesan and a grind of black pepper then it was into the oven for around seven minutes, same temperature as the Star Bread.

Savoury Tear & Share Star Bread looks impressive, but it’s actually not difficult to create. Filled with layers of sun-dried tomatoes, cheese, basil, salami, roasted onions and garlic plus fennel seeds, you won’t be able to resist pulling off a piece and eating it warm from the oven.

Easy Wholemeal Bread Recipe

Filed Under: No-knead bread, Bread, All recipes, Christmas, Savoury Baking, Meat, Snacks, Cheese, Dairy & Eggs, Savoury Breads, Pork, Ham & Bacon, Baking, Recipes