Vegan Pumpkin Bread Recipe Ingredients

Ready or not, #PSL season has arrived! Let’s kick it off with VEGAN PUMPKIN BREAD. This marvelously moist, springy, and pumpkin-spiced bread is dairy-free, whole wheat, naturally sweetened, and uses a whopping WHOLE CAN of pumpkin (no weird pumpkin leftovers!).

Plus, this recipe contains NO OIL. The pumpkin does 100% of the lifting to make it super soft and tender, no extra fat or added sugars required.

Vegan

The vegan pumpkin bread came to be a few weeks ago on an unexpectedly chilly morning. A crisp breeze ruffled the leaves in that particular way that belongs distinctly to autumn. I found a can of pumpkin in the pantry and took a poll on Instagram to see how many of you were ready for pumpkin recipes.

Best Vegan Pumpkin Bread

While I have dozens of healthy pumpkin recipes on my site both sweet and savory, pumpkin bread is what I crave first when pumpkin season arrives.

I love the way it fills my house with warm scents of cinnamon and nutmeg, how fast and easy it is to make, and the way every bite wraps me up like the fuzzy plaid scarves waiting to emerge from my closet.

Pumpkin bread recipes are also some of the simplest to make healthy and still taste fab. Pumpkin itself is rich in Vitamin A, Vitamin C, antioxidants, iron, and more. Plus, since pumpkin is naturally moist, you can easily bake pumpkin bread without needing to add extra fat.

Gluten Free + Vegan Pumpkin Bread

I also make pumpkin bread first for no other good reason than that I adore it, which is perhaps the best reason of all.

It’s also probably the reason I have a cache of healthy pumpkin bread, all of which I love for uniquely delicious reasons: Paleo Pumpkin Bread (this one is gluten-free and beyond moist); Healthy Pumpkin Bread (the timeless classic); Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread (has oatmeal and made me everyone’s favorite co-worker in my last job); Pumpkin Banana Bread (best of both worlds)…and I’m not done yet.

As I mentioned, this vegan pumpkin bread is made without oil. Instead I used applesauce, and it worked like an absolute charm.

The Best Vegan Pumpkin Bread You'll Ever Eat

Even if you aren’t vegan, I encourage you to try this healthy vegan pumpkin bread. It rises sky high and tastes like glorious fall days to come.

This bread must be made with wheat flour. Coconut flour and almond flour will not work and cannot be substituted. If you’d like to make pumpkin bread with almond flour, please check out my Paleo Pumpkin Bread (linked above). I don’t have a coconut flour pumpkin bread (yet). Anyone interested?

In addition to sprinkling the nuts, seeds, and/or chocolate chips on top, you can also fold up to 1/2 cup into the batter.

Best Vegan Pumpkin Bread Recipe

Given my love of pumpkin and chocolate together, I suspect that a chocolate chip vegan pumpkin bread is sure to follow later this fall.

What are you most excited to bake this fall? I’d love to hear from you in the comments. And if you make this recipe, please let me know! Your enthusiasm and hearing you enjoy my recipes makes my day, every day ♥

Moist, DELICIOUS vegan pumpkin bread made with applesauce and no oil! EASY, packed with fall spices, and naturally sweetened, this recipe is the best!

Vegan Pumpkin Bread Recipe

Serving: 1 slice Calories: 190 kcal Carbohydrates: 41 g Protein: 4 g Fat: 1 g Saturated Fat: 1 g Potassium: 164 mg Fiber: 4 g Sugar: 17 g Vitamin A: 19 IU Calcium: 87 mg Iron: 1 mg

Best

Hi, I'm Erin Clarke, and I'm fearlessly dedicated to making healthy food that's affordable, easy-to-make, and best of all DELISH. I'm the author and recipe developer here at and of The Well Plated Cookbook. I adore both sweets and veggies, and I am on a mission to save you time and dishes. WELCOME!The best Vegan Pumpkin Bread is made with simple ingredients from your pantry and bakes up perfectly moist and flavorful! It uses 1 whole can of pumpkin puree, is healthy, dairy-free,

Who doesn’t love the taste of fall and what better way to bring in the fall than with a loaf of vegan pumpkin bread wafting through the air. Especially one that’s healthy and so easy to make!

Best Ever Pumpkin Bread

Turn on the oven, open up the windows and let your neighbors smell all the deliciousness. It’s seriously the best air freshener!

