Whole Wheat Italian Bread Recipe

If you have some bread baking experience under your belt and would like to try some baking with whole-wheat flour this is a great recipe to try.

The great thing about these wider, oblong loaves is that they hold together very well even if you haven’t quite perfected kneading whole grains.

Whole

While a beginner could make these loaves it is definitely helpful to have some kneading experience under your belt to have the best success with this recipe.

Easy Italian Bread Recipe

This recipe uses a sponge technique, which is just letting a bit of the flour soak with the water and yeast before finishing the rest of the bread.

In my experience, this is a great way to make whole grains, as the soaking helps make the bread a bit smoother, which is helpful for folks who like it a little less grainy.

This does mean you have to allow the dough to rise a total of three times but this just sitting and hands-off time.

Italian Herb Wheat Bread

To keep this a rustic Italian bread, I used a mixture of whole wheat flour and bread flour. The bit of bread flour keeps it a little lighter and more likely to be embraced by more folks.

You could use 100% whole wheat flour, if desired, add the flour slowly as it will absorb more water than the bread flour and you may need less.

There is a commercially available white whole wheat flour – I did not that test that in this recipe but imagine it would work out just fine.

Italian Wheat Pesto Bread Recipe

One of the easiest ways to add the moisture is to put some water in spray bottle and spray down the oven walls after you put the bread in the oven and close the door quickly.

A wide oblong loaf of bread is the shape of the white flour Italian bread of my youth and so the shape I always go with here.

It’s not the only choice, however, you could do long thin batards or round loaves. You could also bake in regular bread pans if desired.

Whole Wheat Panmarino

Watch the baking time – larger loaves will likely need more time, rolls will likely need about 10 or 15 minutes less.

It’s the perfect bread to serve alongside hearty one dish meals like creamy chicken noodle soup or with light salads to round out a meal.

Homemade

For longer term storage, wrap loaves in plastic wrap or store in freezer bags and freeze. You can also use a sharp serrated knife and slice the bread before freezing.I love making my own bread at home, but for some reason I haven’t baked a loaf of bread since Christmas although I do bake focaccia of some type every week or so. I recently planned to make a delicious Roasted Eggplant Spread that really needed to be served with some good crusty Italian bread so I got out my bread making tools.

Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Bread Recipe

I discovered the “no knead” bread making method a couple of years ago and do choose this method often for making good crusty, artisan style bread at home. For this version, I used the basic whole wheat recipe from the book Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day by Zoe Francois and Jeff Hertzberg.

This recipe makes enough for 4 (1 pound) loaves, although I will make 3 larger loaves from it. The best thing about this recipe is that once you mix the dough, you have the dough ready to make daily for a few different loaves. The dough does improve in flavor if it is left in the refrigerator at least overnight, so I’d advise mixing it at least the day before you plan to bake it.

I deviated from the original recipe in the book by using white wheat flour, skipping the addition of vital wheat gluten, adding a little olive oil, and I used a biga I keep in my refrigerator at all times. Although I kept my bread simple, you can fold in some chopped kalamata olives, lightly toasted walnuts, or some chopped fresh rosemary if you prefer.

Family Italian Bread

I dusted the exterior of my bread with sesame seeds, but a seed mix of sesame, flax, caraway, sunflower, and poppy seeds is also delicious. Although I added my biga to this bread, you can skip that step if you prefer, and simply add a little additional water. I find the biga adds a little extra flavor to the bread, but the bread is delicious without it as well.This homemade easy Italian bread recipe has been in my family for years. It requires just 4 ingredients and minimal hands-on-time, making it a great yeast bread recipe for bakers of all levels!

I also didn't realize how easy it was to make this Italian bread recipe until my Mom gave me the job of making it for the first time as a kid.

Easy

There are quite a few easy, beginner-friendly vegan yeasted bread recipes on this blog, my favorites being this Easy 4 Ingredient Whole Wheat Artisan Bread, this Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread (No-Knead!) and this amazing Irish Soda Bread recipe.

Villaggio® Italian Style Thick Slice 100% Whole Wheat Bread

However, this Italian bread recipe is probably the bread recipe I make most often. Not only does it make Italian bread loaves, you can also use this dough recipe to make Easy Vegan Pizza Bread and even flatbread!

Most yeasted bread recipes require just 4-5 ingredients, making them really easy to whip any day of the week. For this Italian bread recipe, you'll need just 5 ingredients which I'll list out below.

If you're new to making bread, this Italian bread recipe is for you! It really is so easy to prepare and results in fluffy, yet hearty loaves that you'll want to make every week.

Different Types Of Bread

Place the flour, yeast, salt and sugar into a food processor fitted with the dough hook. Pulse the ingredients together until just combined.

Turn the food processor on low and stream warm water into the food processor until a ball of dough starts to form. You want all the flour to stick together without the dough being too sticky, so add the water slowly to make sure it doesn't get too wet. Once the dough has formed, stop adding in water, yet allow the food processor to knead the dough for another minute or two.

-

Homemade bread always tastes the best when it is enjoyed fresh the day it is baked. However, if you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container for 1-2 days on the counter or for 3-4 days in the fridge.

Italian Bread Recipe

The bread will get harder and tougher the longer it sits, so be sure to zap it in the microwave to soften it back up!

This homemade Easy Italian Bread Recipe has been in my family for years. It requires just 4 ingredients and minimal hands-on-time, making it a great yeasted bread recipe for bakers of all levels!

Calories: 101 kcal Carbohydrates: 21 g Protein: 4 g Fat: 0.5 g Saturated Fat: 0.1 g Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1 g Monounsaturated Fat: 0.1 g Sodium: 234 mg Potassium: 53 mg Fiber: 1 g Sugar: 0.5 g Vitamin C: 0.01 mg Calcium: 5 mg Iron: 1 mg

Crusty No Knead Italian Bread

Plant Biased is my new cookbook and beginner's guide to eating a more plant based diet! I describe it as the book I wish I had when I went vegan back in 2013.