Adapted from my favorite Vegan Banana Bread, this pumpkin loaf baked up beautifully and worked well, replacing the banana with one whole can of pumpkin puree. It’s the best vegan pumpkin bread, if I do say so myself!

If you are a pumpkin lover, for variation, give this Vegan Pumpkin Oatmeal, Pumpkin Oat Muffins, or Pumpkin Spice Pancakes a try. The whole family will love them!

Healthy Pumpkin Bread {vegan}

In this recipe, flour, pumpkin puree & spice, sweetener, and almond milk are made into a batter and baked to perfection, creating a perfectly moist and flavorful loaf of the best vegan pumpkin bread.

Making vegan pumpkin bread is as easy as 1, 2, 3! Here you can find photos for reference when baking your loaf.

-

Can I make pumpkin bread gluten-free? Absolutely! You can use any gluten-free flour blend, oat flour, or buckwheat flour, replacing 1 – 1 the amount of flour called for. I do not recommend using all coconut flour as it’s tricky to work with.

Vegan Pumpkin Bread (healthy Gluten Free!)

Can I make this quick bread recipe oil-free? Yes! Replace the oil with unsweetened applesauce for a healthy oil-free pumpkin bread. The loaf may be a little denser but the flavor will still be great.

Can I make pumpkin bread without baking soda?You sure can! Instead of using baking soda, use 1 level tablespoon baking powder with great results!

Vegan quick breads are the best! They are so easy to make and can be kept stored in the refrigerator or freezer to keep longer. Take a look at these other quick bread recipes, you just may find yourself a new favorite!

Easy Vegan Pumpkin Bread

If you try this pumpkin loaf recipe or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.

Simple, minimal ingredients, bring in the fall season with a freshly baked loaf of pumpkin bread wafting through the air! This easy, 1 bowl pumpkin bread recipe is vegan + wfpb.

Mix: In a medium size bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt. In a 2 cup measuring cup, combine oil, sugar, water/milk and vanilla. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture along with the pumpkin puree and mix well. Careful not to over mix, but be sure there is no flour clumps. Taste batter, adjusting flavor or sweetness to your liking.

-

Healthy Pumpkin Bread Recipe

Bake: Pour batter into prepared loaf pan, place in oven, on center rake, and bake for 55 – 60 minutes. Once done, remove from oven and let cool 5 – 10 minutes. Remove loaf from pan and transfer bread to a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.

Use room temperature ingredients for best results. Cold ingredients do not incorporate as well as when they are at room temp. Room temp ingredients will yield a fluffier pumpkin loaf.

Adjusting oil: I’ve made this loaf using less oil, anywhere from  2 – 4 tablespoons, while substituting the remaining amount called for with almond milk or water. It turned out fabulous while cutting some fat out of the recipe. Use applesauce in place of oil as well, loaf may be a little denser – but still delicious!

Soft Vegan Pumpkin Bread With Brown Sugar Streusel Crust

Spices: I used the pumpkin pie spice mix plus some extra cinnamon. I like all the flavors. If using the individual spices adjust the measurement up to suit your taste. Use less spice if you want to taste more of the pumpkin. Remember to always start with the smaller amount and work your way up. You cannot take away, but you can always add.

Optional flax-eggs: Since there are no flax-eggs here, if you wish you can add two flax-eggs in place of the water + add 3 extra tablespoons water or you can simply add two tablespoons of flaxseed meal to the batter with the dry ingredients. Ground flax seeds have great nutritional benefits and can be added to boost the nutritional profile of this recipe. If you have some on hand, go for it!

Sugar adjustments: Adjust the sugar up a little if you like it a bit sweeter. Because this batter is on the thicker side, you can also add in up to 1/4 cup, or replace dry sugar with, warmed or room temperature pure maple syrup. Chilled maple syrup needs to be warmed or it will harden the coconut oil.

Vegan Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread

Maple Syrup: I have successfully made various loaves using 2/3 cup maple syrup at room temperature. I made a loaf using all unbleached all-purpose flour and another with half all-purpose and half whole wheat. Also, I tested one loaf with light flavored olive oil and another with applesauce. All my loaves baked up perfectly!

-

Toppings: Add chopped pepitas, walnuts or whole sesame seeds or oats to the top for added texture and visual appeal. Sometimes I will lightly sprinkle the top with raw sugar before baking (this is my daughters preferred topping). Even